What's For Dinner #80 - the Silly Bunny with Eggs Edition - April 2022

A joint-effort tonight. Anthony Bourdain’s Macau pork sandwich on a homemade Portuguese roll. Cabbage slaw with a carrot-ginger dressing on the side.

The sandwich was good, but not great. At least, not this go-around. The overall texture was very nice – lots of crunch on a soft bun. The chops came out tender and juicy (despite the dark coating). After a 6 hour soak, however, the marinade just didn’t come through much. While sufficiently seasoned, if we were to make it again, we’d go the full 12 hours on the marinade (and watch the oil temp a little more closely - ooof!)

17 Likes

Lovely day today so I fired up the grill. Pork tenderloin kabobs, rice and salad. Lots of veg to counteract the carby rice. Kabobs had onions and baby bells, rice had shallot, carrots, peas and asparagus, salad of romaine, mixed greens, cherry tomatoes, radish, red onion, snap peas with ranch dressing.

Blood orange polamas and Scotch Broom from the yard.

19 Likes

Came home to this dinner - BF has been working on some kind of beanie-weenie clear-out-the-fridge stoup he’s been adding to all week. Since he decided to add shrimp (called it Dumbo - dumb gumbo), and was at the fish monger’s, he got me a little starter of oysters. Nice! Stoup was actually quite tasty. With Frank’s Redhot.

22 Likes

i remember making that same Macau pork before and not being particularly thrilled either.

3 Likes

You cheat at life! Was gasping in admiration of the dinner, especially that guacamole. Then I saw the lovely flowers. Wow. And then and then adorable pets. #faints

2 Likes

Coq au vin again, last of a batch in the freezer. On top of mashed potatoes and with an arugula salad.

And a Last Word. Cheers! :cocktail:

22 Likes

Looks great as always. Love the look of that thin crust. Nice to see the deck back in action too!

1 Like

Thanks @Metsfan86 ! You should try that Stonefire pizza crust. It’s nice and thin and stays crispy unlike some other thin crusts that get soggy. We missed dining out on the deck. It will probably be another couple of months until Mrs. P works her magic and arranges the plants and trees, and everything starts blooming.
We had a wild week. They are replacing all of the roofs in our townhome community and did ours this week. Roofing and nails were flying off and landing on our deck and trees up front (not to mention the constant banging). They also had to replace some siding, and we are still waiting for them to replace the gutters they ripped out.

2 Likes

Thank you :blush: That is very kind of you.

Yeah that sounds very unrelaxing

Where do they sell that crust? We’ve been making our own pizzas with Trader Joe’s crust which we roll out and comes out pretty nicely

1 Like

Mrs P as impressive as ever,! Please extend my regards! We might have to arrange the first ever Canine Ho-down/play date. My daughter got a Frenchie, say hello to Rooney!

16 Likes

Hi Rooney!

1 Like

I would love to know the brand name so I can look for it here locally. Love making my own pizza and always looking for a really good crust I can buy. TIA

To update - circumstances were not so dire this morning that it required a “hangover breakfast”. The remaining steaks are waiting patiently in a soy and wine marinade for Sunday supper at this point. I think that is a win-win for all concerned!

11 Likes

Thanks for the reporting! I will keep that marination time in mind for when I eventually make this.

1 Like

Oh, that all looks so good!

1 Like

What a cutie! Hello, Rooney!

1 Like

Had some leftover potato chips from lunch so made Jose Andres’ potato chip tortilla. Topped with a mayo mixed with a touch of vinegar from pickled piparra peppers and pimenton de la Vera.

28 Likes

@Metsfan86 and @Wtg2Retire we used to get the Stonefire crust at Fairway, but they are out of business. They used to have the big crust. Kings supermarket sells them sometimes as well. Now, all we can find are the individual crusts at Shoprite. I wish they sold them online. I guess if you go online and put in your state they might tell you where it is sold locally to you.

6 Likes

Hi Rooney! I’m sure that Bulgari would love to have a woof down with Rooney :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes