What's for Dinner #85: The Falling Leaves Edition - September 2022

Wow to your homemade tapas evening!

Re goat cheese, you can mix in a tiny bit of cream to soften the texture.

You reminded me of one of my favorite tapa at a place that sadly closed during the pandemic - discs of goat cheese sliced off a log, breaded and fried, then drizzled with honey and topped with caramelized onions. Salty, sweet, savory, everything in a bite! (Maybe I’ll be inspired by your Dali-esque meal and try my hand at it one of these days…)

6 Likes

This would be a great tapa nosh!

3 Likes

14 Likes

We see you were able to get out to shop.
Screen Shot 2022-09-04 at 8.40.03 AM

3 Likes

They are YUMMY!!
I rinse the livers (strainer) shake off the excess water, lightly dredge in flour, then egg, then breadcrumbs (I add a little chili powder & salt to my breadcrumbs). I fry them on one side on the stove (until golden brown), flip them and into a 375 (F) oven. I start checking them (after 10 minutes or so) with an instant read thermometer until they hit 165-170 (F) internal. The other side browns in the oven.

6 Likes

Consider the WatchDuty app (also has a browser option): https://www.watchduty.org/ - real-time updates on fires and can set alerts by county. Otherwise, if you’re on Twitter, there are a couple accounts that keep on top of things.

Back to food. As we’re under the Heat Dome, and do not have central AC (so it’s over 95-degrees in the kitchen!), no cooking is happening. Instead, pizza:

22 Likes

Those pizze look fabulous!

6 Likes

Last night we camped. Aged Tillamook cheddar with my new homemade fig chutney on Ritz, followed by grilled pizza (better in concept than execution :rofl:):

Lost some toppings and some of the dough didn’t cook through.

22 Likes

Oops. But isn’t that what makes camping so … special? :wink:

5 Likes

You win some, you lose some.

1 Like

@shrinkrap put me in the mood for Sunday roast. Roasted pork shoulder and today’s pickings. Polenta , corn on the cob and Bush’s (canned) baked beans not pictured. Farm Boy apple pie for dessert.

23 Likes

Quick easy dinner after two hours in the car both ways to visit BF’s parents who are up visiting from Florida - Kung Pao Shrimp in a tortilla for burritos. Mostly followed the Kung Pao recipe in Dunlop’s Land of Plenty, but used chili bean paste instead of dried red chiles for heat and tightened up the sauce a little so it would be less messy in the tortilla. Excellent, considering how quickly it came together!

21 Likes

Sausage, caramelized onion, and arugula pizza with slivered fresh basil, and using some of the Dave’s Gourmet tomato sauce (too watery for pizza, but I made do) and drizzled with peppered olive oil.

Wine.

21 Likes

Half a homegrown Mr Stripey heirloom tomato the size of my head, sliced local nectarine, basil, special olive oil, burrata, S+P.

22 Likes

Those Mr. Stripeys may just be one of my favorite heirlooms :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

Yet another burrata caprese with avocado - tis the season. This was our appetizer before the main event: yet another BLT - tis the season :smile:

Was gonna nuke a COTC but decided that was going to be too much food. That BLT was ginormous!

23 Likes

We have beef minute steak in the freezer imported from the Midwest by my FIL. I repurposed some of it into beef with Chinese broccoli served over jasmine rice. We are a bit bummed to call our camping trip short due to rain.

25 Likes

Panko-crusted halibut sandwiches with garden veg.

23 Likes

How do they taste to you? This is my first time growing them, and I’m honestly not in love with them. At least the ones I grew are a little too… I don’t know, subtle. Some of them are pretty wan. Could just be my particular plant. They’re so enormous, though, that I feel bad not eating them!

1 Like

19 Likes