What's for Dinner #84 - the National Food-A-Day Month Edition - August 2022

No it doesn’t! At least not from here!

Caribbean coconut curry swordfish , rice, curried veg, and a nectarine pizza.

21 Likes

Scallion-roasted chicken over Yukon potatoes. COTC and sliced tomatoes.

Spuds, green onions, toms and corn all from the garden.

21 Likes

I had already soaked gigantes beans before I bought those gorgeous ones, so I did a copycat version. The beans themselves are different so they’re not as fat, but the outcome was probably the best I’ve achieved from dried for these beans so far.

I think it was because of two rounds of pressure cooking - first just the beans with herbs (thanks @small_h), then again with onions, tomato paste, and harissa.

22 Likes

I had shrimp and peaches so I decided to try @LindaWhit’s kabob recipe. The only thing I changed was I used shallots instead of green onions. Sides were real rice, sauteed carrots, peppers, added rice, chicken broth and tumeric, when done added green onions. Salad of mixed greens, Santa Rosa plum, celery, red onion, pine nuts, honey mustard dressing. Verdict: Very good.

24 Likes

Mrs. P made grilled shrimp salad with fresh fruit for herself and a hamburger with blue cheese and grilled onions for myself. Both were made with a Cajun dry rub. She also made guacamole and chips. It all went great with a Brunello di Montalcino.

22 Likes

All the above . It’s like going around the cape of south Africa in a row boat during the week. Made it to another weekend. That’s what matters Linda . Cheers. :wine_glass:

4 Likes

BF made a Mongolian Beef-ish stir fry, which I found a tad too sweet (shhh don’t tell him!) and he also velveted the very thinly sliced beef too much - it almost completely fell apart. But still, not at all a BAD dish, just not one of his best. Sticky rice underneath, and a tomato “dragon” (!!) on the side.

19 Likes

Kedgeree with rice, smoked trout, hardboiled egg, parsley, garlic, ginger, chili, curry and black mustard seeds

12 Likes

Salad of watermelon / feta / lemon juice + zest / basil (no mint in the house, which I prefer).

Main was spicy peanut noodles (soy sauce / sesame oil / chunky peanut butter / touch of honey / crush red pepper) with fresh thick udon noodles, leftover Korean cukes, scallions, Quorn “chicken” patty for my protein, a mix of shrimp and Quorn patty for B. I think he had thirds! There go my plans for leftovers.

Not pictured: shrimp cocktail and good COTC with butter and sprinkled with Old Bay.

And of course, because I’m posting from my phone, photos are sideways. :upside_down_face: (Long time Greater Boston Onions are accustomed to my photo woes).

19 Likes

Or wearing a dark suit and the sour creams drips out when I’m too busy gobbling it down and not paying attention. That’s happened to me a couple times over lunch.

We’re camping and last night made our family favorite, angel hair with fresh homegrown tomatoes, CSA basil, garlic, and olive oil. Sides of chicken breast cutlets, sauteed CSA broccolini and an arugula salad with lemon-shallot vinaigrette, blueberries, and croutons as well as Italian prosciutto, poppy-peppercorn water crackers, and marinated olives. Purchased cheesecake brownies for dessert. Biltmore Brut in our insulated tumblers :grin:

22 Likes

Love how the pasta is your main & the chicken your side.

3 Likes

The menu is definitely glamping! Fabulous!

4 Likes

Farmer taught me that trick many years ago. I was resistant at first, now it’s the only way I cook it.
I do 3 ears 9 min. Half that time if I’m going to char it on the grill.
Love corn season!

2 Likes

Not the most photogenic dish but I loved it. Quite spicy. Similar to street corn tho less messy to eat.

19 Likes

Pholourie (split pea fritters) with tamarind/date chutney, okra with scotch bonnets, bell peppers, tomatoes, cilantro, and coconut. The pholourie and okra were for our current COTQ. Leftover rice alongside.

24 Likes

Looks amazing!

2 Likes

It was just a half a breast (cut lengthwise). :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like

Giant rib eyes tonight with Caesar salad and onion rings. Malbec for me and IPA for him.

23 Likes