What's For Dinner #80 - the Silly Bunny with Eggs Edition - April 2022

I love albondigas, I should make it more often, and those onon rings are ethereal .

4 Likes

Potato and onion frittata. “Well done”. :roll_eyes:

22 Likes

Beautiful

1 Like

No fries ? Lomo saltado tends to have fries (and rice)

3 Likes

Fried rice with chorizo, baby kale, napa cabbage, spinach, soy- and fish sauce and some eggs (which made the rice quite wet but it still tasted good)

15 Likes

Mmmmmm. Looks tasty

1 Like

8 Likes

Decided to take full advantage of our 1 day this far of Spring here in NJ and fire up the grill. Can’t wait to get the outdoor kitchen up and running for the spring/summer season.

Chicken kabobs - side brown rice. Cigar for the chef!

20 Likes

It really depends on cut used and technique. Frankly a lot of home cooks fail on both, having tasted tough Peruvian home cooked versions and some excellent restaurant versions. Same rules as any good beef stir fry apply with lomo saltado in terms of quick cooking and high heat, cooking in batches if necessary, etc. However, because the pieces of beef are larger than a typical stir-fry, you don’t get quite the same tenderness as you might from thinner pieces, which is why tenderloin is particularly good for this dish.
I looked at the Milk Street version and while you can use other cuts I do think tenderloin is better. I also highly disagree with making it either or when it comes to rice and French fries. It’s so much better with both. I get a lot of people aren’t used to carb on carb, but potatoes in a meat dish with rice is a pretty fantastic combo.

8 Likes

Those. Look. PHENOMENAL!!! :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Yes I’ve made it before and I used filet mignon just to avoid the toughness. I’ve had it in finer restaurants and mom-and-pop places, and it’s always been tough. I’ve been eating that dish since I was a kid (Bolivian here), but my family never made it at home. But yes, very used to the double-carb serving at meals!

4 Likes

Mixed Italian Grill — Chicken, Baby Sweet Peppers, Eggplant, Bread.

I used to have a coworker who would drive us to Il Pollaio (https://www.yelp.com/biz/il-pollaio-san-francisco) for lunch sometimes so decided to make it at home (with better bread).

23 Likes

Tonight’s dinner was an open faced sandwich topped with carmelized onions, mushrooms and Italian fontana. Tomato salad on the side.

11 Likes

That looks phenomenal! Kudos!

Tonight’s dinner was made and enjoyed on the deck! Boneless pork chops with corn on the cob and side pasta with my leftover osso bucco sauce. (It’s obviously early for corn on the cob so I had to buy prepackaged Florida(?) corn. 4 ears for $5…….is that inflation or is there something up with corn?)

19 Likes

How was the corn?

That’s the worst part it was meh…….

2 Likes

Looks delicious. Sorry about the meh corn. Here in Penna corn gets good around the third week in July. Are you Junior from the wfd group? If so glad to read your posts again.

Just cooking for myself tonight while BF is meeting friends for drinks. Needed some quick comfort food, so I made a large batch of String Bean and Chicken Stir Fry from The Woks of Life. Had it over brown rice, with enough leftovers to sort me out for lunch for the rest of the week. One small change - subbed oyster sauce for the dark soy (personal preference).

21 Likes

Slurp!