What's for Dinner - #81 - the Planting Month - May 2022

I found a recipe for a ground pork sugo I wanted to make but the BF said he would do it for me, then he ended up just doctoring up some Rao’s. It was good (and I love Rao’s) but not exactly what I had in mind. still, a fine, simple meat sauce with shells. but he made a beauty of a salad to go with.

20 Likes

Thanks so much! Taking notes

Thank you. Sensing a bean theme.

1 Like

Roasted pork tenderloin with KC BBQ sauce, roasted red sweet potatoes with a lime yogurt drizzle. Vintage broccoli salad.

18 Likes

“Japanese” salad with grilled chicken thighs (marinated a few hours in soy sauce, sake, garlic, ginger, chile, brown sugar) with edamame, radish, sugar snap peas and mizuna with a dressing made from white miso, garlic, ginger, pickled ginger, oil and vinegar and sprinkled with some wakame and roasted sesame seeds.

18 Likes

I forgot! And it was somehow sweeter for it…

1 Like

I see quiche, I want to eat quiche…
Yours looks lovely!

2 Likes

Thank you!

love the abundance of avocado!

1 Like

This sounds and looks so good! Where do you get your inspiration for dinners?

1 Like

We’re having a bathroom gutted and remodeled due to leakage and subsequent water damage. The contractor’s team is behind schedule so they stayed later yesterday than we expected, which ate into the time I would have prepped dinner. So, dinner ended up being delivery from a local Mexican place. We each got a giant burrito - carnitas for him and potato for me. With the accompanying hot sauce the restaurant sent along, they turned out to be the perfect end to the day!

11 Likes

Out of the millions of cookbooks and (German) cooking magazines around us at home. That one was a from a Diane Henry book

1 Like

Pork larb with sticky rice

23 Likes

First “proper” German meal, and it couldn’t get any more local or seasonal than this: asparagus from Beelitz, smoked ham from a local organic butcher across the street from us, new Annabelle potatoes with drawn parsley butter. The Pfälzer Riesling was probably the least local, but it was a fantastic pairing. Local, sweet as can be strawberries will be for dessert. Eventually :slight_smile:

22 Likes

My last trip to Europe was a week in Landeck, Austria, 2 days in Nuremberg and 3 days in Munich at the beginning of asparagus season in 2019. I’m wishing I hadn’t deleted the photo of my asparagus and parsley potatoes at Spatenhaus. The produce stands at Viktualienmarkt had at least 6 to 8 different asparagus varieties, from specific regions.

The only choices I get in Canada are:

Ontario, Quebec or imports,

green, white or purple, and

organic or conventional.

4 Likes

There’s a class of pastas where you take a head of broccoli/cauliflower/romanesco and deeply cook it down into a pesto-like sauce. I made one today using broccoli, starting with a couple crowns chopped up small and sautéed with garlic, chili flakes, & anchovies to get some color and develop flavor.

Then, I added some water and simmered the broccoli down until turned olive green and could be smashed with a spatula. The stems can be a stubborn, so it’s best to have chopped those really small at the outset. This step takes upwards of 30 mins.

Finally, I tossed in some pasta (orecchiette works well), pasta water and freshly grated pecorino. It’s a delicious combo, similar to a pesto but made with broccoli.

28 Likes

First 80+° day in my neck of the woods. Tomorrow even warmer.

Tonight was my standard Friday night dinner: my local butcher’s house-marinated steak tips, half a baked tater with TPSTOB&SC. And this time, broccoli instead of green beans or asparagus.

Wine. Welcome, New England Spring!

23 Likes

Hapoy spring!

1 Like

Mrs. P made the summer version of her famous pan seared boneless quail breast salad with arugula, watermelon, blueberries, honeydew, pineapple, strawberries, beautifully grilled fresh figs, mini peppers, sautéed red onions, kiwi, with a reduced balsamic syrup, and topped with fresh shaved parmigiano reggiano cheese. It went great with an excellent Oakville Napa Cabernet.

22 Likes

Matzoh ball soup, made more substantial by adding orzo and cabbage. Cannot kid myself it is still mostly winter here.

21 Likes