What's For Dinner #82 - June 2022 - the Scary Campfire Stories and Sticky S'Mores Month

This looks really good - thank you for the link!

1 Like

Chicken and veggie stir-fry ala Moo Goo Gai Pan.

Broccolini, carrots and snow peas from the garden.

21 Likes

BF made chicken birria tacos with all the fixings. Unfortunately, his birria came out a little too clove-y - same problem i had when i made birria last time. We’ll get it right one of these times! Crisped up chicken skins as garnish on mine.

23 Likes

beautifully done!

1 Like

no worries! no one’s that particular here. at least I hope not.

Linguine Carbonara with slightly crispy diced ham steak and peas

20 Likes

Felt like Thai food. Went back to the hipster place in our hood, and it was very good again.

We split “Better than Boyfriend” - grilled pork belly with macadamia plum sauce (fantastic)

“Chubby Chili” - steamed wontons with chicken & shrimp in a fiery sauce (very good)

Ceviche that kinda wasn’t, but tasty nonetheless (salmon, avocado, mango, red onions, Thai dressing)

And finally “Devil Duck” - spicy crispy duck on veggies. Nice heat level.

19 Likes

But of course! Both are tucked into the farmer’s market picture. The key lime wasn’t very key limey last night. I was kind of hoping the cake part would have some hint of lime, but I think it was just the frosting, and it still wasn’t enough lime for me. But it was good, and supports a local business.

4 Likes

I’ve started July’s thread here:

9 Likes

Looks fantastic!

1 Like

That tri-tip looks lovely. Mr Bean always laughs at me when I twist and turn a weird piece of meat to the grain/knife orientation correct.

5 Likes

I love pork and peaches. Thanks for inspiring me!

2 Likes

You correct because you care.

2 Likes

Had a simple, but good end of month dinner last night. Do wish I had put more cheese in the mac & cheese; will do that when I warm up the leftover. In addition to the Instant Pot (IP) mac & cheese, had celery, wonderful IP green beans, and an air fryer ground beef patty.

16 Likes

Love this. Need to dig out my IP soon. I live in a small stone converted barn protected by four adult black walnut trees plus other trees but the free a/c can only last so long for us before the house heats up. I learned to love a simple ground beef patty many moons ago but mine was fried in a cast iron skillet. I wasn’t being low carb, the bread was always stale in my mom’s kitchen. But the beef was ground round from the wholesale beef place. It was for my mom’s siamese cat gretel but she shared. Mostly.

Thanks Linda!

(post deleted by author)

Thank you, @wholetthedogsout. Such a wonderful abundance of those delicious black walnuts. Bet you have bumper crops of them.

All my life I have loved to cook. Made my very cheese souffle when I was only 11 years old and it was a great success. Have been collecting recipes since being a girl, also. So when I broke my back on three different occasions and hospitalized for months at a time, it became more and more difficult to stand to cook. After the 3rd time, it was impossible to do any standing for a period of time. Then out came the Instant Pot (IP) and the air fryer (AF). Purchased both hoping that they would enable me continue cooking and recipe trying and collecting. What game changers for me. I will always be thanking for the people who came up with the ideas for these two cooking tools.

Now I can experiment with and try new recipes to my hearts desire since I don’t have to stand for long period of time to dump and go in the IP and a few minutes in the AF.

6 Likes

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: What’s For Dinner #83 - the I Scream, You Scream Edition - July 2022

What a lovely comment to come home to after stumbling around in the heat. We have black walnuts for a very specific reason. The previous owner wanted them because they stand for intellect. Young walnut trees can be very competitive and toxic to other plant life. But they mellow out with age like maybe fine wine. The black raspberry patch and the trees get along just fine. But the squirrels who I can learn from love to squirrel food away for the winter. The little suckers placed some in our big hedge out front. I did not know those mini brats did this until I found black walnut trees growing inside our hedge and that part of the hedge dead. So young walnut trees are bratty too. We have lots of black walnuts in the fall. When they come crashing down it sounds like a war zone. Then we have to go on patrol and pick up the walnuts on our walkway. A colleague at the library twisted her ankle badly when she was doing a historic enactment at night. I admire your ability to adopt and I am so happy for you.