What's For Dinner #82 - June 2022 - the Scary Campfire Stories and Sticky S'Mores Month

I will have to check out what you have been cooking. I tend to bust out my IP more in the summer so as not to heat up the kitchen. I know of another excellent cook who cannot walk much but she cooks jaw dropping meals and cooks with her husband. What a team. A souffle that young? Wow. I was like a mexican jumping bean so it is good that I did not attempt that. I didn’t love to cook but I had two doting grandmothers plus my uncle george. I don’t know if you have ever seen My Three Sons but my Uncle George was a lot like Uncle Charlie with lots more beer and grumpiness. I remember my maternal grandmother used to make frie tomatos for sunday breakfast. When the fried sliced tomatoes ran out the milk gravy with little brown bits was so delicious that I was not the only one to devour slices of white bread with gravy. This was the only food I ever overate as a little girl. I can remember lying on the couch with a belly ache. One hot day I wanted some fried tomatoes which my mom made too. She told me “make them yourself” So I did. And that was how I learned to cook while surrounded by cooks.

My family on both sides were crazy about green beans. I think they called them string beans though. I ate so many green beans and loved them. My one grandmother had vivid memories of the Great Depression. She would put stale bread out for the birds but children would come and eat the scraps. I can still how she lowered her voice and head in sorrow and she was not usually that way so it really got my attention. Then she smile a little and said she of course she then put out big chunks of fresh bread. Green beans can get cold very fast. I did not care for them cold and there were no microwaves. A couple of times I refused to eat my green beans and she made me sit at the table alone until I ate them. I still love green beans. I don’t do green beans this way anymore but everyone served the green beans “frenched” back then. And always with mashed potatoes as they go so well together. I have a date with a pizza cooked on a little cast iron fajita pan and I even got guilted into taking a pic just this once. So when it cools down I will eat that but now I want this dinner.

2 Likes

Saw your post in my notifications but cannot find it so I will just reply here “Had the remaining macaroni and cheese doctored up along with a cherry tomato salad, which was yummy, with a battered fish fillet, leftover Instant Pot green beans”. The AF great for battered fish. Don’t get me started on tomatoes as I do tend to go on. No tartar sauce? I like a little. Have become fascinated by discussions on what the Queen eats and drinks. All right it’s finally hot. As a big treat she sometimes gets carry away. A small fish and chips. So you are dining like a queen. I crack myself up a lot when I think about things like posting in WFL with pictures maybe. I ain’t no Queen so my lunch was a McDonald’s drive thru happy meal. And the toy Sucked. I ate half the fries and nibbled at the cheeseburger. My dog did not even want one fry. Came home and added rum to my small coke. Refreshing.

3 Likes

Whoa! That last line got me giggling! Thanks for these small surprises in your posts.

3 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: What’s For Dinner #83 - the I Scream, You Scream Edition - July 2022

(post deleted by author)

5 Likes

Your grandmother was an exceptional woman. What a story, what a gift.

1 Like

@mariacarmen and @honkman - food looks great! Did you intend, though, to post to the July WFD thread?

2 Likes

I guess I live in the past

3 Likes

I moved @mariacarmen 's post to #83, but @honkman had already reposted on July’s thread, so that one can be deleted here, if he wants to do so.

2 Likes

thank you, i did not! behind the times… thanks again!

1 Like

What a lovely comment. Thank you.

Thank you so much. Your comment means a lot to me.

Can you sweet talk him into sharing his recipe or his method? And what cut of beef does he use? I’m about to bust out the smoker this week to do some pulled pork, but smoked beef barbacoa sounds like a good follow up.

There’s something so satisfying about visiting a farmers market after work. I did this here and there when I had to airplane commute and was living alone most weeks. It allowed me to mentally transition from work, breathe a little more slowly, and particularly in the summer, grab some amazing product that I could look forward to cooking and eating over the next handful of days. Win win win!

2 Likes

Your tortillas are always a work of art. I’m curious - when you char them like that, do they become brittle, or are they still flexible enough to fold/roll? I don’t have gas on my range, so I’ll warm tortillas in the oven. But they get very brittle and crack when eating unless I pull them out pretty quickly.

1 Like

so nice of you to say! they remain quite soft, even with the charring. I don’t like them uncharred because they don’t have as much corn flavor. And yeah, I char them, plate and eat almost immediately. but if i wanted to do a few and keep them warm and tender, i’d fold them into a cloth napkin until it was time to eat. I mean, at some point they’d probably get a bit brittle, but not right away.

3 Likes

I think the difference is the exceptionally high heat, that can impart that color and flavor to the outside layer while the inside remains tender. The oven takes too long to warm the tortilla enough and by that point, it’s a cracker!

2 Likes

(post deleted by author)

1 Like

makes sense to me!