What's For Dinner #80 - the Silly Bunny with Eggs Edition - April 2022

Asparagus goat cheese tart from the farm - delicious, quite lemony and decadent - with salad that had a ton of (apparently invisible) watercress. Very springlike and satisfying.

26 Likes

For a millisecond, I thought you were a Pavement fan. But, I still love you! :kissing_heart:

We liked it!
We have lots of leftovers. I’m going to reduce and thicken the sauce tomorrow.

Yep, decided to do ham since next Sunday we will have lamb, and I’ll make those My Greek Dish tsoureki muffins again.

Maybe I’ll make lamb kleftiko, since we do regular roast lamb year-round.

3 Likes

Thanks for the mention of the muffins; I’d saved the recipe, but forgot about them. We’re having the DD’s & SIL + DD1’s BF I’ve never met due to the pandemic, for Greek Easter & think the muffins would be well received. Haven’t decided rest of menu just yet. Looking forward to seeing and hearing about your Greek Easter feast too!

1 Like

Casual Easter meal with Mom and my brother. SIL is soaking up the sun in Florida, so I was free to make one of my favorite proteins, which she does not eat: salmon.

I am obsessed with Alaskan salmon specifically.

I made a Cook’s Illustrated recipe that calls for briefly broiling, then finishing in a low oven, a whole side of salmon which has been salted/rested for several hours first, then brushed with honey. I have a special stash of uber-local honey I bought last summer that I broke out for this application.

To eat with the salmon, I made a family favorite: sliced and liberally buttered potatoes in a foil packet on the grill.

As a first course, I made a mashup of several asparagus/burrata/prosciutto recipes I saw online (including this one). Basically, I made a bed of tender homegrown lettuce (first harvest of the year!!), dressed with olive oil, sea salt and lemon. Atop that, I then laid some blanched/shocked asparagus spears. I made some rosettes of prosciutto, and nestled a ball of burrata in each one. Those went on top of the asparagus, along with some homemade buttery bread crumbs, some toasted chopped pistachios (standing in for pine nuts), and another squeeze of lemon. It was great! The play of flavors and textures was awesome.

For dessert, this Martha Stewart daffodil cake, which I reported on over in the baking discussion.

20 Likes

Wild Fork ham, sliced, heated via sous vide, and glazed under the broiler with pepper jelly that just wouldn’t set up right. And store bought potato salad.

24 Likes

I had to google, Spiral Stairs?

1 Like

My Easter dinner was springy stuff, even though it feels more like winter. Drunken Jerk chicken wings, asparagus potato salad with hot bacon dressing and a deviled egg that had spent the night in pickled beet juice. Cocktail was tequila, Fiero with a splash of tonic and orange peel.

26 Likes

Had planned to have penne with spinach, tomatoes and sausage tonight, but the Italian sausage lost itself in the freezer.

Instead, cavatappi with shallots, spinach and bacon. All’s well that ends well.

Spinach and shallots from the garden.

25 Likes

Reverse seared rack of lamb, potato-caramelized onion-gruyere gratin and sauteed green beans in lemon-browned butter and toasted almonds. The lamb was fabulously tender but a bit too rare - I like the inside of the “eye” to be very rare but I prefer the exterior and fat a little more cooked. I pulled it from the low oven when the interior temp was 105 and I probably should have either waited until 110 or given it a bit more searing time on the stovetop (or both). Still good, though - and this way I can still grill the leftovers to reheat and not end up with overcooked lamb!

19 Likes

Beautiful plate, and I like the flower garnish! I’m sure it ate well too.

2 Likes

We enjoyed another sensational dinner at the Circle Restaurant in Newton, NJ including the first soft shell crab of the season (crispy tempura battered with lemongrass aioli). Woohoo! We also enjoyed rigatoni with English pea and arugula pesto; lamb chops with couscous, spring onion, shoestring potato, and sriracha; roasted asparagus soup with stracciatella and pistachio, and a charred shallot vinaigrette. It all went great with an excellent Shiraz and red blend.

13 Likes

Dinner tonight was a Lac Brome duck leg, sweet potato and Brussels sprouts. Happy Easter everyone!

26 Likes

“I love you more today than yesterday, but not as much as tomorrow” - Spiral Staircase

@BeefeaterRocks

I love that song. Having its moment in a Delta commercial in the US.

https://youtu.be/ejClFtPqchw

6 Likes

Especially love the butter wading pool

2 Likes

Mmmmmm

The Chicago version was playing on my car radio when I arrived home Thursday afternoon. It has been with me everyday since. Worst earworm I have ever had. If I’ve caused anyone else to become afflicted, I apologize.

3 Likes

14 Likes

BF worked all day yesterday and Easter hasn’t been a big deal in years since I was usually working. So after my Titanic cooking adventure Saturday, I was more than happy to order Chinese takeout.

But we did have mom’s Pizza Rustica (Easter Pie) for lunch.

31 Likes

Do you have a recipe for the pineapple casserole? I’ve never made one, but want to. Your meal looks delicious.

1 Like