What's for Dinner #84 - the National Food-A-Day Month Edition - August 2022

That looks divine. The meat looks succulent and I love the glossiness of your sauce

Sorry to hear. My version of other people dropping off food for me is occasionally ordering takeout or stocking some frozen prepared food for once-in-a-while consumption. Not quite the same, but sort of.

4 Likes

Sorry to hear that you are not well, and would appreciate an occasional meal drop-off. Do you have a network of friends, family, co-workers, neighbors, religious community? Will one of them organize a meal-train for you? There is software / websites they can use to set these up.
Why not ask? I know I have always felt happy to do this for others in the past.
ETA: Others may hesitate to offer, or not realize that you would like this, but they would be happy to offer this concrete support if it was suggested to them.

2 Likes

Thank you. My husband does most of the cooking for the two of us now and has become good at it. I’m not by myself too often to feel the need to ask for help and don’t really have much of an appetite anyway. If I lost him, I would probably go to an assisted care facility (ugh) without our 2 Australian Shepherds…

Last night’s dinner was Homemade Spinach Pasta, Baked Paprika Chicken thighs with cream of chicken soup as the sauce. My girlfriend loves homemade pasta.

11 Likes

Thanks so much!

BLTs — forgot to take a photo of the first one but made this silly thing with the leftovers. Tomatoes are great this year.

Tomatoes were pineapple heirlooms, little gems from Green Thumb, Best Foods mayonnaise, and TJ’s applewood smoked bacon on sourdough from Boudin (not usually my favorite but they give free bread and we were walking by).

29 Likes

Those tomatoes are unbelievably gorgeous - they remind me of Italian glass millefiori paperweights!!!

7 Likes

That looks great.

Have you (or really anyone) ever tried plain Greek yogurt in place of mayo in a BLT? Marvelous. Highly recommend.

“Winging” tonight’s dinner appetizer:

Creamy salad of freshly shucked BC Dungeness Crab, Devilled Eggs, Diced Doughnut Peaches, Tobiko, Sweet Corn V

eloute and Japanese Kewpie Mayonnaise. Served with EVOO Roasted Garlic Flatbread.
Not bad!..Not bad at all

16 Likes

Those tomatoes on the mayo! Swoon!
though i like my bacon a little less crispy, it looks great and makes me want to make another one soon…

1 Like

ack! i love mayo too much!

4 Likes

I wish you the best.

1 Like

Thank you. I’m in a low place right now and feeling kind of fragile. Maybe things will look up. Who can ever predict where their lives will go?

9 Likes

I hope you’re feeling stronger soon @retrospek - I’d bring you over some nice comfort food if I could.

3 Likes

Dinner tonight was salmon in red pumpkinseed sauce (sauce was a freezer find from last December), roasted zucchini, and corn tortillas.

15 Likes

That’s fair! My son especially enjoyed that :wink:

1 Like

I almost didn’t have the courage to revisit my post - embarrassed to expose my vulnerability. You’re so kind, as almost every person is on HO. My lifeline from my living room…the Internet.

13 Likes

Well do take care - I enjoy your posts, and am also thankful to feel connected via internet too, at least. Especially during the worst of lockdown and Q-T -ing. Sending you some virtual flowers and a hug. :bouquet::hugs:

6 Likes

Cioppino, made with fresh Alaskan halibut, locally caught shrimp, and garden produce (potatoes, tomatoes, onion, green beans, thyme, parsley).

Some leftover, homemade focaccia from the freezer. Fresh garden blueberry tarts for dessert.

23 Likes