What's for Dinner - #81 - the Planting Month - May 2022

I can sympathize (and in fact do right this very moment as I write you from a reclined position on the floor). Speaking from recent experience, an anti-inflammatory injection plus a course of Prednisone can really, really help with a terrible attack.

Glad you are letting others cook for you all while she’s down for the count.

3 Likes

Wish I had that right now!

1 Like

Thanks Christina (and everyone else for your sympathies)! I’m so sorry that you are experiencing back pain, especially so close after your unfortunate Covid experience. I can also sympathize since I had a laminectomy 2 1/2 years ago and am still experiencing back pain (mainly form osteoarthritis) and a painful hamstring that has been bothering me for over a year. She just started seeing a chiropractor and she is doing TENS treatments at home. I just bought some Deep Blue rub which helps a little. I’m trying to get her to a pain management Dr.

3 Likes

They’re probably related as COVID slowed me down a bit with fatigue and I haven’t exercised much at all lately. When I do moderate core-heavy exercise (such as TRX), my back tends to do better as long as I don’t overdo it.

1 Like

I don’t have significant back issues but find when I get lax on my regular exercise it does tens to get tight. Mr Bean always recommends core exercise for folks with back issues. A strong core helps protect your back.

3 Likes

Last night was a rotisserie chicken from Costco (skin didn’t quite make it to the plate), steamed asparagus, mashed potatoes, and a packet gravy.

19 Likes

This book was recommended to me and worked wonders. @paryzer @ChristinaM

It does take patience and time, but it was effective enough that I’ve gifted many copies.

They also have physiotherapists trained in the method (directory on the website) which is actually how I found the book: I happened upon one of them when I had an awful crick in my neck from desk work (couldn’t turn it for weeks) and the guy made me do one of the exercises for a few minutes in his office and it was just gone. And when I had a back spasm that put me flat on the floor a few years later, I turned to the book.

5 Likes

So, for the first time in a long, long time, I was so eyeballs-deep in work two nights ago that I forgot to eat dinner. Yep.

Made up for it yesterday - dimsum (outdoors) for lunch, followed by a lovely sushi dinner.

I don’t normally write up my meals out (mostly because I don’t always take pics when I’m dining with friends), but I wanted to mention this one because it’s the first time ever that someone stole my table. Yes indeed.

We got to the restaurant, which doesn’t take reservations but is a favorite and we are familiar with their pace and wait times, put our names down, and told the hostess we’d be right outside. There were 4 parties ahead of us - should be a breeze. My friend had eyes on the door (we were just next door under an awning, protected from the rain). She noted when new people went in, and also when someone left, as it indicated a shortening wait.

After about 15 painless minutes, I thought I’d pop back in to see how much longer it would be - eyes shocked above her mask, the hostess said: but we just seated your table! They went into a tizzy as they realized someone had claimed they were me (the waitlist is by name) and taken our table.

What was interesting to me to watch was how shameless the couple who did it were - they had clearly just sat down, and nothing had been ordered yet. They feigned ignorance that they had done anything like that, actually claimed that the hostess just said “table for 2?” rather than ask them to confirm their name (really? there were by then 10 sets of people waiting for tables of 2), and just sat tight. Then either the manager or the head waiter went over and had an uncomfortable and very stiff few minutes with them - I think the staff were really hoping they’d offer to get up as they had only just been seated. But no. Utterly shameless, and by now everyone seated or standing and waiting to put their names down knew what had transpired and was avidly staring them down.

Anyway, we got the next table, we had a lovely meal, and all that. But I am still shocked.

16 Likes

Wow. The audacity of some folks boggles the mind.

4 Likes

If they’re you, they should pay your check.

A similar thing happened to me years ago at Caravan of Dreams. Our party of 5 had been patiently waiting for about 20 minutes, and then another party breezed in and claimed what was almost definitely going to be our table. The hostess was not nearly as proactive as yours. She went into a “I’m very nonconfrontational! Please don’t make me do my job!” tizzy and basically ran off and hid. We left.

4 Likes

The host/manager would have totally been in their right to ask them to get up for those who were waiting. Too bad they didn’t.

2 Likes

I would find it almost impossible to go back to that restaurant after that experience. And I probably would have gone over to the table thieves and ripped them some new ones!

3 Likes

(post deleted by author)

Please wish her the best.

1 Like

After the Thai feast earlier today, a simple Abendbrot at home was in order: lovely rye/spelt bread from a bakery down the street, salted 'maters, mustard pickles, that addictive spread with scallions, assorted cheeses and smoked ham leftover from our recent asparagus meal, herring with dill, apples, onions, celery and pink peppercorns, and liverwurst with chives. Strawbz will be for dessert :slight_smile:

19 Likes

Look at you handsome sob!!!

3 Likes

A beautiful spring day here in Jersey, good day to do the garden and grill. Got some room left so I’ll grab some more seedlings next week. Speaking of next week is “move in day “ at the beach club before Memorial Day weekend!!! ((Yeahhhhhh!!!)

Some chicken-steak-sausage kabobs, corn on the cob, Spanish rice and sautéed spinach. Can’t wait for summer!!!

21 Likes

Why? It wasn’t the restaurant’s fault somebody is a dishonest ass.

1 Like

I have started a monthly CSA style subscription through a local fish purveyor, Wulf’s Fish, here in the Boston area. So, now once a month I get 5lb box of beautiful, well frozen and vacuum sealed fish ($99/month). This month’s package sent yellowtail flounder, Loch Duart salmon, Atlantic cod (Iceland), monkfish tail, and two whole rainbow trout. I was going to cook the trout tonight, but BF needs to work up to food that looks like what it was in the wild. So, I defrosted the flounder and baked them with a crabmeat stuffing (Peekytoe, from Browne Trading) - https://www.thespruceeats.com/baked-stuffed-flounder-with-crabmeat-recipe-3056535

The flounder were served over spaghettini (again, his request), which was a great bed for the buttery, lemony juices from the fish. We also had roasted green beans. Leftovers for tomorrow!

20 Likes

What veggies will you be growing in your back 40?

1 Like