What's for Dinner #85: The Falling Leaves Edition - September 2022

Only 2 dinners last night (as is typical at our house):

• For Spring Onion: breakfast for dinner (scrambled eggs and protein pancakes)

• For the other 2 humans: bucatini with shrimp / broccoli / corn cut off 2 cobs / white wine / crushed red pepper. Glug of pasta water. B grated Parmesan on his.

The broccoli was originally going to be a side dish with nutritional yeast but I threw it in the pan at the last minute, not wanting to dirty a 3rd pan.

From 2 nights ago, peanut noodles with Arctic char, air fried broccoli, green beans, corn (B’s plate - no char for me).

15 Likes

They look so enticing in the photo!

1 Like

In our house this would have looked like:

Adults: pasta with the works
Kiddo: bucatini with butter and Parmesan (maybe some cream)/tomato paste, side of corn, tiny morsels of broccoli and shrimp which he might sample or might adamantly refuse depending on his mood.

It’s exhausting sometimes, ain’t it? Breakfast for dinner is always a hit here, too.

4 Likes

OMG. I’d be sitting in my bathtub in either ice water, or surrounded by cold cubed watermelon :slight_smile:

3 Likes

What do y’all do on your numerous camping trips besides cook and eat?

Looking good but from my experience, 90% of the California rolls sold in restaurants and 95% in groceries are made with krab and not crab.

1 Like

Honestly, in my opinion, it really doesn’t make a difference in prepared sushi, esp. a typical restaurant-style roll with avocado, seasoned rice, cucumbers and sometimes odd thing like cream cheese, because you’re never going to taste the delicate sweet brininess of real crab.

Heck, sometimes they even drizzle on some teriyaki sauce or Sriracha … at that point, you could put cotton balls in there and no one would care, or even notice.

6 Likes

I don’t disagree but the OP said he made HIS California rolls. I was just remarking that HIS are how everyone does it, with few exceptions. A lot of people like all the cream cheeses and sauces and such. I’m much more of a purist. But I like a good California roll, and if it’s made with real crab, I can taste the difference.

1 Like

(post deleted by author)

I didn’t know that… Now I don’t feel so bad for serving imitation crab in my California Rolls. Thanks!! :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

So much so that if a place serves real crab, they make a point of noting it on the menu. We all assume it’s surimi until told otherwise.

3 Likes

Have been in a non-cooking mode this week.
Leftovers or stuff pulled from the freezer.

So to break the spell, I took out a chicken breast last night to defrost.

Oh…I have black figs to use up.
Off to The Google.

This worked. Used white wine instead of chicken broth, added the shallots while the chicken was still cooking, then splashed in a healthy blup of white wine and covered for 5 minutes before adding the mashed figs and balsamic mixture. I used 3 figs for one breast, didn’t peel the figs (WHY do that?)

Served on leftover Basmati rice with steamed green beans alongside. Not overly attractive, but it tasted good.

And wine.

20 Likes

Swim and play in lakes and on beaches, attend music festivals, hike, drink bloody Marys… oops.

12 Likes

It’s still BLT season.

18 Likes

Terrible lighting, awful plating, good dinner!

Zucchini pizza with basil pesto and 3 cheeses. Garden tomatoes on the side.

22 Likes

I mailed it in tonight for dinner. Shake & Bake Pork Chops, Kraft Mac & Cheese and mixed vegetables. My girlfriend added a small cup of apple sauce to go with her pork chop.

14 Likes

Another hot day, got up to 95, it’s now 68.
Had an ish dinner. Seared a blsl seasoned chicken thigh, sauteed onions and garlic, deglazed with chicken broth and then added a mole-ish sauce and roasted. Relleno-ish casserole. Stuffed Hatch chiles with pepper jack, placed in a mini loaf pan and covered with beaten egg, into the oven and when set added grated sharp cheddar. Salad was half of a Little Gem, smothered in aji verde ranch dressing, diced tomatoes, avocado, red onion and cilantro. Agua con hielo. Yeah, there was a Paloma earlier.

19 Likes

Had one of my lectures on local mob/Prohibitiom history this evening. All that talk about mobsters put me in the mood for something Italian. So I came home and whipped up Chicken Parm. Fresh Mozz made all the difference.

I also made my very popular artichoke bites. Air-fried this time. Very good, but not as good as fried. Is it ever?

Gin Rickey to drink.

Last night was Chinese takeout. And a special toast to the Queen.

19 Likes

Simple Goan fish curry with cumin, coriander, chili, ginger, garlic, tomatoes, turmeric, tamarind paste, light brown sugar, cilantro and coconut milk served over rice and with carrot salad (briefly cooked to al dente and mixed with paprika, cinnamon, cumin, cayenne, lemon juice and parsley)

18 Likes

That pork chop looks fantastic!

3 Likes