What's for Dinner #84 - the National Food-A-Day Month Edition - August 2022

It’s a difficult place to live. I could easily shut the door and say “good-bye” but my husband is in love with it. Over 2 hours to an airport, limited access to a lot of things I enjoy but we’ve had our place out here since 1991 and lived here since 1999 except for a 2 year stint in the Netherlands. People come out here to unwind, but a lot of us actually start to unravel. I am bored out of my mind on this peninsula.

5 Likes

Thai/Sichuan mashup dinner tonight: pan-fried coconut/green curry shrimp with SE’s Thai dipping sauce, stir-fried broccoli with oyster sauce, a STOG & Sichuan hot sauce. Hit tha spicy spot :yum:

17 Likes

Pad kra pao gai — Thai basil chicken

Holy basil is in season and pad kra pao is still one of my favorites. Didn’t realize I didn’t have fresh chilis so used some that I have always marinating in fish sauce, they worked (would still prefer the fresh). Over jasmine rice of course.

20 Likes

BLTs here again - gotta act while the tomatoes are still good - tho they start coming out later here in SF, seems like, and go sometimes through early Oct. Big fat yellow heirloom, Nueske’s bacon (first time trying - the smokiness! swoon!) - and butter lettuce. Rye toast for me, (small slices) and toasted brioche for the BF. COTC for me, his potato salad for him (i had a few bites too). Summer summer summer!

23 Likes

one of new faves too - even though i’ve not been able to find holy basil here…

i freeze my thai bird chilis so i always some handy - works great.

gorgeous plate of food!

3 Likes

Mesquite grilled hot wings on the Big Green Egg. Garden veg. Homemade ranch and wing sauce. French fries.

The fries are McCain’s – we’ve had an open bag of those loitering in the freezer since the Surprise Frozen Fries thread.

16 Likes

Austerity week, day one. Snap pea soup, string bean salad, okra. And I grew most of this myself! Also, that’s my entire okra crop, thus far. I don’t think I’ll be having people over for gumbo anytime soon.

IMG_3799

17 Likes

Chile relleno, chorizo rice, avocado, radish salad.
I ended up baking the relleno in a mini loaf pan as I couldn’t get it sealed good enough to manhandle in the flour and egg. Tasted the same.

17 Likes

Sounds like a summer on the Jersey Shore but without the isolation. Traffic is unbearable, our beaches inundated and trashed by tourists. I work at a place by the first major beach on the shore and weekends are horror show worthy. Rude and disgusting, people are.

Beach-side bars are taken over. Reckless and drunk driving, fights, tempers flaring as people drink all day while roasting in the sun and then face an hours long drive home. Covid pushed this already mentally ill country over the edge.

I love it and I hate it here.

8 Likes

I spent a lot of time on the Jersey Shore out of grad school in the late 70’s - had a serious relationship almost-got-married to a guy from Philly who’s parents had a summer home there. Wasn’t as crazy as you describe it. Our planet is too full of people. I don’t drive on the Cape in July and August - I’m retired and don’t have to go anywhere but I’m really craving a peach pie from Nauset Farms in Orleans. Ha Ha.

2 Likes

Another chile relleno casserole.

20 Likes

Artichoke Bites with lemon pepper aioli. Very easy: just use canned quartered artichoke hearts (the brine they are in adds flavor), bread them, and lightly pan fry in olive oil. Done. The aioli is mayo, extra virgin olive oil, lemon juice and zest, salt, and lots of freshly ground pepper. Quick and easy appetizer, great on a summer night.

Meal was one of my epic sandwiches with grilled chicken, fresh Mozzarella, thickly sliced tomato, roasted red peppers, hot cherry peppers, and balsamic glaze. Here’s a pic before the accouterments were added (the mozz is under the chicken):

There was a martini.

24 Likes

Pasta with Italian sausage, Swiss chard (stem and leaves sautéed at different times), garlic, lemon zest, chicken broth, red pepper flakes, parmesan, walnuts

15 Likes

An omelette filled with leftover creamed spinach, with tomatoes and a Trader Joe’s hash brown patty.

23 Likes

Thanks.

Where is “here” for you? Looks like SF area from your posts, if so, a couple people have it at the Civic Center FM right now — Ken (don’t know if his farm has a name) and then one on the Market side like 4 spots up from the south end.

Holy basil really makes the dish so you have to get it!

2 Likes

I have to try those artichokes!

2 Likes

yes, i’m in SF! and i work not that far from the CC FM! i’ll have to check them out next time it’s there. Thanks for the tip!

1 Like

ugh - i just looked it up - it’s only there on Wednesdays and I work from my sister’s house in the East Bay on Wednesdays! wah…

oh wait - i looked again - Sundays too! yay!

1 Like

those artichokes!

2 Likes

Couple of homemade dinners: Cheese Pupusas & Curtido from Americas Test Kitchen & Tofu with Black Bean Sauce from The Woks of Life. We enjoyed both of these, demystified pupusa making for me, still a little fiddly but worth it! :yum:

20 Likes