What's for Dinner #84 - the National Food-A-Day Month Edition - August 2022

Come to Asheville, they put that stuff on everything. Me, I’m happy with plain Duke’s.

2 Likes

The Outer Banks of NC was where I first encountered Duke’s. :grinning: I still don’t know why it’s not available more widely in Massachusetts. Maybe our supermarkets are under the thumb of Big Mayo or something.

2 Likes

Last night, BF made a ridiculously delicious pasta dish for how simple it was. Bucatini, pork belly, cherry tomatoes, garlic, and parm regg. Sides were broiled red pepper and anchovy, fresh mozz, and sauteed zucchini. He’s calling it the pasta “Bucabelli” :laughing:

And I’ve got a project going for the weekend…

Gravlax! My first time…

I used a couple of different recipes, one including a beet for staining, and I’m a little worried i used too much salt as I didn’t use the same amount of salmon and may not have adjusted properly. fingers crossed - we’ll find out Friday morning…

18 Likes

Hellman’s is king around here, with Cain’s having made a bit of an inroad a few years back. Although that’s hard to find now as well - they were acquired back in 2013 by TreeHouse Foods, and the Ayer, MA plant stopped production back several years later. After going to TreeHouse’s website, I’m no longer seeing “Mayo” as one of the items they manufacture (at least not specifically, unless they consider it as a form of “dressing”). I just sent an Email to TreeHouse asking if they still made it and if there was distribution issue, as I’ve looked for it and can’t find it either - and I’m curious. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I never heard of Duke’s until I came across it’s mention on HO a while ago. I’ve never seen it in a store in NJ so I order it from Target. The Sprout and I are big mayo fans. I think I 4-5 different kinds in the fridge.

4 Likes

Ignorant of what TPSTOB means. Please educate me.

2 Likes

TPSTOB = the proverbial shit-ton of butter. Used here a lot. :grin: Lots of butter lovers.

6 Likes

This was Monday. Didn’t cook last night because of a migraine. Anyway, Monday was a Caribbean-inspired pasta dish with roast eggplant, tomatoes, and onion, seasoned with thyme, cilantro, and Scotch bonnet peppers. Topped with some tofu feta and more cilantro.

15 Likes

that’s almost exactly like my recipe - love it.

Nominations are starting for the September, 2022 Cookbook of the Month. Please consider joining us is choosing and cooking from a new book.

2 Likes

Thank you. LOL I had no idea.

4 Likes

See also: “butter lake”. :wink:

5 Likes

It’s a flexible accronym. Some people love to add TPSTOBacon. Or TPSTOSC (sour cream).

4 Likes

very true!

that is a beautiful plate of food…

2 Likes

@mariacarmen coined it after I kept writing it out all the time.

My phone now understands and autofills when I start typing TP… :grin:

10 Likes

:rofl:

4 Likes

Tonight I made BYO (non-traditional) bibimbap bowls. Toppings were teriyaki-glazed tofu, kimchi, seaweed salad, CSA cucumbers, pickled radish/carrot/red onion, sesame slaw, foraged oyster mushrooms, garlicky CSA zucchini, tomatoes in black vinegar, and a mayo-based savory-sweet drizzle.

ETA: my kiddo enjoyed the build-your-own aspect and actually said, “tomatoes and cucumbers: those are my favorite!” while serving himself. He was resistant to the tofu but when I forced a few pieces on his plate he remembered how much he loves it and asked for more.

20 Likes

Tonight’s dinner was pork lo mein. This is probably one of my favourite dishes.

19 Likes

Thank you @chiel for your take on garlic noodles. I had these noodles at one of the iconic SF places (name is escaping me). I think it’s deceptively simple and difficult to nail. I’ll keep trying.

1 Like