What's For Dinner #83 - the I Scream, You Scream Edition - July 2022

Here is some explanation from the book:

I’ve also seen a recipe that adds Coca Cola to the mix:

2 Likes

Wow! Does he cook like this after a full day of work?

2 Likes

Last night’s dinner was stirfried chicken and broccoli served over rice noodles. My hankering for rice noodles continues…

15 Likes

It has been a while since I’ve joined in the fun here but could not resist sharing a picture of this delicious phyllo tomato galette I made on Sunday after harvesting a bunch of tomatoes. Reheated a couple of squares for breakfast and leftovers are just as good. Served with a cabbage slaw, roasted shishitos, and grilled peaches with pomegranate balsamic.

Tomato galette

25 Likes

You’ve just posted a picture of my death row dinner

3 Likes

Last night was stuffed peppers. Two greens from the CSA, and then I had half a red and a little less than half of a yellow left over from another meal, so I stuffed them too. I much prefer the green peppers for stuffing. The red and yellow were too sweet and it didn’t taste right. I normally don’t put tomato sauce on my stuffed peppers, but I had some already made that I wanted to use up, so why not? On the side were roast potatoes with harissa spices from the Sahadi book (current COTM). Very simple, but the kind of thing you just want to keep eating.

20 Likes

WANT. And that plate. Swoon.

2 Likes

Tonight’s dinner was a basa fillet in black bean sauce, broccoli in black bean sauce and rice noodles.

11 Likes

Tonight we grilled Niman Ranch tomahawk pork chops on our new Weber. I rubbed them with Spicewalla mustard-tarragon, honey-herb, and black pepper-coriander blends. Sides were creamy dilled tomato-cucumber salad and pearl couscous salad with garden herb and pistachio pesto, zucchini, and peas. Obviously I had to attack that delicious rib bone; I came nowhere close to finishing the chop or the pasta. My DH is a bit of an over-portioner. I also have a hearty appetite.

21 Likes

THAT CHOP :heart_eyes:

4 Likes

Chicken thigh piccata, cotc, cucumber, tomato, onion, o&v dressing with basil chiffonade salad.
The parsleys missed the photo shoot, but they made it to the plate before it was consumed.

19 Likes

the BF is sadly underemployed at the moment. but i mean, it’s not really that much work, and some things (like the sprouts) he already had ready. what he’s really good at is managing leftovers and extra produce that needs using up before it goes bad.

but i’m not trying to underplay how effing great he is. :laughing: cuz he is. :heart_eyes:

14 Likes

The other vareniki: blueberry with a sweet cherry syrup, sour cream, and a sprig of basil.

21 Likes

Sunday i made a chorizo bolognese - Mexican chorizo and ground beef, tomato paste and sauce, crushed garlic, bay leaf and cumin, simmered for a couple hours. after it cooked but while still hot i added pimento-stuffed green olives, and then served over smaller-than-usual bucatini. BF plated for me - topped with a little grated Mexican cheese mix leftover from nachos, and a bit of crema. He made a salad with a fresh oregano vinaigrette which was a little to potent for me - i prefer that particular herb dried in a dressing i think, it was a bit medicinal. But otherwise, good! I was kind of going for the Mexican spaghetti i used to get at El Coyote, an old school restaurant in Hollywood a thousand years ago. not the same, but scratched the itch a bit.

21 Likes

Chorizo tacos with tomatillo avocado salsa, and a side of refried pinto beans.

19 Likes

echoing Saregama - THAT CHOP!!! SWOONY!

3 Likes

That’s simply gorgeous!

ooh ooh i have all those things!

1 Like

that relleno is a thing of beauty.

4 Likes

No cooking mojo despite some great produce from yesterday’s Flushing excursion.

Found the mini pelmeni I bought loose from a bin at Brighton Beach last week in the freezer while digging for an easy out. Remembered “pelmeni with adjika butter” from reading the cookbook Kachka a few years ago.

Added half a bag of Brussels sprouts to the pelmeni after they had cooked halfway.

Finished in a pan with butter, adjika, scallions, and finally some very rich Greek yogurt in lieu of smetana.

Yum!

22 Likes