What's For Dinner #86 - the Apples, & Cider, & DONUTS, Oh MY! Edition - October 2022

BF has recently decided he likes yuzu kosho, so I am trying to find more places I can use it for week night dinners now!

2 Likes

I appreciate your recognizing that the photo wasn’t worth posting! It’s a good skill to have!

1 Like

Where do you live? If you’re close, can I please invite myself over for dinner?

1 Like

Ha!
(Visuals Art major, who worked at art galleries, and still makes art )

2 Likes

I’ll let him know. he has intermittent good puffiness. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

my symptoms are now mostly i want to sleep a lot. my thing is i want to be negative before I go to my sister’s again (which i normally do 2x a week and now have only been once in 3 weeks), so I’m trying to get all better and not take any chances. So, a martini will have to wait a little while.

Gin is a quite big deal in Spain! i’ll take a pic of the bottle when i make my first cocktail with it.

6 Likes

Mrs. P made Trader Joe’s sweet and savory spatchcocked chicken with a side of pureed kabocha squash, fuji apples, and heavy cream. Thank you @greygarious for the excellent Trader Joe’s recommendation from the TJ’s thread.

16 Likes

Roasted chicken tonight, using this recipe, but cooking it slower, and without a brick. Will make it again.

Spaghetti with jarred tomato basil sauce as a side.

12 Likes

That’s the oil temp then. Needs to be hot when the puri goes in, then use the skimmer or spider to submerge it under the hot oil till it completely puffs.

Test oil by dropping a tiny ball of dough in - if if sinks but resurfaces immediately, oil is ready, but if it sinks and takes a while to resurface, it isn’t ready yet.

My sib tried to come by with his thermometer and was promptly booted by both fry cooks :joy:

5 Likes

Dinner tonight is braised pollock and bok choy, with ginger, garlic, and scallions over brown rice. No particular recipe; made on the fly. Perfect for the third dreary, rainy day in a row. Leftovers for dinner tomorrow too!

17 Likes

Spice-rubbed pork tenderloin with roasted carrots, jalapeno and garlic. Salad starter, (kale, cabbage, radicchio, broccoli & brussels sprouts) plus snap peas, yellow bell, green onion, honey mustard dressing. I’m an equal opportunity boozer, Bombay G&T, Beefeater rocks.

18 Likes

thanks for the tips! i’ll pass them along.

Meatloaf sandwich for Le Dîner (NB - i had a smaller one for bfast too :slightly_smiling_face:). With 'Murican cheese this time, and cornichons, yellow mustard, Kewpie mayo, on buttered/grilled sourdough. And cheeps! BF had corn dogs. I ordered them from Instacart cuz he had a hankering (along with other things we were needing while quarantining.) And reheated fries he’d frozen a long time ago. A little green salad, too.

corn dogs & fries

20 Likes

Red beans and rice with homemade kielbasa. Roasted broccolini from the garden.

18 Likes

Pad kra pao gai following Mark Wiens’s recipe , with frozen holy basil and chicken thigh instead of chicken breast.

20 Likes

Stir fry of celery with bacon
Screenshot 2022-10-26 at 9.26.36 PM

14 Likes

No photographs of the meal tonight but made a delectable sandwich of grilled chicken, sautéed broccoli rabe, provolone, and a balsamic aioli that I quickly whipped up that was too amazing-- just mayo, balsamic vinegar, garlic, salt, and pepper. I made it to counteract the broccoli rabe in case of bitterness, but it ended up not being bitter at all. Still slathered it on. Do try it sometime. I even impressed my normal pessimistic self. Side of air-fried shoestring fries.

Did photograph my drink: a chocolate Old Fashioned. It was good but too sweet. Switched to a Maker’s rocks afterwards.

17 Likes

Down in the Yucatan for our annual pretend “we live in Mexico” month or two. My favorite asadero spot was closed (how could they!) so instead stopped by the tortilleria around the corner and used what we had at home — chorizo con queso tacos and a kind of grilled cheese panucho (I can’t get enough of this queso Oaxaca obviously).

23 Likes

A month in the Yucatan! Sounds like heaven and your food is gorgeous.

4 Likes

Thanks. It’s easy when the ingredients are so good.

4 Likes