What's for Dinner #84 - the National Food-A-Day Month Edition - August 2022

AH-MAYYYYYYYYY-ZING!!!

2 Likes

Happy birthday, belatedly, @mariacarmen! Thanks for sharing your glorious celebration here. Here’s to many more.

3 Likes

I have become a big fan of stashing smoked fish in the freezer, something I never considered until about a year ago. It defrosts in maybe an hour on the counter and gives me a dinner in minutes that feels like a decent meal.

Tonight’s version: small salad of radishes and the last palmito, sliced, with the last of a batch of lemon caper vinaigrette, and crackers with cream cheese, arugula and smoked steelhead trout. Second dinner in a row that involved the trout and there’s just enough to go into scrambled eggs tomorrow.

17 Likes

Grilled pork tenderloin, red pepper, onion, teriyaki sauce kabobs. Turmeric and parsley rice. Radicchio, fennel, orange slaw, with pistachios and rice vinegar, orange marmalade, oo dressing.

19 Likes

Lamb and scallion ragu over cavatappi. Yogurt and dill sauce. Roasted green beans.

17 Likes

It was just mom and I tonight, and I arrived at the supermarket expecting to shop for Chicken Piccata. But then I figured we’ve had so much chicken lately, and since BF doesn’t like steak, this would be the time to try something off the wall that I thought we would both enjoy. And thus Steak Marsala from The Spruce Eats was born. I served it over polenta. I used a one pound sirloin and the sauce was truly heavenly. The recipe called for dredging the steak in flour, and I’m still undecided on whether or not I would do this next time around, but other than that, this was as good a meal as I have cooked in recent memory.

24 Likes

that looks fantastic!

great idea for wonderful quick and deliciously satisfying meals!

1 Like

Chorizo tacos with panela cheese, and a side of pinto beans.

19 Likes

Black Bean Stew with bacon, kielbasa, chili, mashed black beans (to give some body to the stew), garlic and rice. Separately sautéed some collard greens and tomatoes which were added at the end. Served with a salad made from baby spinach, sliced raw mushrooms, almonds, scallions, orange supremes and cucumber with a dressing from oil, rice vinegar, honey, minced ginger, mustard and a few drops of toasted sesame oil

15 Likes

That’s good to know about the frozen smoked fish! I just pulled the trigger on a Goldbelly order from Sable’s, and I’m not sure I can polish off 1.5 lbs of smoked fish all that fast…

1 Like

I have been freezing in their original cryovac packages but I imagine you could wrap it yourself as long as it was fairly airtight. Yum!!! Goldbelly order…

1 Like

I’ve had the gift card since my birthday last year September. I was so overwhelmed with all the options I defaulted on smoked fish. Not the worst thing :wink:

1 Like

Visiting family in the Midwest. Last night we grilled ribeye steaks and served 'em up with garden tomatoes, cucumber salad, and COTC. No pics. Nonna’s chocolate chip cookies for dessert.

7 Likes

Dinner tonight is Red Chile Pinto Bean Stew, rice, cheese, sour cream, etc…

Thing I learned today: treat all your bean stews like baked beans or cassoulet and cook them uncovered for part of the time in the oven, slowly, until a crust forms on top. I let this happen (2x at 275F and 1x at 170F while everything else was finishing up) and really enjoyed the results!

22 Likes

Gorgeous plate of food!

1 Like

New furnace and thermostat: installed.

Boyz: settled after hiding from the big bad noises coming from downstairs all day.

Dinner: easy-peasy.

Pork tenderloin seasoned with olive oil, s/p, Penzeys roasted garlic powder, and dried cracked rosemary. Baked in the oven at 350° for about 40 min until it registered 140ish° on the Thermapen. Added some plum ketchup on top the last 15 minutes. Let it sit for 5 minutes before slicing.

Served on Basmati rice with asparagus alongside.

Oh yeah, there was wine. The 5-day weekend deserves recognition.

21 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

Your dinner looks lovely as always. Enjoy your loooooong weekend!

3 Likes

We had Jaegerschnitzel made with pounded pork cutlets. Tiny creamer potatoes cut in half and boiled with haricots verts tossed in butter, salt and pepper. We were inspired by pounding we heard sitting at the bar at one of our favorite restaurants we went to for lunch today. At first we thought it was coming from the kitchen and looked at each other and said it sounded like they were making schnitzel - on Cape Cod! (But there was some construction going on in the top floor of the place). My DH frequently traveled to Germany for work and one of our favorite meals was Jaegerschnitzel - we ordered it at a small hotel restaurant and as it was being prepared, we could hear the cook pounding the meat in the kitchen. So we made it tonight in remembrance. No photo - he left his cellphone in the truck.

16 Likes