What's for Dinner #85: The Falling Leaves Edition - September 2022

THE ‘RED AND WHITE’ MARGAUX SHOW!

Ever since Covid restrictions were lifted and restaurant dine-in has become part of our daily life again. I have started to engage in more and more culinary related activities. One such event involves a weekly ‘Chinese food‘ dinner gathering amongst foodie friends and relatives.

Initially, the main focus was indeed centred on food. Wines brought along for the ride were treated mostly as supporting casts. However, unbeknown and slow to recognised by the food-centric gourmands in our group, this weekly event has somehow morphed into a ‘Vino’ affair instead. An outcome generated by the insertion of much better quality wines from some participants. Suddenly, the wines commanded a front row seat and became the stars that outshines the food!

Tonight’s event was another such scenario. After enjoying weeks of wine orgies fashioned by the likes of Gran Reserva Riojas/Priorats, Super Tuscans, Grand Cru Alsaces, Classed Growth Bordeaux……etc., and culminating in last week’s climax brought about by a First Growth bottle of 1998 Haut Brion. This time, we decided to elevate things up a few notches more……How about indulging in two bottles of Red and White from First Growth Bordeaux Estate?! Our choices settled on the esteemed and illustrious Chateau Margaux. A 1999 Chateau Margaux and a 1998 Pavillon Blanc de Chateau Margaux. ( plus a bottle of 2014 Leoville-las-cases, Clos du Marquis as backup……just in case?! ). Once again, the wines ended up costing more than the meal, trumped the food effortlessly and shifted most of our attention and enjoyment away from the edibles.

1999 was a fine vintage year for Margaux. True to its ‘consistent form‘, the Chateau offered a seductive and fabulously perfumed wine. Taking over a couple of hours to open-up, the wine exudes aroma of black and red fruits/currants, vanilla and a nice shot of dark chocolate. Acidity was balanced; medium to full bodied, with a formidable mouthfeel of fine, cedar tannin. Austere, complex and concentrated and IMO still has some ageing potential.

The 100% Sauvignon Blanc, 1998 Pavillon Blanc, was one of the best Sauv Bl I have tasted and indeed worthy of being called best white in the Medoc. Green and flinty with a lively bouquet of white peach, Chinese plum and lemon/lime citrusy notes. The typical grassy element was minimal. Wine was well balanced, smooth and well rounded with crisp acidity. Almost Burgundy-like, probably due to its oaky component. A very classy wine!

As for the food. Since the venue was O’Mei……Yup! you guessed it right! It’s back to the good-old ‘Giant Lobster Multiple Ways‘ routine……AGAIN!..tasty but to some of us, becoming repetitive and boring! Sigh!!

However, based on taste and the evaluation criteria laid down by Michelin, this superb and delectable creation by O’mei, IMO, should deserve a serious mention in future edition of Toronto Michelin Recommended Guide for Chinese Restaurant!!

Lastly, for a change, maybe time for me to form a more humble and less profligate ‘ Noodle and Congee ‘ splinter group?! Ha!

15 Likes

Fusili with meatballs (made from salsicce) in a sauce from diced tomatoes, onion, garlic, rosemary, fennel seeds and parmesan.

17 Likes

This sandwich never gets old. Shared, and still some leftover. Fries via air fryer on the side.

Bomby Rocks to drink.

18 Likes

Ok . Here’s my guess. Sliced fresh mozzarella. Chicken breast . Possibly grilled . Fabulous tomato with a drizzle of balsamic vinegar on a great baguette.

4 Likes

It looks lije there’s some roasted red pepper too.

4 Likes

9 Likes

Oh yes there is . Good eye.

1 Like

All I can guess . Is pork , cabbage, rice . There is so much more to this . I’m pretty sure I hit a pop fly to short center field for the out .

1 Like

It wasn’t balsamic. It was the toasted edges of the peppers.

Actually a solid triple, almost an inside the park homerun.

Lions Head Meatballs, Napa Cabbage, dried shrimp (not shown) and rice

2 Likes

Love it . I might be stealing home plate on the next at bat . I’m on third .

1 Like

What flavor Kit Kats are those? The Sprout usually buys a new variety every time she goes to HMart. The last ones were Banana Caramel for her dad who LOVES banana stuff.

@emglow101 @ottawaoperadiva

Yes, roasted as well as hot cherry peppers.

1 Like

I loved reading this! Your wine descriptions are A+. Keep 'em coming.

2 Likes

I’m gonna guess graham/barley, something along those lines. I bet they’re fantastic!

1 Like

Last night’s dinner was hamburger quesadillas and “Knorr” Taco Rice. My girlfriend likes her quesadillas fairly plain, just hamburger and cheese. I put hot sauce in mine, though.

12 Likes

I should hope so!

1 Like

SUCH a feast!

1 Like

@emglow101 - if you can steal home, you’re DEFINITELY not playing for the Red Sox this season. :wink:

4 Likes

Agree. Everyone liked the banana caramel but I don’t like bananas so didn’t expect to like them.