What's For Dinner #80 - the Silly Bunny with Eggs Edition - April 2022

Cooked for the first time since Sunday! Made moules for dinner at my sister’s, with fennel, shallots, garlic, leeks, butter, wine, heavy cream, and arugula thrown it at the end. toasted Italian baguette with pimenton aioli for sopping. Cheap TJs bubbly with. We are quite surfeit.

28 Likes

I’ll bet your two pups excel at convincing people to provide treats. Can’t resist those sparkly eyes. :star_struck:

2 Likes

They can be quite persuasive!

2 Likes

This is amazing, Greg! The Roasted Sirloin of Beef Forestiere looks superb!

5 Likes

Absolutely gorgeous meal and timely reminder that there is always a human element to consider.

3 Likes

Very well said!

Have you watched the Youtube series ‘Tasting History’ by Max Miller? He had a couple of recent Titanic dinner episodes: one for first class and one for third class passengers. Also very interesting.

Your plating and presentation were very evocative.

7 Likes

6 years with a tri. Never a dull moment, that’s for sure!

I truthfully do not have an answer for you outside of that is what Peter Lugers calls their potatoes which I was mimicking.

2 Likes

I can’t tell you how many people in the last few days have asked me that, and no, I have not yet. I was at the point where I was going to hit information overload and did not want to look at anything new just yet. But I will!

3 Likes

What a wonderful meal and a labor of love! Bravo!

4 Likes

That was interesting, thanks.

1 Like

Had a dinner I enjoyed last night. AF flounder with orange pepper and topped with orange marmalade, AF roasted onions and peppers (let them roast a bit too long), IP brussels sprouts, IP brown rice and a toaster oven baked roll.

18 Likes

Easter with the family, I was in charge of; leg of lamb - broccoli rabe and Italian green beans and sausage - Italian egg rolls.

They don’t roll themselves

Leg of lamb marinated two days in garlic, shallot, rosemary, white wine and lemon juice.

Broccoli rabe and green beans with sausage

The best of the rest:

30 Likes

Yum! :rabbit:

3 Likes

I made my first Coca Cola ham. I kept it simple, just Coke and brown sugar.

The ham is a small Black Forest style ham from a place called Schinkel’s Legacy in Chatham, ON.

Served with scalloped potatoes, pineapple casserole and salad. Japanese cheesecake with blackcurrant jam for dessert.

https://sofabfood.com/scalloped-pineapple-casserole-recipe/

Pineapple casserole. I used a Montreal sesame bagel and focaccia :rofl:. This was addictive.

26 Likes

That’s a feast! All looks very good.

2 Likes

It all looks great! Did you like the Coca Cola ham? If you have any drippings it will be excellent, along with the bone (if any) in black bean soup. I haven’t made Coke ham, but have made a Dr Pepper version, which was excellent, and always make soup after we have it. I’ll have to try the CC version for a change. Happy Easter! And just think, another one next week -Greek/ Eastern Orthodox! :rabbit::carrot:

4 Likes

Boneless leg of lamb schmeared with minced garlic and fresh rosemary, s/p, and olive oil and roasted to medium rare on the outside pieces.

Mashed creamy sour cream and chive potatoes with a butter wading pool, asparagus, and Mrs. Miller’s mint jelly alongside.

Wine.

And Lemon Posset for dessert.

Lots of rare roasted lamb into the freezer for use in shepherd’s pie or lamb-barley-veg soup.

28 Likes

Easter dinner - Slow Roasted Salmon with Fennel, Citrus, and Chiles over a warm salad of Puy lentils and roasted asparagus in a mustard vinaigrette. Heeding my notes from the last time I made the salmon, I roasted the fennel, lemon, and chiles in the olive oil at 400F for about 15 minutes and then let them steep in the olive oil while the oven cooled back down. Then I cooked at 225F instead of the 275F called for and only went 25 minutes instead of the 30-40 called for. This worked perfectly for my sockeye salmon.

28 Likes

Looks absolutely fabulous LW!

2 Likes