What's for Dinner #84 - the National Food-A-Day Month Edition - August 2022

I never heard of Duke’s until I came across it’s mention on HO a while ago. I’ve never seen it in a store in NJ so I order it from Target. The Sprout and I are big mayo fans. I think I 4-5 different kinds in the fridge.

4 Likes

Ignorant of what TPSTOB means. Please educate me.

2 Likes

TPSTOB = the proverbial shit-ton of butter. Used here a lot. :grin: Lots of butter lovers.

6 Likes

This was Monday. Didn’t cook last night because of a migraine. Anyway, Monday was a Caribbean-inspired pasta dish with roast eggplant, tomatoes, and onion, seasoned with thyme, cilantro, and Scotch bonnet peppers. Topped with some tofu feta and more cilantro.

15 Likes

that’s almost exactly like my recipe - love it.

Nominations are starting for the September, 2022 Cookbook of the Month. Please consider joining us is choosing and cooking from a new book.

2 Likes

Thank you. LOL I had no idea.

4 Likes

See also: “butter lake”. :wink:

5 Likes

It’s a flexible accronym. Some people love to add TPSTOBacon. Or TPSTOSC (sour cream).

4 Likes

very true!

that is a beautiful plate of food…

2 Likes

@mariacarmen coined it after I kept writing it out all the time.

My phone now understands and autofills when I start typing TP… :grin:

10 Likes

:rofl:

4 Likes

Tonight I made BYO (non-traditional) bibimbap bowls. Toppings were teriyaki-glazed tofu, kimchi, seaweed salad, CSA cucumbers, pickled radish/carrot/red onion, sesame slaw, foraged oyster mushrooms, garlicky CSA zucchini, tomatoes in black vinegar, and a mayo-based savory-sweet drizzle.

ETA: my kiddo enjoyed the build-your-own aspect and actually said, “tomatoes and cucumbers: those are my favorite!” while serving himself. He was resistant to the tofu but when I forced a few pieces on his plate he remembered how much he loves it and asked for more.

20 Likes

Tonight’s dinner was pork lo mein. This is probably one of my favourite dishes.

19 Likes

Thank you @chiel for your take on garlic noodles. I had these noodles at one of the iconic SF places (name is escaping me). I think it’s deceptively simple and difficult to nail. I’ll keep trying.

1 Like

Deconstructed salmon Caesar – possibly our last sockeye of the year? Hearts of romaine from the garden. Homemade dressing and bread for croutons.

18 Likes

Melissa Clark’s salmon salad with herbs, lime, and chiles (I used Serrano). I got it from NYT, but it’s subscriber only. Here’s a workaround; it’s good and simple:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.seattletimes.com/life/food-drink/the-best-way-to-eat-grilled-salmon-with-a-summer-recipe-to-help-you-cook-it/%3Famp=1

As I usual, I amped up the amount of herbs (TPSTOH?), onions, chilies. I didn’t want to grill so I slow roasted the salmon in lots of olive oil and salt. Served atop a brown rice/forbidden rice/barley mix. B had seconds. Spring onion loved the salmon with rice (but passed on the salad component).

19 Likes

Pork schnitzel, white gravy; and fried romaine with balsamic since I seemed to be out of veg.
Screen Shot 2022-08-10 at 6.01.37 PM

16 Likes

Calamari piccata, corn, peppers, onion and coleslaw. Parsley was left on the cutting board again. I was hungry, hadn’t eaten all day. The sun is back so I treated myself to a root beer float. I missed National Root Beer day last week, but it reminded me that I hadn’t had my annual root beer float yet this summer.

18 Likes