What's For Dinner #80 - the Silly Bunny with Eggs Edition - April 2022

I love learning new tricks… never thought to pipe the filling into shells. On my radar now @mariacarmen!

2 Likes

Late dinner, but an easy one to pull together since I had the forethought to pull out a thick slice of ham from the freezer this morning.

From the back of the Mueller’s elbow noodles box from way back in the 1970s is the recipe I know from memory: Baked Mac and Cheese.

The ham cubes were always added in by Mom, so I do as well. Only change I’ve made is jazzing up the breadcrumbs by using Panko mixed with a garlic powder-herb blend to which I add more dried parsley.

A quick nondescript salad alongside. Comfort food at its finest.

30 Likes

LOVELY to see you here, Audrey!!! :kissing_heart:

3 Likes

Tonight salad with Basa fillets, oven baked with butter and lemon pepper.
Boys had a side of fries for 1 last use of the peanut oil before it gets tossed.

18 Likes

omg, YU-UMMY!

1 Like

Chicken Piccata-ish again. Ditched the asparagus and loaded it with hot cherry peppers and garlic. Also incorporated crispy roasted potatoes to the pan (“Murphy” style) rather than keeping them on the side.

23 Likes

You’re creative!! Very colorful. I love anything piccata…

1 Like

Roasted pork tenderloin with chipotle pomegranate sauce. Mexi cauli rice with corn and baby bells, and red cabbage slaw.

19 Likes

Wagyu strip steak and garden asparagus on the grill. Salt-and-pepper potatoes on the side. Once again terrible lighting.

23 Likes

My frequent dry brined pork chops, this time with roasted asparagus.

Mine is a bit more…moist, with thinner asparagus spears.

See what I did there? “Ellipsis” and the word moist !

I usually get my pork chops when they are on sale or free shipping from

Or

Snake River Farms

So worth it to me. I hate lean pork chops.

23 Likes

Asparagus will be on the menu soon, but tonight, I had to use up some freshly ground chicken thigh and made a quick batch of bolognese with it. Finished with some pecorino romano at the table.

20 Likes

Carrot and Chickpea Korma from Simply Julia. a new recipe for us.
Yesterday my 16 y/o daughter complained that I make new recipes too often. Tonight, she took one taste of this and said “I love it, 5 stars, please make it again.” :woman_shrugging:

26 Likes

I love it when I ask my boys, “Is this a make again?” and they say “yes, please!”

7 Likes

Soba Noodles with oven roasted eggplant in a sauce made of oyster sauce, soy sauce, chili-garlic sauce, toasted sesame oil and some sugar.

16 Likes

Yum! Bo Luc Lac brings up so many memories — it was the “splurge” at the vietnamese place I loved during college years.

2 Likes

This time of year always means we have to start eating more fish, caught and frozen last season, in anticipation of the start of this year’s fishing season. I found some blue fish fillets hidden and decided to make them for dinner. While many people find blue fish too “fishy” we really enjoy it but then we also enjoy mackerel and sardines which have similar flavor profiles to blue fish. Baked with a mustard tarragon sauce and served with chopped vegetable slaw and spaghetti squash with pesto.

20 Likes

Um…yum!

1 Like

I suspect that my son doesn’t know it yet, but this is his chief complaint as well. I end up quesadilla-ing many meal components for him as a compromise if he doesn’t like the original presentation. :sweat_smile:

7 Likes

I substituted monk fruit/erythritol blend for the sugar in the marinade and it didn’t glaze up as nicely as it otherwise would have. And I used sirloin steak - something richer would have been good here. For me this was missing “something” but tasted really good with the rice. The marinade was lots of garlic, soy sauce, sugar, and Maggi, and I subbed Thai Golden Mountain sauce for a portion of those. You sprinkle with lime juice, salt, and pepper when eating. Some folks mentioned deglazing the pan with fish sauce, vinegar, etc., but I didn’t.

2 Likes

OK, WFD’ers - now I’m curious:

1 Like