What's for Dinner #84 - the National Food-A-Day Month Edition - August 2022

Trader Joe’s Italian import prosciutto is great!

1 Like

The lighting in our eating nook at dinnertime is terrible this time of year.

This is Bon Appetit’s Better Than Takeout noodles – a household favorite. Typically, I would serve it with sriracha, but tonight we have some homemade chili crisp.

Cabbage, carrot and scallions from the garden. The variety of cabbage is “Bobcat”. I planted it because I liked the name – it sounded like a good, aggressive cabbage.

21 Likes

Thank you! Its hard to come up with new angles!

Spanish pizza. Stonefire thin crust, bravas sauce, manchego cheese, sliced chorizo, thinly sliced fried potatoes and shallots, piquillo peppers, green olives and another light dusting of manchego and parsley. Salad was mixed greens, red onion, pickled carrots, avocado with sherry vinegar/oo dressing. G&T and I’m having a double gin rocks (pain relief) because I overexerted myself today.

17 Likes

Last night, we had a coworker over for drinks and Asian apps in the garden. Somehow managed to not get any pics. Wonder how that happened.

Today was a LONG day in what is proving to be a LONG weekend at work. I’m ready for summer to be over. Anyway, dinner was a comforting chicken cutlet (believe it or not, it has been almost a month), baked potato with TPSTOB, and some sautéed broccoli with garlic.

To drink was a Jameson Old Fashioned. Jamo pairs very well with orange, and I also used orange bitters instead of Angostura. Guess that’s why they came out with an orange flavored whiskey last year.

19 Likes

Our friend invited us over for an excellent homemade dinner including soft shell crab 2 ways (air fried and meuniere); pork tonnato; tacos; grilled tomato soup (not pictured); blueberry goat cheese stuffed figs; ham omelet bites; spicy sausage; an awesome homemade zucchini cake with blueberries; and some excellent wines.

18 Likes

Definitely

1 Like

Beef burger with bacon and grilled portobello mushroom

13 Likes

Interesting! I’d never think of using pork for tonnato. Veal is almost impossible to come by here, so I’ve made do with roast beef or turkey (neither are the same, sadly).

2 Likes

I’ve been disappointed in cantaloupe this year. I’ve discovered their more expensive cousin ‘Orange Dew’ to be more to my liking. I don’t know if it is food production or old age, things just don’t taste as wonderful as they did just a few years ago, and I have not had COVID.

2 Likes

What an epic feast!!!

1 Like

Yes, veal tonnato is more common, but our friend wanted to try it with pork,and it was delicious and very tender.

1 Like

Yes, our friend is a very good cook :blush: He has really toned it down. He used to make 10 course dinners but it was just too much of a good thing.

1 Like

I’m going to try another cantelope. I was in a hurry and not paying attention when I bought the other one, and I don’t think it was ripe enough. I’m not sure I would try an Orange Dew. I’m allergic to honeydew so the name makes me nervous!

Last night at my sister’s I made shrimp and andouille grits, using Lake Side yellow grits on a tip from a friend. andouille sausage i got from local butcher. loosely followed an Emeril recipe but pared it way down as it was just for us two. had to add waaaay more liquid than the package of the grits stated - in the form of water/heavy cream/milk. also added TJ’s Unexpected Cheddar. lotsa butter too. Grits turned out super creamy, with a wonderful flavor. And that sauce! the veggies stayed nice and crunchy. For sure the best S&G I’ve ever made, and seriously ranks up there with the best I’ve had, which i almost never say about my own food.

21 Likes

Looks awesome!

2 Likes

thanks!

Pretty interested in the concept of grilled tomato soup. Looking for a recipe now.

1 Like

The light, the candle, the umbrella, the sky :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

A quick reheat-and-eat from the freezer: Chicken Stroganoff over leftover Basmati rice with peas. Not all that appetizing to look at, I suppose. But easy-peasy.

21 Likes