What's For Dinner #83 - the I Scream, You Scream Edition - July 2022

Leftoverpalooza tonight. I had chili mac, DH had chili dogs, and the kiddo ate freshly-heated BBQ pork bun, Taiwanese scallion pancake, and sweet-soy zucchini. It’s really all just a prelude to dessert for him, though.

15 Likes

That fish looks soooo good.

1 Like

Dinner tonight. Cooler temps in Greater Boston call for roasting indoors! Local feta/local tomatoes/garlic/chickpeas/jalapeño/prodigious olive oil. Leftover hake atop of B’s portion. Ladeled over Sfoglini whole grain radiatore. Sides of a salad of romaine/tomato/kale slaw/my usual mustard vinaigrette and pretty good local COTC (not pictured).

17 Likes

I love that philosophy!

3 Likes

Patterned tonight’s dinner after this recipe, but while chatting via text with sister while combining the shrimp rub ingredients, I wasn’t paying attention and went a bit too salty. Even the sweetness of the peaches didn’t cut it. :cry:

Didn’t do the green onions; used a small zucchini separately instead. And this is when I really miss having a grill.

Wine.

21 Likes

(post deleted by author)

I don’t know why this didn’t work the first time except I have a 101° fever from Covid. My spouse took the boat out on Cape Cod bay over the high tide. He was hoping for striped bass but caught a bluefish, instead. We have been cooking it this way since the 1980’s. Sadly I had nausea and no hunger, but he enjoyed the meal…

22 Likes

Heh, surprised to see hake. At dad’s restaurant we used it or cusk the most but also cod or haddock for the fish & chips. The tourists were always asking about it.

2 Likes

Oh darn I hope you are feeling better soon! The pics look delish and maybe you can recreate this meal another time when your taste buds come back

6 Likes

I’m pretty certain I’ve had it twice. Fortunately, becuase of vaccines and boosters, I’m not in need of hospitalization. But feeling like shit isn’t fun, no matter where you land…I am a super smeller and taster. To look at food and. not want to ingest it is a major fail for me. Opportunity lost.

6 Likes

Manchego cheese, cauli, corn polenta with chorizo and shrimp. A side of zanahorías aliñadas, sweet onion and roasted piquillo peppers. Sangria. Olé! Olé!

19 Likes

Prime ribeye on the grill. Farmstand corn on the cob. Broccolini, green beans and zucchini from the garden. Salmoriglio on everything.

21 Likes

@BeefeaterRocks made Chicken Piccata last night and I was inspired to do the same tonight. But with extra capers. Extra extra capers.

There was a vodka martini. I’m off tomorrow. Yay.

22 Likes

It’s one of those drinks that’s so good but flies under the radar. Almost every bar has all the ingredients but if you ordered one, they wouldn’t know what it is. I first had this probably five years ago at an upscale bar and loved it. But even I too forgot about it. I even made one for my mom and she thought it was delicious.

2 Likes

So sorry! Feel better.

1 Like

You can never have too many capers. I like extra, extra wine/butter sauce. I had extra, extra in the pan to add later. More capers too.

7 Likes

Wish you good recovery.

Do you bake the potato layer first, or does it all go in together? Or is it just plated together but cooked apart?

ETA: Duh me, thanks for the recipe :joy:

You slice the potatoes with the scary mandoline, and roast them for about 20 minutes until they develop a crust and then top them with the fish.

3 Likes

I honestly don’t like bluefish, but I love the potatoes. Bluefish is strong and mushy.

1 Like

I love a martinez when I want a change from my regular martini.

1 Like