What's For Dinner #83 - the I Scream, You Scream Edition - July 2022

That’s my kinda relleno!

3 Likes

Paella inspired dish (not cooked in a paella pan) with Senia rice, chorizo, butternut squash, tomatoes, onion, garlic, saffron, smoked paprika and chicken broth

14 Likes

Ooh yay! I bought that seasoning from TJ’s with no plan. I think I’ll try it with Pierogi.

1 Like

Sounds delicious!

1 Like

A big salad of some stuff I grew (peas, lettuce, cukes) and some stuff I didn’t. With hardboiled egg and roasted bass belly, something I’ve never had before but will absolutely buy again if I see it.

IMG_3362

And what was supposed to be roasted avocado squash. It refused to brown (because it’s watery) and instead just got kind of mushy. Oh, well.

IMG_3363

15 Likes

Are the potatoes similar to this?

No, although that sounds pretty good. These were much simpler. Only the dry harissa spice mix and butter.

2 Likes

I used the TJs seasoning last night, but had actually intended to use the actual adjika from Kachka that I have in the freezer - couldn’t find it!

The real thing is much more complex, savory, and flavorful than the TJs powder - which tastes like Indian pickle mix to me - so not a bad thing, just different. Main flavors of the powder are chilli and fenugreek.

1 Like

Last night was the cardamom-spiced chicken kebabs from our current COTM. They were supposed to be served with the green zhug from the book, and even though I had the zhug prepped and ready to go, I forgot to serve it. If you make these, don’t do that. The zhug would have really upped the flavor and been the perfect complement. Leftover pilaf (with dill and preserved lemon) on the side. And a salad, which was arugula, basil, mint, sungold tomatoes, grape tomatoes, and chickpeas roasted with harissa spice mix. The salad was dressed in just olive oil and the harissa spice mix (from Mourad). The spice mix has citric acid in it which was enough to make the salad tart without adding lemon or vinegar. This was a particularly delicious salad and kinda stole the show from the kebabs.

20 Likes

Good to know, ty

1 Like

@gcaggiano - can’t believe it took me so long to make one of these. Delish.

Martinez Cocktail

6 Likes

that looks delicious! what are you using in place of the chicken?

I’m using Daring chicken, in “original” flavor.

4 Likes

it looks so much like the real deal!

It does, and the texture is pretty close as well - kind of like thigh meat. It’s pretty neutral in flavor, and really absorbs a marinade well, so it’s working for these kebab type dishes where the marinade provides strong flavors.

4 Likes

Interesting! So it’s comparable to pre -cooked chicken meat?

Such a great idea! If you had to describe the difference in taste between pea and garbanzo falafel, what would you say it was?

2 Likes

I’d say pretty close, although the garbanzo is nuttier maybe, the pea a bit sweeter.

1 Like

I’m trying to catch up on meals. I think this was from Monday. There was also local store-bought clear clam chowder not pictured, which is my preference over the creamy glop that is endemic in Massachusetts (I am a native Rhode Islander, where clear chowder prevails).

Local kale slaw and olives from a local shop doctored up with lemon and garlic for starters.

Hake marinated in olive oil / garlic / lemon / dried oregano / S&P. Roasted along with baby bok choy, which got liberal lashings of chili crisp.

16 Likes

I think I’ll give it a try!

1 Like