What's for Dinner - #81 - the Planting Month - May 2022

Burgers on the grill. Homemade ciabatta for buns.

19 Likes

Split pea soup, romaine wedge with blue cheese dressing, radish, red onion, snap peas and a warm buttery baguette. Another rainy day, will they never end?

18 Likes

I love split pea soup and I’m not eager for summer. I prefer sweater weather!

3 Likes

Tonight, I made Halibut with Togarashi, miso, maple, mirin and lemon juice, local Ontario asparagus, a Waldorf and a Greek salad .

17 Likes

I could jump right into that!

2 Likes

Thanks! I do much prefer to buy my shrimp frozen raw with shell on. Cdc (constant dining companion) doesn’t care for shrimp so it takes awhile to fill up a bag of shells. Luckily for me he can take or leave lobster too so there is that. But in season the two of us can fill up the freezer with corn cobs fast. We don’t just eat one ear of corn here in Penna at the height of corn season. In fact the corn is dinner, I just make up a coupla other things just to break up the corn a little.

4 Likes

I used to make split pea soup with the bones and scraps from smoked chicken. Loved it. Would not dream of smoking my own chicken as there are two bbq joints nearby

2 Likes

Chorizo and cheese omelette with fresh tortillas and black beans.

18 Likes

Mixed mushroom tart with arugula and balsamic vinaigrette. Since it has been cold and rainy in my neighborhood I made my favorite Yemenite beef soup which was delicious but not very photogenic so I skipped the picture.

18 Likes

BF and I had a wonderful time in New Hope the other night, getting drinks and apps at three of the newer restaurants that have opened within the last year or so. Our schedules only allowed one night.

First was Stella, a beautifully appointed bar and restaurant right on the river with a large collection of liquor (including Chartreuse, which hardly anyone carries). And so I ordered a Last Word, very well-made and garnished with Luxardo Cherries. BF sampled two of their recommended specialty cocktails. The homemade bread basket with assorted spreads was excellent.

Then we went over to Ferry + Main, the new name for the Logan Inn’s newly expanded dining area. Their recent renovation could have cost $10 million for all the work and expansions they did. BF had a beer and I asked for a Gimlet to be made with a splash of St. Germaine. Our app was roasted beets with yogurt foam, za’atar, and flax crisps. On the first bite, I wasn’t crazy for it but the flavors did grow on me.

Always nice when the glassware is on-par with the cocktail (and pricing). Nice coupes in both of the above establishments.

Lastly was Oldestone, formerly the long-running Marsha Brown’s. A decent martini for him and another Gimlet for me, but way overpriced (even for New Hope) and the menu borders on pretentious. But a beautiful space in a former church.

22 Likes

Hot day. Turned the AC on after I got home from errands. Was drenched when I left the nursery after picking up my starter herbs.

Greek chicken thighs with LOTS of fresh herbs and lemon, baby potatoes thrown into the pan with some of the marinade for roasting, and roasted green beans, onions, and red bell pepper tossed with olive oil and Penzeys Tuscan Sunset.

Wine.

20 Likes

Yum.

Fried chicken sandwich on homemade ciabatta roll.

19 Likes

Unfortunately, Mrs. P is still experiencing excruciating pain from her sciatica so we had to cancel our dinner reservations for this weekend. However, we did enjoy some outstanding takeout from Ammata Thai in River Vale, NJ including beef pad ped; crab and shrimp curry; crispy betel leaves with Shrimp, shallot, ginger, roasted coconut, peanut, scallion, caramelized galangal paste; crispy Isaan rice balls with Minced chicken, shallot, ginger, peanut, scallion, cilantro, peanut, mint, fried chili, lime; Som Tum Thai (green papaya salad); and lon of crab and shrimp with coconut milk, shallot,
sweet chili, shrimp roe, and kaffir lime leaves. Everything was bursting with flavor. It all went great with an excellent Shiraz.

15 Likes

That all looks great. Pain really sucks. I hope she reaches a solution soon. You’re lucky to have each other.

3 Likes

Thank you! She started seeing a chiropractor. Hopefully that helps.

1 Like

It quit raining, there are patches of something blue up there. It looks vaguely familiar. Dinner was roasted blsl chicken thighs, aji verde, doctored canned pinto beans and a salad of mixed greens, pickled carrots, grape tomatoes, avocado, red onion, green olives, manchego cheese, sherry vinegar/oo dressing. Sangria-ish wine.

17 Likes

Sounds lovely. My parents had a small antique concession in Lambertville NJ. Fun to walk across the bridge and get an eyeful of the delaware. Used to go to the shad festivals in years past. Lately we can’t seem to get past Doylestown Pa though. Incredible town to walk around.

1 Like

Queso fundido again with chorizo and poblano peppers, with tortillas.

21 Likes

Ugh. Sciatica can suck it! The takeout Thai looks spectacular. Wish we had good Thai like that back home.

PS: The preferred term for the lime leaves these days is makrut :slight_smile:

6 Likes