What's For Dinner #83 - the I Scream, You Scream Edition - July 2022

Last night was bbq chicken.

Huh? I’m sorry? What? No I didn’t upload the wrong pic, I had BBQ chicken last night!!

Ground chicken, egg, grated pecorino romano and seasoning as the crust!!

Going into the oven 425 20 mins

Finished product! If you like Mc Rib this is for you!!! I liked the chicken crust, maybe try to make it crispier next time, but overall pretty dam good!

Next attempt will be Chicken Cordon Blu. Topped with ham, Swiss and some kind of bechamel sauce!

Yes, my son saw this on tic tok and asked to make it, honestly not too shabby!

19 Likes

Neat! Looks like whoever put this up on TikTok repurposed a Nigella Lawson recipe from 2012 - Meatzza. She uses a baking tin (and 3 T. of breadcrumbs to help bind), rather than freeform, but same idea.

2 Likes

Yeah, they gave the nutritional info after the video, so I assume the video was an Atkins, paleo etc. type diet dish. Trying to avoid carbs as I do, this is an excellent alternative. I bet the breadcrumbs would help, but then increase the carb load.

Probably - and I’m sure she wasn’t the first to publish this type of thing either! If you feel like it needs more to help bind it, I wonder if pulverized fried pork rinds would be the way to go?

2 Likes

I was thinking also of using a “vented” pizza pan I have with holes to allow for better air circulation. I’m wondering if that would help vs. a baking sheet.

1 Like

It certainly would help with air circulation - you might also consider (if feasible) forming the crust on something like the upper sheet of a broiling pan. Then you get air circulation and extra drainage for fats, which would help with crisping.

1 Like

I think full direct metal contact would help crisping vs a vented pan – I wonder if starting in a cast iron pan or griddle on the stovetop would help.

Once the base is done, it can be transferred to the vented pan or a rack on the sheet pan, topped, and finished. Or you can leave it in the cast iron pan and finish under the broiler.

Maybe more cheese too - like a frico on the bottom.

3 Likes

Only a few short years ago, I had a “city” studio apartment for work. Not only no AC, but top floor under the roof, giant south facing windows, and the window and “deck” door all on a single side. Because it was about 170 sq ft all told. Every day after work, I came home to 86 degrees inside, and with a fan running nonstop until morning, could only get it down to 81ish. What helped was to sit on the futon with a jar of pickles out of the fridge between my feet. I.e. sit like a yoga master, soles on jar. Seriously. Don’t knock it till you try it lol!!

6 Likes

Our first (!) Greek dinner in town. Tarama, melitsanosalata, kolokithakia me tzatziki, oxtapodi & kalamarakia, pork & lamb souvlaki. Too much food, and unfortunately no room left for their scrumptious loukoumades :frowning:

14 Likes

Still managing to stick to my meal plan for this week. Beyond simple last night. Air fried bacon and pancakes from a Kruestez mix. Just the right taste for the night. Even got my fancy china out.

16 Likes

:face_with_hand_over_mouth::joy:oh, dear.

1 Like

What a picture! :rofl:

1 Like

Dinner tonight is the last of the roasted chicken and vegetables tossed with fettuccine and bok choy in a lemon-soy butter sauce. I sprinkled the crispy skin on top before serving.

20 Likes

I know right? When you’re hot, you do whatcha gotta do. And when I was in that apt, I was by myself. So no one there to tease me either. The trick is to keep at least 2 jars of something in the fridge, and swap them out when one warms up too much :slight_smile: :grin:

6 Likes

Tonight’s dinner was an international affair. I started with dolmades from the Persian grocery store, Korean lettuce salad inspired by Maangchi, and fettuccine al pesto.

15 Likes

We got Bob Q! Pics are my smoker setup, my pork butt, and a slight dissembling to hurry cooling and further shredding. Served with a gold sauce and some pickled fennel. Buns.

14 Likes

I hit up my local farmstand today and bought 3 beautiful bowls, all proceeds benefitting a local food pantry. I am grateful to live within walking distance of a farm.

Grilled salmon / whole wheat spaghetti with garlic scape pesto / watermelon feta salad. My first time making watermelon salad and not the last. It was so refreshing and with the availability of mini watermelons, it’s much less of a hassle to prep. The awesome local feta plus extra lemon juice+zest really put it over the top.

Plating still leaves something to be desired. My dish had air fried tofu as the protein but it was not photogenic. :laughing:

19 Likes

As tonight’s dinner fixings were consumed last night, WFD was pizza from the pantry, fridge and freezer. I like the Serious Eats pan pizza recipe for a number of reasons, one of which is there is no long preferment – a decent dough can be made in the course of a day (I like to add a dollop of sourdough discard to give it that “old dough” flavor).

The usual: pepperoni and black olive. On the side: garden romaine with homemade Caesar dressing.

20 Likes

Vive le 14 juillet! aka Bastille day.
Charcuterie and a Cotes du Rhone. I stuffed myself, the funky Brutle Blue and grapes will be dessert later.

22 Likes

Last night at my sister’s i made a small, partial leg of lamb, marinated in lemon/garlic/olive oil, fresh oregano & thyme. Turned out a bit rare, as you can see, but we took individual slices and put them back to cook a bit longer. with COTC and way-too-skinny asparagus.

My breakfast this morning was a lamb & egg taco, to start my day off right.

And there was still a big chunk of lamb leftover, so tonight the BF made “gyros” out of it - fantastic! Store-bought pita, his own tzatziki. On the side, I made a salad with the first farmers’ mkt. heirloom tomato of the season, burrata, and plenty of fresh basil.

23 Likes