What's for Dinner #84 - the National Food-A-Day Month Edition - August 2022

Chicken teriyaki. Sichuan green beans. Steamed rice.

To make the teriyaki, I pan roasted some chicken thighs (skin-on but bones removed), and drizzled with a teriyaki sauce from Cook’s Illustrated. The Sichuan green bean recipe also is from Cook’s – I’ve made it a dozen times at least, and recommend it for dealing with a surplus of summer long beans.

Teriyaki sauce recipe paraphrased here.

Sichuan green bean recipe paraphrased here.

20 Likes

Looks wonderful! Welcome to HO and the WFD threads.

2 Likes

I never in a million years would have thought to put that many pats of butter on a raw meatloaf to bake. Or any butter for that matter. But if you say it’s really that good, then there must be something to it.:slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

I admit I nearly died. But I kept my mouth shut.

Butter in the meatloaf.
Butter in the mashed potatoes.
Butter in the peas.

Dessert should have been a Lipitor.

10 Likes

Peas with mashed potatoes and gravy is one of those ultimate comforting simple pleasures in life.

3 Likes

I’m not big on Salisbury steaks either. Is it a mini meatloaf or a bun-less burger with an identity crisis?

Either way, all I think of is a TV/frozen dinner.

1 Like

Niku udon, pickles, salad, and tonkatsu with cabbage.

20 Likes

Fettuccine with shrimps, napa cabbage, red pepper, scallions, cashews with a sauce made from a bit of broth, soy sauce, hot sauce and white pepper.

11 Likes

I have the same lack of willpower at the farm stand. Resistance is futile.

7 Likes

Pan-fried flounder, diner-style. Broiled eggplant with corn and basil.

IMG_3682

18 Likes

I might just try that, @GretchenS. Just won’t mix egg and chili together again.

1 Like

Had a lovely dinner last night. Thanks to GretchenS tried her slow roasted salmon idea and slow roasted a cod loin in the air fryer last night along with air fryer slow roasted asparagus, and Instant Pot sweet potato. So good. @GretchenS, thanks a million for the slow roasting instructions. the cod and the asparagus was just perfect.

13 Likes

Had a craving for chicken enchiladas. So I picked up an MB pre-roasted chicken to shred half of it. (The rest will be used for sandwiches or something.) Mixed it with sauteed chopped onions and red bell peppers, 2/3 of a can of drained black beans, some frozen fresh corn, and some rice I quickly made.

Had some homemade chunky enchilada sauce in the freezer, but it wasn’t enough, so ended up make more of a smooth sauce, too. (Most of that will go into the freezer for later use.)

Six flour/corn tortillas were spread with some chunky sauce, layered with the chicken/veg mixture, topped with shredded Monterey Jack cheese, rolled up and tucked into two small baking dishes, topped with some of the smooth sauce the rest of the cheese, and baked at 350° for 20 minutes or so.

Toppings were sour cream, the last of some green onions, and minced parsley as a stand-in for the dreaded icky cilantro.

Wine.

20220813_183214

19 Likes

Another killer late-summer meal:

Gazpacho from the garden
Homemade ham and cheese quiche (crust was Erin Jeanne McDowell’s all-buttah pie crust)
Local broccoli (why can’t all broccoli all year taste like this?!)

and for dessert, outstanding cantelope and honeydew from our CSA.

IMG_0272

18 Likes

Big ole’ ribeye with garlic scape pesto and a romaine, radish and snap pea salad (my serving also got a hefty dose of Parmesan cheese and few cherry toms from my overproducing Sweet Aperitif plants). The ribeye was mostly deckle, a two pounder that I slow roasted at 200 for about an hour before quickly searing the exterior. Nailed it.

20 Likes

Freezer clean-out.

Leftover chili and black beans. Some frozen corn tortillas fried as chips.

14 Likes

dinner

Shrimp salad with a lot of stuff in it, braised artichokes and mushrooms.

13 Likes

We enjoyed another excellent dinner at Cafe Panache in Ramsey, NJ, including fork tender short ribs; panko crusted halibut with wasabi sauce and forbidden rice; filet mignon ravioli; octopus with eggplant caponata; and the freshest coconut cake for dessert. It all went great with an excellent cabernet and Malbec. Including a gratuitous picture of our new baby Matisse.

16 Likes

Tonight’s dinner was a basa fillet curry.

12 Likes

Today was a long day at work. The kind of long that was nervous breakdown inducing. But I survived. Dinner was my Arroz con Pollo loaded with lots of good stuff (gandules, olives, bacon, BF’s mom’s Sofrito). Simple one-pot comfort food.

There was vodka.

21 Likes