What's for Dinner #85: The Falling Leaves Edition - September 2022

Thanks! In my last batch of groceries I made a point of getting a couple bags each of refrigerated ravioli and linguine. I thought the mushroom flavor might be more “fun” than standard cheese. The toppings were born out of what was available in the fridge and pantry, because I was feeling too lazy to defrost a two cup container of walnut pesto I’d previously made. Worked out!

1 Like

I agree with this - Jiffy is a great product. We use one extra egg. Also use it as waffle batter with a touch of veg oil and a bit more milk.

4 Likes

My mother adds a tablespoon of melted butter and a teaspoon of sugar to the Jiffy mix.
The egg addition sounds better and I’ll try that next time.
Thank you!!

2 Likes

Plenty of butter on top and in the middle when it comes out! i’ll try some more butter inside the batter can’t hurt!

2 Likes

Sorry in advance - no pic, not that pretty. But it was a rescue dinner! I tried the Andres gazpacho recipe that calls for pre salting and freezing first. It came out too too salty, even when I added an add’l tomato and cuke. We fought our way through one small bowl each. And then I had a lightbulb moment. I used the remainder plus a bit of water to cook rice, and the rice was bomb! I also had some gorgeous poblanos from the FM. I was planning to do @shrinkrap 's poblano casserole, but then felt bad about using 6 of those beauties in something H wouldn’t eat. So instead, I did a sort of Mex shepherd’s pie? Bottom layer was seasoned and cooked gr beef, mixed with a can of refried beans and some dregs of salsa jars in the fridge. On top was the gazpacho rice into which I stirred 6 chopped roasted poblanos. Then a good layer of mozz. In the oven for 30 at 350, then broiled the mozz at the end. I quite liked it. I think the others did too. A big dish for 3. I’m grabbing some tortillas next time I shop and we are going to roll the leftovers into burritos. They are an excellent thing to store in the freezer for school lunches!

11 Likes

I love keeping a few of these in the freezer. I’m not a big fan of fatty cuts of meat, so I reach for this tenderloin charsui recipe alot. It’s great!

4 Likes

Looks delish, yay for vacay in Amsterdam! That was the trip we cancelled when covid landed. And, wanted to report that I tried your garlic noodles last week. My family is so disappointing. They said - too garlicky. Urgh. I thought they were tasty, albeit a little greasy.

forgot to mention @Desert-Dan, a really solid move with hot cornbread that I also learned from my friends in MS is to pour buttermilk over the hot cornbread and eat it like that with a spoon. Now these are toothless old geezers but they still have tastebuds that work!

1 Like

Tonight was leftover white lasagna and a new tomato and sprout salad with tarragon ranch.

18 Likes

Dinner Tonight: Braised trout fillet, Hongshao Yu style, adapted from The Woks of Life - https://thewoksoflife.com/chinese-braised-fish-hongshao-yu-2/

21 Likes

Tacos from my local with a DELICIOUS agua de melon.

I often peruse the paleta freezer on my way out to see what interesting flavors they have. The first paleta I ever had there was cajeta and it was SO good, but the flavor has never since reappeared! Anyway I saw the “ciruela” one today and was VERY surprised to discover it was “prune.” Holy cow it was good!

18 Likes

Petite filet of beef and zucchini on the grill. More of last night’s pasta salad fixings: tomato, kalamata olives, toasted pine-nuts, and basil pesto.

For dessert: peach frozen yogurt.

Zuccs, basil, and toms from the garden.

17 Likes

I have no Dubonnet so a stiff G&T in a toast to HRH Queen Elizabeth II. London dry gin of course.

It was 90 degrees today, finally cooled down with a nice breeze so I could cook. Roasted pork tenderloin, fig chutney and thyme. French filet beans from the garden, shallot, garlic butter. Salad of mixed greens, radish, snap peas, green onions, honey mustard dressing. Wine.

19 Likes

Coronation cauliflower, beans & zucchini

And roasted chicken thighs with peach jam, curry powder & toasted almonds.

21 Likes

Tonight’s dinner is steak (rare), baked potato and oven roasted paprika cauliflower.

15 Likes

Sometimes you want a good meal with very little effort - cut up an onion and some garlic, mix with cherry tomatoes, olive oil, acetic balsamico, tyme and some fresh Italian sausage and put in the oven for 45 minutes. Add two cans of white beans and put back in the oven for 10 minutes - enjoy

21 Likes

Don’t you mean aceto balsamico tradizionale? :wink:

1 Like

Ups - it looked wrong but I guess at still 95+ F at night my brain is not working any longer

No kidding, I’m surprised you actually turned on the oven for a total of nearly an hour.

The house was anyway a sauna, so it didn’t matter if we increased the temperature a bit more for the cooking. (And at least we drove down afterwards to cooler Outer Sunset to get some ice cream at Marco Polo - first time having the durian at that place and it was quite nice)

4 Likes