What's for Dinner #84 - the National Food-A-Day Month Edition - August 2022

Roasted Nicoise salad with halibut – a sheet-pan recipe from Bon Appetit. I’ve made this one before. I’m not typically a fan of sheet-pan dinners, but this one works. Easy, seasonal and very good.

Green beans and potatoes from the garden.

18 Likes

Had a quiet day at home to myself after a long time.

Cleaned out the fridge, baked chocolate cake, and used up the plantains I bought – almost a month ago!

Wanted to make something new-to-me instead of the tostones I usually do, so I went with Mofongo, formed into cakes and pan-fried them to get a little more texture. Let’s call them Mofonguitos?

Haven’t made fish in a while either, so salmon with a mojo-ish garlic butter sauce with the mofongo cakes.

Garlicky pea leaves to round it out.

Oh yeah, and the chocolate cake for dessert!

Ok, WHY haven’t I made Mofongo before? DYNAMITE!

21 Likes

Yowza. Sounds like that ferment went WAY wrong.

1 Like

Thst cake! ~swoon~

1 Like

We enjoyed another outstanding dinner at James on Main in Hackettstown, NJ including a melt in your mouth, perfectly cooked coffee crusted elk, pan roasted halibut, mushroom panzanella salad with pea pesto, duck confit, hand cut fries, and an excellent strawberry semifreddo with basil. It all went great with an excellent cabernet and red blend.

14 Likes

Nicoise-ish salad with bass belly instead of tuna. Grew the beans and the tomatoes and the cuke and some of the lettuce. Decided to try someone else’s method for hard-boiling eggs, although mine works good. I will now be returning to my method.

salad

15 Likes

Last night’s dinner was Coconut Lime Chicken breast over rice with onions & broccoli. I modified a Chef Michael Smith (Canada) recipe. I flavored the rice with curry powder, cumin and turmeric.

14 Likes

Fresh Chinese yam leaves from the garden, topped with a soy sauce, vinegar, diced garlic sauce.

17 Likes

(post deleted by author)

What do yam leaves taste like? (I love snow pea leaves and spinach - curious if they are similar or different)

A bit like spinach in texture, but sweeter. Not fibrous like snow pea leaves.

4 Likes

Thanks. Will have to try.

Just be warned my friend, yam leaves (at the market) are sort of pricey.

But they are easy to grow at home (they’re essentially an invasive species and grow like weeds fed a diet of cat shit), but gosh darn it, these things are as thirsty as fuck.

What you save in money in not buying at the market, you easily spend on you water bill.

Enjoy. :slight_smile:

Quiet day. Went with something easy to try and use up a favorite pantry item: Tangerine Marmalade from Aloha from Oregon, always purchased at Home Goods. My purchase yesterday compared to what was in my pie safe noted that the size of the jar has decreased by 3.2 oz, but the price has increased by $1.00. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Roasted Frankenchicken breast, eventually basted with a mix of the tangerine marmalade, white wine, freshly grated ginger (and some of the dry sherry it’s stored in), Dijon mustard, and s/p.

Leftover Basmati rice and steamed green beans with toasted almonds alongside. There was wine.

And black mission figs picked up at Trader Joe’s yesterday turned into one of my favorite desserts: quartered figs with goat cheese, drizzled with a mix of black pepper and honey, and sprinkled with chopped pistachios.

22 Likes

Pasta pomodoro with FM tomatoes & lil gem salad with Dijon vinaigrette.

18 Likes

Today was a Meera Sodha bake from the Guardian - spiced tomatoes, chickpeas and eggplant.

After I doctored it with some harissa, baharat and allspice and gave it extra baking time it was very tasty. Accompanied with creamy feta dressed with olive oil and fresh mint, as well as a chopped salad of tomatoes, cukes, onion and parsley.

here
19 Likes

I spent the day hauling off Brown Turkey fig tree branches so I needed an easy dinner. Three bowls it was. Bowl one, chicken, pinto bean, hatch chile chili from the freezer, with queso fresco and green onion. Bowl two, cotc, butter, sazon and cilantro. Bowl three mixed greens, tomatoes from the garden, red onion,. avocado, ranch dressing. Bonus bowl, Desert King figs, yogurt, date syrup.There were several orange palomas. As I’m sitting here typing I’m having a glass of Lambrusco. I see it is National red wine day.

22 Likes

No time for a proper meal tonight. Ate half a box of cinnamon rolls while on the road.

18 Likes

Perfect Cherokee Purple BLT’s
Local corn on the cob
Homemade peach frozen yogurt

I start a new job tomorrow and just enjoyed 3+ weeks off, so this very much felt like the last day of summer for me. Bittersweet.

21 Likes

We enjoyed another sensational dinner at The Circle restaurant in Fredon, NJ, including gnocchi with crispy charred corn, corn chipotle puree, smoked cotija cheese and sambal; outstanding foie gras pb&j with black sesame butter, nectarine jelly, cointreau, on a toasted brioche; hanger steak with caraflex cabbage, crispy confit potato, Thai basil and cherry mustard; halibut with smoked miso broth, chanterelle, pickled ginger, and guajillo chili; burrata with spring pea. For dessert we enjoyed a flourless chocolate cake with hazelnut ice cream. It all went great with an excellent Syrah and cabernet.

11 Likes