What's for Dinner #84 - the National Food-A-Day Month Edition - August 2022

Interesting! I’d never think of using pork for tonnato. Veal is almost impossible to come by here, so I’ve made do with roast beef or turkey (neither are the same, sadly).

2 Likes

I’ve been disappointed in cantaloupe this year. I’ve discovered their more expensive cousin ‘Orange Dew’ to be more to my liking. I don’t know if it is food production or old age, things just don’t taste as wonderful as they did just a few years ago, and I have not had COVID.

2 Likes

What an epic feast!!!

1 Like

Yes, veal tonnato is more common, but our friend wanted to try it with pork,and it was delicious and very tender.

1 Like

Yes, our friend is a very good cook :blush: He has really toned it down. He used to make 10 course dinners but it was just too much of a good thing.

1 Like

I’m going to try another cantelope. I was in a hurry and not paying attention when I bought the other one, and I don’t think it was ripe enough. I’m not sure I would try an Orange Dew. I’m allergic to honeydew so the name makes me nervous!

Last night at my sister’s I made shrimp and andouille grits, using Lake Side yellow grits on a tip from a friend. andouille sausage i got from local butcher. loosely followed an Emeril recipe but pared it way down as it was just for us two. had to add waaaay more liquid than the package of the grits stated - in the form of water/heavy cream/milk. also added TJ’s Unexpected Cheddar. lotsa butter too. Grits turned out super creamy, with a wonderful flavor. And that sauce! the veggies stayed nice and crunchy. For sure the best S&G I’ve ever made, and seriously ranks up there with the best I’ve had, which i almost never say about my own food.

21 Likes

Looks awesome!

2 Likes

thanks!

Pretty interested in the concept of grilled tomato soup. Looking for a recipe now.

1 Like

The light, the candle, the umbrella, the sky :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

A quick reheat-and-eat from the freezer: Chicken Stroganoff over leftover Basmati rice with peas. Not all that appetizing to look at, I suppose. But easy-peasy.

21 Likes

That looks absolutely delicious. And that gin !!!

3 Likes

i had pork tonnato IN Italy when we lived there - lovely!

2 Likes

OMGosh! That looks so wonderful. Had not heard of Lake Side grits but have some in shopping cart now.

3 Likes

I love easy peasy . Been doing it for the past three months. To hot to cook in the mid 90’s every day . Grilling on the deck with store prepared sides . The potato and macaroni salads are good . Plus coleslaw. From the neighborhood small grocery store.

7 Likes

Leftover Arctic char & zukes from Friday plus a side of chitarra with fresh cocktail tomato sauce.

20 Likes

Halibut taco redux.

20 Likes

FIL cooked again - smoked brisket, leftover baked beans and vinegar cole slaw, and wavy potato chips. My contribution was making cucumber-tomato salad in red wine vinaigrette. A small scoop of s’mores ice cream for dessert.

20 Likes

Oh baby, you guys!

Dry brined, reverse seared NY strip, green beans with pepper and tomato paste, store bought deviled egg potato salad.

18 Likes