What's for Dinner #85: The Falling Leaves Edition - September 2022

This is my mother’s recipe, she called it “American Goulash”. I’m not sure if that is the correct term or not. I’ve tweaked her recipe a bit by adding “Chamoy” hot sauce.

14 Likes

Enjoy! And please report your finds!

1 Like

emglow, please continue to update. CaFire reporting and mapping is frustrating,
This real time aircraft reporting is our country go-to.

Hope your wine stock is replenished. As is charcoal and water. All good thoughts.

5 Likes

The power just came on 20 minutes ago . Fire is burning. 20 percent containment. Around 4 thousand acres .Sad

10 Likes

Last night we had a chicken and penne gratin. Pure comforting indulgence.

23 Likes

We’ll be in Boston in two weeks. Have to make sure we get to Dali!

4 Likes

Im glad your power is back. Hopefully they can continue to increase the containment and put it out completely very soon.

4 Likes

It was a good day.

Great haircut today. And I brought a little thank you gift for Mrs. Quinn, an elderly regular patron of the salon, who is in there almost every Saturday, and every time I’m in there, she tells me how beautiful my hair and hair color is (natural and going gray fast!) after my stylist is done with me. Seriously good ego boost! Seeing her face light up was everything to me and made my day.

Then my every 5-week visit to my Happy Place.
Picked up 5 coral-colored scallops, and decided to go with Tapas Night #2.

First up in the mid-afternoon was Manchego, Membrillo quince paste, Marcona almonds, grapes, and strawberries (from Canada…very nice and sweet!)

An hour or so later was Patatas Bravas with a garlicky-lemony alioli, and Baked Goat Cheese with Tomato and Basil with lightly toasted sourdough bread for dipping. I used some Dave’s Gourmet Roasted Garlic and Sweet Basil sauce that was slightly chunky. Very good sauce, but need to work on the goat cheese. I used part of a log; I need to find out what Dali used to make it more melty.

Finally, the scallops became Scallops in Saffron Cream Sauce. A nice way to stretch out some noshing over 4+ hours.

No sangria. Just wine. But I think I’m good for tapas for awhile.

28 Likes

Cheers for your happy hair day!

6 Likes

Tonight’s dinner is breaded fried chicken livers, mashed potatoes and peas. I’m still learning how much initial heat to use with my cast iron skillet (when browning). It was nice to start these on top of the stove then into the oven to finish (375 degrees).

14 Likes

Damn . I’m going to dive through the phone for a taste.

5 Likes

Deleted by poster,

On a whim, having no idea how to care for them, I planted two tomatillo plants in my garden in spring. They exploded!

I made rick bayless’ simple roasted tomatillo salsa with them, and tonight for dinner I braised two eggs in the sauce, added some cilantro and it was delicious.

28 Likes

Tonight’s dinner was Better Than Take Out Stirfried Udon inspired by @:MunchkinRedux

19 Likes

There’s that crappy lighting again.

Chicken and garden green bean stir-fry from Woks of Life. Asian marinated cucumber salad. Steamed rice.

For dessert: homemade peach frozen yogurt.

22 Likes

Pizza. Stonefire thin crust, Rao’s pizza sauce, dabs of garlic galore pesto, Italian sausage, fennel, onion, bell pepper, black olives and finished with burrata, basil, rpf.
Klamath cantaloupe from the farmers market, so good, it perfumed my car on the trip home. Fresh ground Himalayan pink salt and Tellicherry peppercorns. Wine.

The Queen is alive and well.

22 Likes

We enjoyed another excellent dinner at The Farmer’s Daughter, in Newtown, NJ, with some friends, including excellent crab cakes, fried dough with straciatella cheese, and tomatoes, herb and cheese filled pasta purses with zucchini noodles, brown butter and capers; mahi mahi, filet mignon, chocolate/peanut butter cake. It all went great with a few red wines.

14 Likes

It’s grateful to have the power back on after 22 hours . Praying for others in the fire. Leftover beans in the can from last night’s lights out dinner . Traeger pork ribs , with a tomato from Mt Shasta. English cucumber and shallot . Cheers.

27 Likes

That’s such an interesting idea! I’ve had chicken livers all my life and not once thought about breading them. Was it delicious? And do you cook yours all the way through?

1 Like

Late afternoon mood lighting. :grin:

1 Like