What's For Dinner #80 - the Silly Bunny with Eggs Edition - April 2022

Yum! Bo Luc Lac brings up so many memories — it was the “splurge” at the vietnamese place I loved during college years.

2 Likes

This time of year always means we have to start eating more fish, caught and frozen last season, in anticipation of the start of this year’s fishing season. I found some blue fish fillets hidden and decided to make them for dinner. While many people find blue fish too “fishy” we really enjoy it but then we also enjoy mackerel and sardines which have similar flavor profiles to blue fish. Baked with a mustard tarragon sauce and served with chopped vegetable slaw and spaghetti squash with pesto.

20 Likes

Um…yum!

1 Like

I suspect that my son doesn’t know it yet, but this is his chief complaint as well. I end up quesadilla-ing many meal components for him as a compromise if he doesn’t like the original presentation. :sweat_smile:

7 Likes

I substituted monk fruit/erythritol blend for the sugar in the marinade and it didn’t glaze up as nicely as it otherwise would have. And I used sirloin steak - something richer would have been good here. For me this was missing “something” but tasted really good with the rice. The marinade was lots of garlic, soy sauce, sugar, and Maggi, and I subbed Thai Golden Mountain sauce for a portion of those. You sprinkle with lime juice, salt, and pepper when eating. Some folks mentioned deglazing the pan with fish sauce, vinegar, etc., but I didn’t.

2 Likes

OK, WFD’ers - now I’m curious:

1 Like

Have you tried the cookbook
Deceptively Delicious by Jessica Seinfeld?

Prior to her book, I use to add cauliflower to potatoes and hide food that way.
She’s set up a system of precooking, freezing to add pureed food (to hide ingredients) as needed.

Family favorite: baked smoked-turkey chimichangas. Based on a Rachael Ray recipe with so many changes I just call it “my way” now. My version recipe is posted in a reply below, for future references.

17 Likes

I started from a Rachael Ray recipe for Toaster Oven Smoked Turkey Chimichangas, and simplified

My version:

9 oz. package of thin-sliced smoked turkey lunch meat, chopped
Half-package of bagged cabbage/carrots coleslaw mix or angelhair coleslaw - 3 - 4 C.
2 C. shredded cheese

(visually this is about equal parts of the 3 ingredients)

toss with

1 tsp. cumin
1 T. chili powder

stir in

1 C. of our favorite salsa
2 T. chopped onion (optional)

8 - 8-inch flour tortillas

olive oil, as needed, about 3 T. total

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly grease a sheet pan.

Put about 1 T. olive oil on a plate large enough to hold the tortillas. Briefly dip both sides of each tortilla in oil to lightly coat - I often dip one, then shuffle the stack to use it to coat others.

Place a tortilla on the greased sheet pan, put a heaping handful of mixture down the center-third, tuck in short ends, then wrap/roll the long edges to form a burrito. Position seam-side down. Repeat. Lightly salt the tops of each burrito before placing the sheet pan in the oven. Bake about 20 minutes until browned. Use the baking time to prep optional condiments or sides of your choice:

Chopped tomatoes, Sour cream, Sliced avocado / guacamole, Additional salsa. Heated canned black beans or refried beans, Rice, Corn tortilla chips

7 Likes

I’m more concerned with increasing the variety and acceptance of foods in his diet than sneaking in vegetables. Typically I will add shredded zucchini to mac and cheese, meatballs, quesadillas, and pizza. It’s bland enough that he doesn’t mind. I’ll toss peas into pasta and sometimes they get eaten, sometimes they don’t. Finely chopped carrot, celery, and onion make their way into spoonfuls of soup and sauces. Sometimes I’ll mention the veggies that I’ve included to help normalize their consumption. Melted cheese, heavy cream, sweet salad dressing, or sweet soy sauce and butter help with acceptance. Kids love sugar - or at least this one does. He was dipping cucumber in sweet soy sauce last week :laughing::woman_shrugging:t2:

5 Likes

When my son was diagnosed with dysphagia (diffculty swallowing, which he has pretty much grow out of) the Diatician suggested to place the food on the table and not offer him any.
The familiarity of seeing the food eventually hopefully he would be enticed to try it.
He now eats pretty much everything except for soup. Fruits only apples, pineapple and watermelon (we are still working on increasing fruits).
It was fun to see him reach over and grab something new.
Memories that I cherrish until today.

7 Likes

Lettuce wraps with gochujang chicken and Korean pancake with king oyster mushrooms + onion greens.

Beef cheek ravioli with Hmong broccoli puree and (store bought) Sicilian red pesto. I couldn’t get the flavor of the puree bright enough and eventually overdid it with red wine vinegar, so P2 and I declared it a work in progress. Need to make the ravioli dough thinner next time – I always forget how much pasta dough grows when it cooks.

26 Likes

We do you want to hide food ?

So that my son wouldn’t look at it and say “ I’m not eating that”.
It was a way to ensure that he was getting enough vitamins and minerals in his body due to the dysphagia ( difficulty swallowing).

Missing Mexico, made some Baja shrimp tacos.

Classic Baja-style I grew up eating on the beach in San Felipe.

30 Likes

Would you consider sharing the recipe?

1 Like

I like the raw onion salad that gets mixed in at the end too — though I prefer arugula at home to the traditional bed of watercress.

(I may be weird but I don’t love maggi)

2 Likes

Great thread idea!

Those look delicious!

1 Like

It can quickly get overpowering!

1 Like