What's for Dinner - #81 - the Planting Month - May 2022

Tonight’s dinner was a collaborative effort between myself and the Chinese grocery store I went to this afternoon. I started off with egg rolls (thank you bakery!) then had ribs (take away counter) with stirfried red cabbage, yellow pepper and bok choy. I have the last b

utter tart from the freezer for later.

19 Likes

Got the oregano, parsley, rosemary, and thyme repotted and out on the deck during a very light sprinkle.

Of course, when it came time for the Super Tunias (petunias) to be planted in my deck’s railing box, the sun came back out and I was drenched in sweat from the humidity. Thank goodness for AC.

Dinner was a fat pork chop marinated in a blend of olive oil, lime juice, lime zest, freshly cracked pepper, some Spicewalla Honey & Herb Rub, and a bit of granulated honey. Pan seared, added some white wine and a very scant splash of sherry vinegar to the pan, and into the oven to finish cooking.

Sides were Near East Rice Pilaf (they seem to have changed their seasoning packet…little to no salt?), and roasted Brussels sprouts tossed with olive oil, s/p, Aleppo pepper, dried thyme, and ground sumac.

Wine with dinner, but the first Vodka & Lemonade of the season pre-dinner while watching the end of the Celtics win against the Bucks. Not a huge fan of b-ball, but it was a decisive 7th game in the series.

21 Likes

…lovely rye/spelt bread from a bakery down the street, salted 'maters, mustard pickles, that addictive spread with scallions, assorted cheeses and smoked ham leftover from our recent asparagus meal, herring with dill, apples, onions, celery and pink peppercorns, and liverwurst with chives. Strawbz will be for dessert…

I want this!!!

2 Likes

We’ve got an assortment of Jersey tomatoes, few varieties of peppers (mostly hot), egg plant, watermelon and cantaloupe. Blueberries and grapes to come since I have some room to roam.

5 Likes

All sounds lovely. I am from the Philly area and it seems we have skipped spring and went right to summer in these parts. My Iris are making me swoon.

1 Like

Ricotta dumplings with asparagus, mushrooms and ramps. The recipe I relied on was all kinds of wrong, but I was able to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat. Almost. Still came out too salty.

21 Likes

A two-pot favorite: pasta with greens, beans, tomatoes, and sausage. Tonight I used mild Italian and kale.

Greens, scallions and parsley from the garden.

20 Likes

Dinner out two nights in a row (dear friends and then my sister’s bday) but I cooked today. Mapo tofu from Kenji’s The Wok, using the optional ground pork. Made his sichuan chili oil from scratch, too, to go with. We loved it, gobbled it down, but I think i would use more chili oil in the dish than the recipe calls for next time, as I would have liked it saucier. Still, super delish. i am (probably foolishly) hoping there are still leftovers in the morning!

22 Likes

Salisbury steak, onion gravy. Cauli mash with a big knob of butter, purple asparagus. Tomato, cucumber, red onion salad, balsamic/oo dressing. Lambrusco.

21 Likes

Looks really good, just missing some Fleischsalat and Krabbensalat

2 Likes

I’ve done this before, need to do it again. so good!

The Splendid Table Cookbook has a nice overview of different recipe versions of ragu bolognese over the centuries. This is the contemporary ragu bolognese version with a little bit less fat than the “original” one - made with ground beef, pancetta, carrots, celery, onion, tomato paste, white wine and milk (added in small portions over two hours). Overall a very good version and we always like them with the addition of milk which gives it a “silky” texture.

16 Likes

Panini with roast beef, Swiss, tomato, and a homemade cherry pepper mayo on a crusty baguette.

21 Likes

There’s always room at my dining table :slight_smile:

1 Like

If I hadn’t polished off that delightful Krabbensalat mit Limettensauce & Forellenkaviar the previous night (beer munchies), it would’ve made it on the table.

Fleischsalat (what an oxymoron, eh?) I have to be in the mood for, which isn’t often.

1 Like

Ordered, thank you!

1 Like

Yowza, that looks good. Nice lighting as well.

That’s adorable.:face_with_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like

This is a keeper. I even have andouille.

1 Like

Meals which include all the nutritional elements - protein, veg, fiber, carb, healthy fats - in a single dish are my faves when time or energy is short. :slightly_smiling_face:

ETA: and has to both taste and look good!

3 Likes