What's for Dinner #84 - the National Food-A-Day Month Edition - August 2022

Couple of homemade dinners: Cheese Pupusas & Curtido from Americas Test Kitchen & Tofu with Black Bean Sauce from The Woks of Life. We enjoyed both of these, demystified pupusa making for me, still a little fiddly but worth it! :yum:

20 Likes

So for my first post here I’ll put up last night’s meal.

It’s a Mulligatawny Soup which both my fiance and I love, especially as it’s been raining here the last couple of days.

21 Likes

Do you have a particular recipe you like or has it evolved over time? Thanks!

Welcome to WFD @Cristina!

3 Likes

Welcome @Cristina! Thar soup looks delicious.

2 Likes

those pupusas look fantastic!

2 Likes

Oh yum! The Station in Bezerkeley used to have the BEST fried artichoke bits, zukes and 'rooms. It was a real treat for this poor student who would spend a portion of their 10 hour a week program aide paycheck on those goodies. Gotta make some up this week!

2 Likes

I asked and received… BF made a tomato/cannellini & burrata salad for us tonight, along with a little toasted baguette on the side for me, a little ham & mortadella sandwich on brioche for him, (cuz, meat). exactly what i wanted.

19 Likes

August is also National rum month, so a daiquiri.

Dinner was calamari sticks, tarter sauce, fully loaded cauliflower, tomato, cucumber, red onion, burrata salad. Balsamic and oo dressing, dried basil because I forgot to buy fresh. Sangria.

14 Likes

Long day today, so set aside the planned dinner in favor of a one-pan meal. Washington Post’s cheesy pasta with bacon and garden kale (Pasta Alla Gricia). For the two of us, I cut the pasta down to 6 oz. and everything else in half.

There will be fresh peaches in brandy for dessert.

18 Likes

BF doesn’t eat steak, but his mom’s sofrito came through for the marinade on this sirloin (along with Adobo, Sazon, garlic, olive oil, lime juice, and dry vermouth). Served with rice and black beans, and air-fried tostones (from Goya-- took the easy way out).

There was a martini.

18 Likes

Puerto Rican and Mexican mash up with beef chile colorado, arroz con gandules, and a salad. And wine.

18 Likes

I made basic chicken curry this evening after what seems like a long time. (Basic meaning one of our basic home versions, not basic tasting, haha.)

Caramelized onions, lots of ginger and garlic, tomatoes, whole spices and dry red chillies, that’s all. And potatoes! Potatoes soak up the goodness and make everything better.

Took dinner over to my friend’s place for him and his companions, because he had the next procedure of his series this morning and I thought homemade dinner would be nice. (The previous companion was an active cook so I used to take snacks rather than meals the past two weeks, but the current one is more of a passive presence so real food seemed more appropriate.)

A few times a year I have to transport a large enough quantity of food to make me regret that I don’t have any giant containers. But then I think about having to store them the rest of the year and I pack the food into several smaller containers and move on. Today, 3 pyrex containers for one chicken curry. 2 with chicken and 1 with potatoes so they didn’t get crushed.

We ate it with parathas, baguette (me), and plain biryani rice (which I made when I got there, because I couldn’t physically carry any more containers filled with food!)

20 Likes

A number of years ago, we had a neighborhood group that was organized to cook for people who were not well and in need of meals to see them through illnesses. I used to volunteer to do that, but as I get older now I wish someone would bring me meals lol!

9 Likes

I wonder if you could organize a group of a few friends or neighbors where you rotate dropping off a meal to each other — it just means cooking a bit extra when one is already cooking. I’d join something like that!

5 Likes

Thank you @mariacarmen, I have never made them before & was very pleased with them, yummy! I have to research the curtido a bit more, ATK version seemed more vinegary than what I remember having in the past but it was several years ago…

1 Like

I’m not well enough to do that anymore…

Potato Salad from one of Diana Henry’s books in a way how we like them most - potatoes as a part of the salad but not the only/main ingredient - here with shredded romaine salad, steamed green beans, grilled chicken breast, crispy bacon and a dressing made from buttermilk, a little bit of heavy cream, scallions and chervil

16 Likes

Leftover redux tonight.

Bok choy, cherry tomatoes and chicken thighs

17 Likes

I played around with a few different variations including Felicity Cloak’s perfect mulligatawny but this one is easier and tastier we found. It’s from Adam Law. It’s just onion cooked down with curry powder, garam masala and a tin of tomatoes added in, then you add chicken stock and rice and cook it for a long time. Then you add a Granny Smith apple, carrot and sweet potato and at the end stir in cooked chicken and garnish with yoghurt and coriander. My fiance is a big fan of anything Indian flavoured so it’s a hit in our home. Let me know if you give it a try!

And thank you @Saregama and @ottawaoperadiva ! I love seeing everyone’s meals.

6 Likes