What's for Dinner #84 - the National Food-A-Day Month Edition - August 2022

Mr Bean and The Sprout went fishing yesterday and came back with two18+inch fluke. We were in the mood for something on the light side and decided on fish tacos. Served with a pineapple salsa and a Mexicanish slaw. From ocean to plate in less 6 hours.

22 Likes

Lucky, lucky Bean family!!

7 Likes

Very, very lucky though Mr bean would say that some talent is involved in the catching.

2 Likes

I’ll bet he would!!

1 Like

We made seared NY strip (split) with chimichurri, CSA Asian eggplant, peppers, onions, and garlic sauteed in rendered beef fat, CSA kale salad with apple and walnut vinaigrette, and black beans and rice. Pinot Gris from Franc Dusak. Hit the spot.

17 Likes

Crustless vegetable tart with saffron aioli (from At Home In The Kitchen, by David Kinch), roasted trout, and pasta salad with mushrooms because BF wanted pasta with dinner.

20 Likes

Dumpling burgers (ground pork seasoned with ginger, garlic, scallions, soy, chili garlic paste, rice vinegar and a pinch of sweetener) with Sriracha mayo and a cilantro-bell pepper-radish salad in peanut vinaigrette. Cilantro was assertive tonight - I wonder if it had bolted and was harvested anyway. Still, tasty enough!

19 Likes

Leek and fish chowder with halibut and salmon. I don’t think green beans are traditional here, but we’re swimming in them, so here 'ya go.

Freshly-made sourdough focaccia on the side.

Potatoes, leeks, green beans, bay and parsley from the garden.

17 Likes

That is awesome! And I think green beans are under respected. So good fried, nice stewed with tomatoes and surprisingly good in eggs (if you fry the beans first!)

3 Likes

Casarecce with vegetables (asparagus, leek and peas). The pasta was cooked risotto-style which always gives the dish a nice creamy consistency without actually adding any cream or butter. Finished the dish with chives, mint and lemon zest.

15 Likes

Hi Kids - back from the long bday weekend. sorry, this will be a long one!

I took Friday off and went to Stinson Beach for our annual getaway - 20 of us, spread out over the weekend - Epic! with lots of cocktails, bubbly, vino, and TPST of food. I made a caponata with the usual plus roasted lemon and burrata, a couscous salad with a turmeric/smoked paprika/honey/lemon dressing topped with merguez sausages, a shit-ton of cheeses (photographed still wrapped so we could remember which we liked), fabulous focaccia from a local restaurant, that i sandwiched with an anchovy/cherry tom/caper/evoo spread (to die for), my usual cambozola cream crack dip, and makings for a pitcher of Paper Planes. My first ever gravlax turned out fabulous - cured with beets (for that swoony color), bourbon, salt & sugar, coriander, and dill. I also made a tomato/fresh mozz/cuke/chili crisp salad - people wolfed that down. I brought fancy French butter, Russian chocolate butter, breads, mortadella, and the BF’s homemade mascarpone. Friends brought grilled filipino pork tapa (skewers), hangar steak, homemade peach pie, homemade flourless chocolate cake, more cheese, and original cocktail makings. We went to the Marshall Store on Saturday for raw, bbq, bacon, florentine, and smoked oysters, sandwiches (including the seriously best shrimp po boy I’ve ever had), a smoked salmon platter, and plenty of French pink bubbles. Saturday morning bfast was pie and pan con tomate, Sunday everyone took care of their own from leftovers, and I made myself a merguez scramble with smoked paprika and pan con tomate. We did crossword puzzles together, Wordled together, spent a little time on the beach, took a short evening hike, danced, and laughed all weekend long.

got home Sunday early afternoon and the BF made us tacos with some of the leftover hangar steak. A light dinner, comparatively speaking.

i think I’ve finally recovered…

tonight’s dinner - BF yet again - Rana mushroom ravioli in a butter/garlic sauce with bacon and parm, tomato salad, and garlic focaccia. Tasty, all of it.

And the food festivities aren’t over yet - we’re celebrating the BF’s bday (which was Friday - yes, i left him alone all weekend!) with dinner out at Foreign Cinema tomorrow night.

sorry, pics are sort of all over the place because i’m just too lazy to put them in the right order!

Stinson roasted lemons

Stinson bubbles

Stinson cocktail

yesterday’s tacos:

tonight’s pasta.

i have a lot of catching up with all your food to do now!

28 Likes

And oh yeah, more gazpacho. Addicting. It was even better after an overnight rest.

2 Likes

What a collection of photos!

6 Likes

Chicken Quesadillas (with red onion and jalapeño) and an unnecessary side of rice.

Tomorrow is a day off. Enjoyed a whiskey sour up out in the garden.

21 Likes

So very sorry about your friend! Your words are ones I try to live by… hugs and condolences on your loss.

2 Likes

Fresh fettuccine sauced with pesto from the freezer, salad of broccolini and tomato, and a piece of Roquefort for dessert. And wine.

23 Likes

Happy happy!

1 Like

Holy Cannoli what an absolutely wonderful birthday celebration! Gastronomique magnifique! Thank you for sharing all of those inspirational photos.

2 Likes

thank you!

thanks!