What's for Dinner #85: The Falling Leaves Edition - September 2022

Another cut of meat originally intended for the grill, but cooked indoors due to a burn ban.

Pork tenderloin with a Greek-style marinade. Chopped veggie Greek salad. Crispy pan-fried potatoes optional.

Salad fixings and spuds from the garden.

19 Likes

Roasted pork tenderloin with cranberry sauce sauce, carrots, brown sugar, cinnamon, cayenne pepper a splash of oj and tpstob. Salad, mixed green, apple (from the only tree my garden that had any apples this year) snap peas, celery, honey mustard dressing. Sangria.

18 Likes

I don’t have a answer for you . I would like to .
Crushed tomatoes , some salt and pepper, small amount of garlic . Cook for twenty minutes on medium heat . My trick is to toss basil stems and all after I turn off the heat . Then remove. Cook pasta. Remove pasta from water . Add to pan with a small amount of sauce . Toss, toss , toss . Maybe you might need to add a little water . Less is best . Pasta in a swimming pool of sauce is not what you’re looking for .

1 Like

Day off today. What’s that? Chores. Errands. Did manage a stop at H Mart.

By the time we got home, we decided to order out. But we did manage this: Seafood Pancakes from H Mart. They contain octopus, shrimp, and various other ingredients. Lightly pan fried and drizzled with Kewpie Mayo and Okonami Sauce.

To drink: First batch of Pumpkin Pie Martinis. I personally don’t drink them, but I do like shaking ‘em up. Pennsylvania Dutch Pumpkin Spice Liqueur, splashes of rum and Scotch, and a dusting of Trader Joe’s pumpkin pie spice. Could also add a crushed Graham Cracker rim but I didn’t have any. I’m sticking with a regular ol’ gin martini myself.

19 Likes

I am not ChristinaM, but I like some of the Trader Joe’s bottled pasta sauces, eg marinara. Good basic taste, can be tweaked as needed.

I also like the Harris Teeter (grocery store chain, now a subsidiary of Kroger) store brand. Their Arrabiata is very good and spicy, I hope they don’t change the formula. Some of their other tomato-based flavours, e.g. basil or mushroom are also good. All these require little to no tweaking for me.

4 Likes

11 Likes

Brussel sprouts, brown rice , salmon with dill ,and kimchi?

2 Likes

Ding ding ding!

We have a winner!

2 Likes

I like my own pasta sauce. But I don’t like most bottled sauces. That’s why I was curious.

(There’s a whole jarred sauce thread where folks have shared their favorites, and everyone’s palate is different.)

2 Likes

I’m a fan of Aldi’s Specially Selected Premium Marinara, $2.89 for 24 ounces. in googling I found that there’s (pretty persuasive) speculation that it’s Rao’s.

https://www.thekitchn.com/best-pasta-sauce-aldi-23228632

ETA: the specially selected premium vodka sauce is good, too.

5 Likes

Really? That’s good to know. I usually make my own pasta sauce, but there are nights where I can’t be arsed… then it’s Rao’s to the rescue.

We have two Aldi in town, so I’ll pick some up next time to do a side-by-side taste test. That would be a steal, compared to Rao’s!

3 Likes

I was up in Salem, New Hampster a couple of weeks ago and chose NOT to go to the Aldis that’s there, because of my remembered disappointment in the 2 times I’ve stopped there. But now that so many note the “good stuff” that’s there, I might have to try it one more time.

2 Likes

Once drained, toss with a little butter. Or TPSTOB.

I will have to try this!

1 Like

So glad to see another who believes Rao’s is overrated. I bought several varieties and am slowly using them. It’s not that they aren’t good, it’s just that they don’t seem to be any better than less expensive brands.

These are basically my husband’s 4 food groups. And he’s not even Asian/Korean! :smile:

3 Likes

For a good, in our opinion, tomata/basial sauce, the Bertolli brand has a lip-smacking flavor.

1 Like

Roasted pork tenderloin seasoned with olive oil, s/p, dried thyme, paprika and roasted garlic powder. Served with defrosted Plum Ketchup and sides of roasted Herbs de Provence potatoes and buttered peas and corn.

And despite it being Wednesday, I had a glass of wine.

21 Likes

Leftovers from Monday for me plus a Greek salad my PIC requested to accompany his burger - another way to use up leftovers. Not the most congruent meal, but …… congruent, shmongruent :woman_shrugging:t3:

17 Likes

Rick Bayless’s Roadside Chicken modified for boneless-skinless kebabs in a home oven (outdoor burn ban continues). Red rice from the AMA cookbook. Chopped garden veggie salad in a lime and avocado-oil vinaigrette. Homemade refries.

14 Likes