What's For Dinner #83 - the I Scream, You Scream Edition - July 2022

I feel like Homer Simpson drooling at those ribs! Amazing!

3 Likes

So glad you’re able to get back on stage…I hope it was a good night for all, performers and audience!

1 Like

Looks like an amazing food-centric day, with a 100% enjoyment rate! That should make anyone happy! Hopefully you’re feeling ok this morning/afternoon.

2 Likes

Happy birthday weekend, @gcaggiano!

1 Like

Another dinner, another restaurant meal >ducks<

I swearrrrrz I cook 4-5 nights outta the week when I’m back home, but we haven’t been in Berlin since July 2019. And it’s hard to be frugal and not go out when yer surrounded by so. many. great. foods that we simply don’t have access to in bum-F-nowhere.

So… Turkish it was. The temps were in the mid 80s well into the evening, and that turns my mind and appetite to Mediterranean/Middle Eastern/Levante food. Or grilled meats n mezedes :slight_smile:

We split the eggplant & yogurt appetizer, and the lamb platter. Everything was great, the lamb ribs in particular. You don’t get to smell that luscious, crispy lamb fat a lot.

19 Likes

Had the remaining macaroni and cheese doctored up along with a cherry tomato salad, which was yummy, with a battered fish fillet, leftover Instant Pot green beans.

18 Likes
6 Likes

Tonight I made linguini with pesto alla Trapanese, as shared by @MunchkinRedux. Topped with sauteed foraged chicken of the wood mushroom that was shared today by a fellow forager out in the field. Pretty darn generous!

The pesto was good - I would add a few sun-dried tomatoes next time for more intense tomato flavor and umami. Willamette Valley Pinot Gris to go with.

22 Likes

Pimiento cheese dip and crackers! Hazy Little Thing IPA for him and Kim Crawford Sav Blanc for me :grin:

20 Likes

Broiled porgy with sage, fava and snap pea salad with ranch dressing (again! the half cup I made is at least a couple more salads). And a celery tonic, for health.

17 Likes

I don’t think it was me who shared that particular recipe, but it looks great!

Whoops! A quick search turned up @honkman as the likely source for the idea, if not the direct recipe link. My bad!

Last night:

Finished the dal from the other day, with basmati+quinoa and mustard-green chilli salmon.

Tonight:

Char siu pork with scallion and egg fried rice.

Cooked the Char Siu pork country ribs I marinated a couple of weeks ago (and froze). I cut them smaller to see if the marinade would have more impact.

Reverse sear style - low temp (275F) first then broiled with marinade+honey. The smaller pieces cooked up faster, and also got a bit more char, which I like.

Plenty of leftovers, always a good thing.

23 Likes

Used the Swiss chard from Thursday’s FM purchase in this easy dish, mostly patterned after a recipe from TheKitchn website. I used the chard for the spinach, canned butter beans, and Aleppo pepper instead of RPF. And basil chiffonade was added on top of the plated dish.

A French Tart before dinner; a glass of white wine with. More peach and blueberry cobbler for afters.

Finny will be hiding behind the TV console around 9:30 p.m. as my town’s fireworks are tonight.

https://www.thekitchn.com/recipe-shrimp-with-white-beans-spinach-tomatoes-weeknight-dinner-recipes-from-the-kitchn-96880#post-recipe-9445

24 Likes

Homemade Chef Boyardee

18 Likes

Your dinner looks so fab. What is RPF? Kind of moot though, as you and I seem to agree that Aleppo pepper is virtually always the right answer. :wink: Aleppo is the best, isn’t it? Balanced and versatile to my taste.

Red pepper flakes?

4 Likes

Fresh corn salad with basil and Israeli feta, and smoked salmon.

21 Likes

Red Pepper flakes. Can sometimes overwhelm my tastebuds. Whereas Aleppo pepper is less “bitey” and has that slight citrus undertone I like.

5 Likes

Early this morning I told the house painter (also a friend) that I was not cooking today. By late morning I found myself thinking that soaking beans to cook for the upcoming week & freezer seemed like a good idea. Then I realized I had onions & Swiss chard that needed using so a throw together soup was assembled while the beans were in the oven. No one is going hungry this week!

25 Likes