What's For Dinner #83 - the I Scream, You Scream Edition - July 2022

We got Bob Q! Pics are my smoker setup, my pork butt, and a slight dissembling to hurry cooling and further shredding. Served with a gold sauce and some pickled fennel. Buns.

14 Likes

I hit up my local farmstand today and bought 3 beautiful bowls, all proceeds benefitting a local food pantry. I am grateful to live within walking distance of a farm.

Grilled salmon / whole wheat spaghetti with garlic scape pesto / watermelon feta salad. My first time making watermelon salad and not the last. It was so refreshing and with the availability of mini watermelons, it’s much less of a hassle to prep. The awesome local feta plus extra lemon juice+zest really put it over the top.

Plating still leaves something to be desired. My dish had air fried tofu as the protein but it was not photogenic. :laughing:

19 Likes

As tonight’s dinner fixings were consumed last night, WFD was pizza from the pantry, fridge and freezer. I like the Serious Eats pan pizza recipe for a number of reasons, one of which is there is no long preferment – a decent dough can be made in the course of a day (I like to add a dollop of sourdough discard to give it that “old dough” flavor).

The usual: pepperoni and black olive. On the side: garden romaine with homemade Caesar dressing.

20 Likes

Vive le 14 juillet! aka Bastille day.
Charcuterie and a Cotes du Rhone. I stuffed myself, the funky Brutle Blue and grapes will be dessert later.

22 Likes

Last night at my sister’s i made a small, partial leg of lamb, marinated in lemon/garlic/olive oil, fresh oregano & thyme. Turned out a bit rare, as you can see, but we took individual slices and put them back to cook a bit longer. with COTC and way-too-skinny asparagus.

My breakfast this morning was a lamb & egg taco, to start my day off right.

And there was still a big chunk of lamb leftover, so tonight the BF made “gyros” out of it - fantastic! Store-bought pita, his own tzatziki. On the side, I made a salad with the first farmers’ mkt. heirloom tomato of the season, burrata, and plenty of fresh basil.

23 Likes
9 Likes

Fettuccine with carrots, fennel and broccoli in an orange-cream sauce (made by mixing heavy cream, vegetable broth and reduced orange juice and some orange zest in the end to give it a fresh kick)

15 Likes

WOW! What a cool idea! I try to watch my carbs but am not particularly obsessive about it (though I was at one point). Did you regrind store bought chicken or did you grind it yourself? I don’t often buy ground chicken but yours looks much finer than what I recall seeing.

@Amandarama’s suggestion of adding ground pork rinds to help bind the meat does work. I used to cook for a family following a keto-esqu diet before keto was a big thing and products were more readily available. I used ground pork rinds as a binder in meatloaf, meat balls, etc, and as a breading.

I often had to make pizzas for demos or cooking classes when I still worked at WS. You’d think they’d have a good oven but ours sucked. I almost always used a cast iron fry pan for my pizzas as @Saregama suggests. I’d heat it up on the stove with some olive oil to get it as hot as possible, put in my crust and toppings and put it the oven. It worked well, especially in an oven that barely could hit 400 degrees.

Looking forward to seeing your riffs.

8 Likes

Those cups :heart_eyes:! What brand?

You’re adorable. Love a savory breakfast.

1 Like

Boars Head. Sliced about 1/8" thick. I always keep one around in the freezer for pizza emergencies. In my town, the Kroger store carries it.

9 Likes

I don’t care for really skinny asparagus either. Used to buy only thin asparagus, but one day none was available so bought the thicker bunch. After eating it, vowed to not buy skinny asparagus again.

4 Likes

because they happen

6 Likes

They do! Pizza to the rescue!

1 Like

(post deleted by author)

Had to deviate from menu plan last night and will deviate again tonight, but will not do so Saturday. Last night air fryed a smoked sausage, as well as a very small cabbage “steak” and a smallish one. Seasoned the cabbage on both sides with a bit of salt, pesto vinaigrette, and parmesan cheese. The cabbage was not as done as I like it, so don’t know if I will use this method again for it. But, the crispy brown parts were yummy. I am a bread person and had to have a slice of buttered bread, too.

8 Likes

This is my favorite too. Make sure the wrapper says “natural casing” (not sure but I think Boar’s Head also makes a less-expensive, synthetic casing product) - it’s the natural casing that makes the pepperonis cup.

5 Likes

Do tell. Recipe or muscle memory?

@Saregama @digga I did that once - I think on CH. But I’m so lame that everytime I scrolled by that person’s name and it showed something like “content blocked” then I became morbidly curious what they had said and clicked on show blocked content anyway. So it did me no good. I cannot resist temptation…

2 Likes

Noted! Thanks