What's for Dinner #85: The Falling Leaves Edition - September 2022

I wouldn’t rename anything :joy: - you do you!

Given the liberties people take with food here, I find this whole back and forth on what is and isn’t what drink kind of hilarious for what is obviously a creative take.

4 Likes

Espresso Martini, Chocolate Martini, etc, etc.

2 Likes

Tough crowd here.

2 Likes

In four years on this forum, I don’t think I’ve ever had the arrogance to correct someone, either directly or indirectly. Maybe its because I deal with rudeness all day and there are better discussions to be had.

7 Likes

I noticed when living in Berlin that most Germans I knew didn’t like the flavor and it’s much less ubiquitous in bakeries, etc. Not popular.

1 Like

I’m sure I must have, but mostly I try to see the humor in what each of us gets hung up on, because it’s a wide range :joy:

Back to your pumpkin martini, I didn’t know there was such a thing as pumpkin liqueur so I learned something! I just assumed it was pumpkin spice shaken with various things.

And while I don’t love pumpkin spice (it’s the overwhelming cinnamon and nutmeg or allspice, not sure which), I do love an old fashioned or similar with a bit of a twist (like cardamom bitters).

A few years back when I was on a shrub kick, I also made some flavored and spiced simple syrups — ginger was really good in these kinds of drinks in the fall and winter! (Friends who drink a lot more than I do got all the syrups, and have requested a redo of the ginger one for fall mixology :grinning:)

3 Likes

Always a good add for fall-like syrups.

1 Like

Arrogance? Oh, my. Sorry my post came across as “correcting” you. I figured someone as versed in cocktails and their history would be a bit more adamant about terminology.

I’m certainly no purist about pretty much anything, but I’m a martini drinker. And so, to me – and most of the rest of the cocktail world, a martini is gin, vermouth, and maybe bitters. Further, my (perhaps) fierce reaction was more based on the pumpkin part than anything.

You do you, and call drinks whatever you fancy :wink:

It can only be called martini if it has ingredients aligned with what a martini should be or if I make a Dark’n’Stormy and put it in a martini glass would you also call it a martini ?

same here re sweet drinks, but I’d try it if you made it!

Me personally, no, I would not. That’s a cocktail with its own distinct name. However, you may have a bar call it a Ginger-tini or a [insert whatever]-tini to convey that it is served “up”. Doesn’t make it right, but bars have all kinds of -tinis. There’s textbook and there’s reality, and fact is, the landscape of cocktails is ever-changing.

4 Likes

Blasphemy!!

I am clearly in the minority that likes vodka martinis…

1 Like

Its funny that I, who drinks gin martinis 99% of the time, caused this entire chain by 1) making a random vodka martini for myself last night and 2) putting my pumpkin-whatever-the-fuck into a rocks glass without checking my bartending manual first.

5 Likes

My faux outrage was directed at @ottawaoperadiva. I’m not anal about what people choose to call their cocktails. Perhaps if you had called it a pumpkin-tini? You’re forgiven.

I do hope you realize this is all in good humor. It’s a conversational board after all. As a huge martini lover, who likes to try most any new gin in a dry AF one, things like chocolatini and espressotini are just… meh.

Didn’t mean to yuck anyone’s yum, and as I said earlier: drink what makes you happy, and call it whatever you want.

Peace out.

2 Likes

Absolutely! Cheers!:cocktail:

1 Like

Even a goldfish?

My adherence to specificity in language - within reason, of course - is just this: if I order a martini, I want to know what I’m getting. I expect (as @linguafood said) gin, vermouth, and maybe bitters. If I ordered a martini and got something with espresso or chocolate or pumpkin or bubblegum or even vodka, I would be at the very least disappointed.

The English language is pretty damn vast. It has enough words to make a name for pretty much any combination of liquors you want to throw together. So why piggyback? Create something new!

Also, I’m no slouch at coming up with drink names. Currently, I’ve invented the Good Save, and the Byproduct. And I gave this name away to someone who needed it: the Fruit Bat. So if you need me, let me know.

1 Like

Gorgeous day that truly felt like the first fall day: cobalt blue skies, sunny, brisk.

Still nice enough to grill, so I picked up a 2.5lb branzino at the local fishmonger today – simply stuffed it with thyme & brushed with lemon pepper-seasoned olive oil. Came out nicely, save for the loss of skin the fish suffered after being handled by my PIC :face_with_open_eyes_and_hand_over_mouth:

Since I was looking for a different side from the usual salad, I had spanakorizo on the brain. Wouldn’t ya know it? Had an orzo riff on it in my NYTC recipe box, and all the ingredients around, save for the dill… which would’ve made the dish even better, but we made do with parsley. Keeper.

16 Likes

Masala Halibut, farmer’s market cauliflower with ginger, garlic and Indian spices, David Lebovitz’s corn recipe, [Vaghareli Makhai]
(https://www.davidlebovitz.com/vaghareli-makai-spicy-indian-corn-recipe/), using homegrown corn, slow cooked green beans & zucchini, rice.
Commercial strawberry rhubarb pie from FarmBoy.

18 Likes