What are you baking? November 2023

My pastry disc is 100x too cold to roll out and I need to help it warm up. I’m afraid to gently heat it in the oven or microwave, but I need to speed it along. Anyone got a secret technique?

1 Like

Beat it with your rolling pin???

3 Likes

it finally warmed up. jeez.

2 Likes

I think you’ll have to keep it out longer, but not too long. Good luck!

Pineapple Casserole (or salad!)

:hushed:

My newest assignment! Anyone tried this? I’m looking at you @Phoenikia !

ETA; Nope! Only the pineapple in common. Apparently a family favorite, here in Conyers, Georgia.

6 Likes

Looks good but I haven’t tried it! I did make one pineapple casserole/ bread pudding with some sesame bagels which we liked LOL.

Let me know how it goes!!

I miss @meatn3 What's for Dinner #16 - 12/2016 - the (sometimes) Crazy Holiday Yule Edition - #254 by meatn3

@shrinkrap, the Paula Deen / Southern concoction is very non-Canadian, so I posted the recipe on FB for the comments and some giggles.

2 Likes

Adding that linked recipe to my pineapple casserole stack. Never (yet) made but relatives raved about one served in Alabama when they vacationed there several years ago.

3 Likes

I couldn’t find any “Brown & Serve” rolls (for Thanksgiving) at the grocery store (out of stock). I remembered seeing a “Glen and Friends Cooking” (youtube) episode about his Grandmother’s rolls, so I made some up. His were a lot prettier than mine, though.

Here is the video… YUMMY!!

11 Likes

Botlikh pie

10 Likes

Tell more!

2 Likes

Pear , apple , cranberry galette with some chopped walnuts, too. Sour cream pastry crust brushed with egg and Demerara sugar. We had a larger one at Thanksgiving that was pretty much demolished, so a repeat was a necessity!

13 Likes

It’s a pie from the region of Dagestan and the dough is made with yogurt and baking soda, so it’s really easy to work with and is more cakey than a pie dough. These doughs typically get better a day later as they soften into a more a cakey texture since the first day they’re a bit more crunchy. Three layers of dough, one layer of rehydrated dried apricots, and one layer of ground walnuts mixed with sugar, plus some more of that sprinkled on the top layer. It’s not too sweet and very nice with coffee or tea. I’ve always loved baked goods with dried apricot filling in them. It’s similar to jam, but less sweet and more bright.

8 Likes

Gorgeous!
How do you put on the demerara without it falling around?

1 Like

I very carefully brushed with the egg, making sure none got on the cooking surface to prevent a difficult removal. I then took small pinches if the sugar and it stuck very nicely to the egg wash. It was whole egg left over from something else. The crust was delicious and flaky, 150 g. Pastry flour, 113g. butter, 90g. Sour cream, pinch salt and sugar. This made enough for two galettes.
!)

7 Likes

Fascinating! I will try this!

1 Like

I recommend the sugar amounts used here:

For the dough I used
340 g flour
6 g salt
150 g Greek yogurt
30 g sugar
75 g butter
3/4 tsp baking soda
40 g egg (the rest I used to egg wash the top)

And I used a pan with a 24-cm bottom diameter

2 Likes

Cookie baking started yesterday with Cashew Lemon Shortbread cookies - a 2004 finalist for the local newspaper’s cookie contest. Quick video with recipe is here. Lemon extract may be used in place of the fresh lemon & zest in the dough but my friend who passed along the recipe says the zest garnish on top is mandatory at her house.

And continued today with the most time-consuming one on this year's list - [Chocolate Covered Cherry cookies](https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/9979/chocolate-covered-cherry-cookies-ii/). A double batch takes 3 hours start to finish and it's 1.5 hours of work before the first pan goes in the oven. Each subsequent set of 2 dozen takes 20 minutes to shape, fill and frost (yes, these get frosted before baking). The key to success with these is to make sure the frosting fully seals the cherry to the cookie before baking, so nothing leaks - the photo currently posted with the recipe showing a drizzle of chocolate isn't right. My friend taught me to hold the pan at eye level and look closely at every side for any hint of red (unfrosted cherry) before putting it in the oven.

13 Likes

My first loaf made with sourdough discard. Not sure what it’s like yet.

18 Likes

How have your regular sourdoughs been going?

Cranberry Crackle Tart and challah chestnut stuffing

Add images here

9 Likes