What's for Dinner #85: The Falling Leaves Edition - September 2022

You are right . I should have known better . Recipes are always a disaster for me . Unless I’m baking . And that’s once in a blue moon.

1 Like

Pan fried tilefish with potatoes, shiitakes, tomatoes, and sage, adapted from Heart and Soul by Kyle Kwong, roasted green beans on the side. Will repeat again with the rest of the tilefish tomorrow. Tasty and quick!

15 Likes

Thai red curry broth with silken tofu, spinach, corn, heirlooms, wild-caught cod, dill, Thai basil, scallions.

Hit the spot, and there’s leftovers :slight_smile:

16 Likes

Firefighters! Super heroes. 24 hour shifts in ungodly heat, carrying a hundred pounds of gear. A neighbor, 82 years old, mans a watertender. He was out Saturday night until 1am. And his job is relatively easy. The last big fire in our area was stopped 100 yards up the hill from our place. The base camp was at the bottom of our hill. We scoured the larder and made multiple batches of brownies for the rotating crews, Until we ran out of provisions. They were super appreciative and it was hard for us to get across that, NO, it is we who are thankful.

16 Likes

Let’s just say . They bust ass , long hours , in extreme conditions to protect us . All of them do , police , sheriff , ambulance. And all the first responders. Thank you so much for your service . When you dial 911 . Your so glad to see them. A little thread drift . Just giving thanks.

6 Likes

Perfect weather today, 70 degrees, no smog. A negroni on the deck.

Dinner was fried calamari fingers with tarter sauce, rice pilaf, salad of chopped little gem, red onion, avocado, sun sugar tomatoes (from the garden) blue cheese and ranch dressing.

19 Likes

I had some small boneless chicken thighs in the freezer, so they became dinner tonight (baked with some BBQ sauce). Rice-a-roni and mixed vegetables were the sides. A quick & easy dinner with minimal cleanup.

10 Likes

Sausage, beans and greens. Leftover homemade focaccia from the freezer.

Kale, tomato and shallot from the garden.

15 Likes

You don’t see much love for bluefish, especially among NJ fishers but it is one of my favorites. I love the idea of combining it with rosemary. I’m hoping Mr Bean will “accidentally” catch and keep some one of these days despite the ridicule.

3 Likes

I’m very fond of it. It’s cheap, easy to prepare, versatile.

2 Likes

Me too!! I like it so many ways - broiled with Gochujang sauce, baked with various mustards or tomatoes, smoked, etc.

2 Likes

I love bluefish.

1 Like

Last night I made old skool tacos with the works. The filling was finely shredded and sauteed zucchini and onion, 1lb of ground beef, and about 1/2 c red lentils braised with homemade seasoning blend. Mexican rice and beans on the side (a bit mushy but tasty). My kiddo loved this, which helps.

19 Likes

Trader Joe’s Porcini Mushroom and Truffle Triangolini with a garlic and sundried tomato sauce was dinner.

I sauteed minced onions until they were barely translucent, then added some chopped oil-packed sundried tomatoes, minced garlic, and a squidge of tomato paste and stirred to blend. Some heavy cream and grated Parm-Reg was added until it thickened, with a pinch of s/p, and the cooked triangolini were added to the sauce to warm up.

Topped with a bit more Parm-Reg, and it was a quick and easy Tuesday night dinner.

21 Likes

I got home late from a doctor’s appointment and was too tired to make the salmon salad I had planned for dinner so it’s getting bumped to tomorrow. So tonight I had stirfried carrots and snow peas seasoned with garlic and dried oregano served over fettucine.

13 Likes

First pot roast of the season. It’s almost fall, y’all.

3 Likes

Tonight it was just me and the kiddo. I made his favorite - spaghetti and meatballs. The sauce was Rao’s, the pasta angel hair at his request, and the meatballs vegetarian from Aldi. I made garlic bread with hot dog buns. Rao’s seems overrated - I’ve bought equally good jars that aren’t $6-10/jar. Garden tomato salad on the side.

19 Likes

I have bought Rao’s sauce before. I was expecting the wow factor . I like my sauce . It’s a bit overated in my opinion.

3 Likes

WFD was a fried chicken salad. Once upon a many years ago, when we first stayed the weekend with the in laws, we brought them a salad recipe book and a couple pretty bottles of flavored vinegar. This salad in some way, shape, or form, arose from that book. But since I haven’t seen the recipe in 20 or more years, I can’t say how much we’ve departed. In any case, it’s always greens, sweet onions, beets, bread&butter pickles, and some type of breaded chicken. Today I cheated and got fried tenders at the store. A white cheese - today chevre, sometimes blue, and a honey mustard dressing. Served with some cream biscuits to make it more substantial.

20 Likes

There’s been plenty of discussion on Rao’s on one of the jarred pasta sauce threads, but I’m curious which cheaper jars you’ve found equivalent (or better) because it would be nice to have a cheaper equivalent. I’m about to buy some Carbone bec it’s on sale, but in the past the only one that came close for me was Batali’s.

(I buy Rao’s arrabbiata, not marinara. I don’t find it spicy, just flavorful.)

4 Likes