What's for Dinner #84 - the National Food-A-Day Month Edition - August 2022

Beautiful bite!

1 Like

Had friends over for dinner last night. Grilled Arctic char and zuke planks. Both were brushed with Greek seasonings & olive oil. Packed the char in foil bc I tend to incinerate the skin :frowning:

Zukes were dressed with a splash of lemon juice, sumac, Greek feta, chopped parsley & toasted pistachios. Fab combo I’ll use again :slight_smile:

The burrata caprese with avocado was perhaps the most gorgeous plate I made all summer, so natch I forgot to take a pic until it was almost gone. Wah.

17 Likes

Yesterday’s lunch was Thai takeout. The combination meal included red curry chicken with pineapple, stirfried chicken with ginger and mushrooms, mango salad, rice and crispy wonton. Dinner last night was a Greek salad.

12 Likes

Definitely going to make this!

1 Like

That all looks great!

Thx. My plating skills, especially with fish, could use some improvement, but it was all very tasty. The zukes in particular :slight_smile:

1 Like

Okra in sofrito sauce (from Caribbean Vegan, by Taymer Mason) with vegan Cajun sausage included. Served with some seasoned rice.

15 Likes

Kept it simple tonight. Jamon Serrano wrapped around slices of the cantaloupe I picked up at my local FM on Thursday, both just fair. The ham was purchased from World Market on a whim. Gotta stop whimsy purchases. :face_with_raised_eyebrow: And the cantaloupe had no sweet cantaloupiness.

Some garlic-herb cheese to go on some Wheat Thins, manchego topped with black fig paste, and a handful of cashews.

More of the Gerard Bertrand Cote des Roses rosé alongside.

15 Likes

Sometimes things just don’t work out as one intended.

1 Like

Maybe one could consider the serrano ham a rescue purchase rather than a whimsy purchase? Especially if the cantaloupe was missing sweet cantaloupiness…

1 Like

I sort of expected the packaged serrano ham (in airtight hard plastic packaging) to not be what I’ve had at restaurants. Hell, even Wegmans thinly sliced serrano ham is lightyears ahead of the few slices I was able to glean from the packaging, especiallyas it comes to freshness. I guess I was hoping for more from the packaging. So it was a one-and-done purchase. I had a craving that the WM version didn’t fully satisfy. But my belly is full.

Sounds like the one I bought the other day. I’m sticking with watermelon for now - those have been really good.

2 Likes

Trader Joe’s Italian import prosciutto is great!

1 Like

The lighting in our eating nook at dinnertime is terrible this time of year.

This is Bon Appetit’s Better Than Takeout noodles – a household favorite. Typically, I would serve it with sriracha, but tonight we have some homemade chili crisp.

Cabbage, carrot and scallions from the garden. The variety of cabbage is “Bobcat”. I planted it because I liked the name – it sounded like a good, aggressive cabbage.

21 Likes

Thank you! Its hard to come up with new angles!

Spanish pizza. Stonefire thin crust, bravas sauce, manchego cheese, sliced chorizo, thinly sliced fried potatoes and shallots, piquillo peppers, green olives and another light dusting of manchego and parsley. Salad was mixed greens, red onion, pickled carrots, avocado with sherry vinegar/oo dressing. G&T and I’m having a double gin rocks (pain relief) because I overexerted myself today.

17 Likes

Last night, we had a coworker over for drinks and Asian apps in the garden. Somehow managed to not get any pics. Wonder how that happened.

Today was a LONG day in what is proving to be a LONG weekend at work. I’m ready for summer to be over. Anyway, dinner was a comforting chicken cutlet (believe it or not, it has been almost a month), baked potato with TPSTOB, and some sautéed broccoli with garlic.

To drink was a Jameson Old Fashioned. Jamo pairs very well with orange, and I also used orange bitters instead of Angostura. Guess that’s why they came out with an orange flavored whiskey last year.

19 Likes

Our friend invited us over for an excellent homemade dinner including soft shell crab 2 ways (air fried and meuniere); pork tonnato; tacos; grilled tomato soup (not pictured); blueberry goat cheese stuffed figs; ham omelet bites; spicy sausage; an awesome homemade zucchini cake with blueberries; and some excellent wines.

18 Likes

Definitely

1 Like

Beef burger with bacon and grilled portobello mushroom

13 Likes