What's For Dinner #80 - the Silly Bunny with Eggs Edition - April 2022

We had another appetizer night (a.k.a let’s tear through the fridge, freezer, and pantry looking for odds and ends to get rid of). Didn’t manage to get through even half of what my goal was-- BF brought a couple of snacks from the Thai restaurant on his way home from work and while they were delicious, they kind of filled us up.

No pics of the food since was not really concerned with presentation.

Drinks were a Bluecoat martini with an orange slice for me, a dirty Aviation gin martini for him, and mom joined us and had an Appletini (vodka-based)

20 Likes

After watching the latest episode of Top Chef Houston, which was finally barbecue related, we had a hankering for brisket. As I have no plans of getting to Texas anytime soon, and no clue how to smoke brisket, we did take out from one of the local joints. Chopped brisket with burnt ends, collard greens and ranch beans. All very tasty.

23 Likes

We finally had a chance to eat some of the batch of red braised pork short ribs I made earlier in the week (and then froze). I used some in udon noodle bowls with homemade chicken broth and bok choy.

25 Likes

I call those a “bits and bobs” meal. :grin:

4 Likes

Country style pork ribs seasoned with a pork rub, baked covered with foil at 300° for 2 hours, then uncovered and slathered with Dinosaur Garlic-Honey BBQ sauce augmented with a drizzle of Mike’s Hot Honey and baked for another 20-30 minutes.

Sides were roasted paprika Yukon Gold potatoes and roasted Brussels sprouts.

Wine. And I’d recommend never ever EVER buying Treana Chardonnay, which I tried to open tonight. I spent 20 minutes just trying to get the foil cap off the bottle. It couldn’t be cut with my bottle opener. I had to use a sharp knife to make small cuts to the cap, and then needle nose pliers to peel off the overly heavy duty foil cap in small pieces. Once I got that off, the plastic “cork” refused to let loose from the bottle.

It’s going back to the wine store with my receipt to get a refund, and the vineyard will be informed. Sorry dudes. Do NOT make me work so hard for a glass of wine! :grin: (Yes, I know, first world problems. But my money, my choice to bitch when I don’t get what I expected.)

22 Likes

That looks so good!

1 Like

OMG. I want that!

1 Like

17 Likes

If you look carefully the eyes follow you around the room.

12 Likes

I had a problem like that from grocery outlet. It was a cab . I was like ^&&&@$ … are you kidding me . Do I need to break out the sawszall . It was like 5 minutes to get that sheetmetal off .

1 Like

Salisbury steak… again…

21 Likes

Smoked trout salad. I’m getting into crisis territory, larder-wise, but then I remembered I had a smoked trout that Acme threw in my bag by mistake in December lurking in the back of the freezer behind the potatoes I’m not eating yet. Saved!

25 Likes

Dumplings…again…

25 Likes

Salisbury steak… again…

You know, I suspect my DH would love this. Is there a recipe you can share?

2 Likes

Quick Supper this evening cleaning out the fridge and decided to make a 7 layer dip with odds and ends from the fridge. Refried beans, shallot & chive Boursin, salsa, paste with cilantro white pepper and garlic (left over from sweet potato recipe), green onions, Gouda cheese. Tossed the avocado so only 6 layers, it hit the spot.

20 Likes

Parmesan-chicken meatball soup with orzo, spinach, lemon and dill. One of those recipes for which I’ve long forgotten the origin.

Spinach, dill, shallots and parsley from the garden.

20 Likes

I usually start here

5 Likes

Savory Morning Bun with Breakfast Sausage, Broccoli Rabe, Garlic and Fontina (would be too filling for breakfast for us but perfect for dinner). The yeast-based dough also includes spelt flour which gives it a nice nutty flavor (From the Grains for every Season book)

17 Likes

A very belated corned beef dinner. My neighbor smokes the meat & I provide the veggies & soda bread (Stella Parks; I like another one tat I usually use better so back to that one next time.) Great food & camaraderie, life doesn’t get much better.

26 Likes

Wow. I’d be really pissed off, too!

1 Like