What's for Dinner #84 - the National Food-A-Day Month Edition - August 2022

So sorry for your loss. Heartbreaking.

1 Like

Woohoo! Tis the season!

I check at 20 minutes and it’s usually too rare for me, needs another 3 or 4. At that low temp you have a lot of leeway I find.

ETA: leftovers were amazing for lunch today on salad with leftover roasting juices mixed with an equal amount of lemon vinaigrette.

1 Like

Thank you!

1 Like

@retrospek So sorry for your loss of a friend. So hard to believe!

1 Like

So very sorry for your loss @retrospek.

Life of late has just been one long reminder of your advice.

:heart:

7 Likes

Thursday night I experimented by adding a small bit of leftover chili to some scrambled eggs and a petite sirloin steak. While the scrambled egg/chili mix was okay, I won’t be doing that again. Could eat all of it, so decided to make a sandwich of it last night. Toasted a Brioche bun and spread mayo on it, add the reheated scrambled egg mix, thinly sliced petite sirloin steak, and some thin sliced Iceberg lettuce. Also reheated some leftover shredded potatoes and added some Kalamata olives and horeradish sauce on the side.

12 Likes

You may be over the chili + eggs idea forever but I love me a good chili cheese omelette. Eggs (with or without chopped onions or scallions), cheese of choice and then a stripe of chili (already warmed) down the middle, fold as usual. Mmmm.

3 Likes

Greater Boston Onions - road trip to Truro/P’Town! :kissing_heart:

5 Likes

One pan roasted fish from NYT, made with halibut. This is such an easy recipe with big payoff - it’s delicious and looks nice. The tomatoes get so jammy in the best way. I amp up the garlic and would typically add some chile pepper but I had hopes that Spring Onion might have some; instead he stuck with salmon and rice.

Fridge clean out starts today as we leave on Sunday for a just over 2-week trip to Denmark. Sautéed pea shoots with TPSTO garlic, rice, Korean cukes as sides. I still have baby bok choy, green beans, some tomatoes. There is a moratorium on my trips to the farm stand - I can’t help myself, even knowing that we’ll be away. I guess some folks have the same problem with shoes or clothing. Mine is with farm-fresh produce.

Plated sideways, bien sur.

18 Likes

Tagliatelle with leftover roasted cherry tomatoes from the other night and their lovely juices, anchovies, peppery FM arugula, feta and an astonishingly restrained amount of butter. Should have added more arugula, but an extremely tasty Friday night I-have-nothing-left-to-give dinner.

ETA: plus a G&T with rarer than hen’s teeth here in mid-coast Maine Fever Tree tonic.

ETA2: gratuitous sunset picture because we don’t get many like this.

20 Likes

Take-out lunch today was a disappointing Korean fried chicken so I had a corn tomato avocado salad for dinner tonight as a palate cleanser.

12 Likes

A week.
Some frustration.
Glad it’s Friday.

Had a craving for this earlier this week when I saw it on my FB Memories. I adapted slightly from the first time I made it, as I’m wont to do based on what I have in the house.

Chicken-Tomato–Feta Spaghetti

Butter-sauteed Backyard Farm chopped cocktail tomatoes, white wine splooshed in with some dried thyme, added a chopped chickie boobie with some half-and-half. Some Greek yogurt added in to try and sauce it up.

Added some cooked spaghetti with a nice handful of freshly ground pepper and crumbled feta cheese for more sauciness and some more saltiness. Crumbled feta added on top after plating along with basil chiffonade.

It worked.

And definitely wine.

17 Likes

Oooh, freshly ground pepper or Aleppo pepper would have been great on my very similar pasta. Must remember!

2 Likes

I probably put in a 2 teaspoons of freshly cracked mixed pepper as I decided I wanted a heavy peppery-feta flavor. (I made enough for 3 meals.) Aleppo would have also work with its slight lemony bite.

2 Likes

I just got lots of beans in this week’s CSA box. I’m bookmarking this recipe too. It looks really good. Thanks for posting.

4 Likes

I’m sorry to hear of your friend’s passing. May his memory be a blessing.

1 Like

IMG_1864
Wild caught flounder with homemade tarter sauce and shredded broccoli salad. Dressing of mayonaise, greek yogurt, champagne vinegar.

25 Likes

Welcome to WFD! Looks absolutely delicious!!

4 Likes

@susiqq That meal is right up our household’s alley.

Welcome to Hungry Onion!

3 Likes