What's for Dinner #8 - 4/2016. The April Flowers Edition

Chicken piccata, sauteed mushrooms and Costco’s kale etc salad. Yum.

2 Likes

The leftover stuffed eggplant was lunch today.

For dinner I polished off the marinated carrots as an app and then made a big salad that included the remaining few little potatoes, olives, and i added in some chickpeas. Used the rest of the mojo sauce from the potatoes as salad dressing.

BF did not need any arm-twisting re pork two nights in a row, and made tacos with my carnitas, with a little jack cheese and crema, chopped cilantro & onions, a quick-pickled slaw, home-fried tortilla chips, and a nice hot green salsa with leftover garlic scapes and jalapenos. totally hit the spot.

9 Likes

Upcoming - and combining two British classics - macaroni cauliflower cheese.

1 Like

Come to me, piggy.

1 Like

I like the simpleness of his recipes. They are pretty easy to throw together on a weeknight, and with very few processed ingredients. His grilled pork chops with thyme, lemon, and pesto have been a staple in our house for years. I also like the Indian Carrot Salad with Lamb for a light summer dinner (although I usually make it with ground turkey or chicken).

1 Like

CSF Fish: Monkfish from the F/V Captain Joe.
~ Monkfish in Pimentón Sauce with Steamed Potatoes: monkfish; bread; garlic; pimentón; oregano; S & P; fish broth; sherry vinegar - Vinagre de Jerez, Gutierrez Colosia; chopped.parsley over top each serving.

This is a Spanish recipe we enjoy and have prepared it several times. Although boiled potatoes are usually served with the monkfish a good crusty bread is can be used instead to get all the luscious sauce created by the breadcrumbs, garlic, pimentón, S & P, and fish broth.
~Steamed green beans.

5 Likes

Flammkuchen

Eaten with a tomato salad (not pictured).

8 Likes

You say; “Flammkuchen”, I say; “Hey look a fancy pizza”, either way it looks delicious! Enjoy!

4 Likes

It’s a kind of flat bread, doesn’t even have a name in English. Not sure though. Very easy to make in any case.

In Alsace it costs about eur.13 to eat it in a restaurant. In southern Germany only eur.9. In Germany I usually eat this in a brewery pub (not necessarily a brewpub, however).

1 Like

Is it a German or French dish? Or a cross-border thing.

I know sufficient of the “spoils of war” to know that if it’s actually an Alsatian dish, then it’s cross-border (bearing in mind the shifting border)

I’ve only had it a couple of times. Once in northern France. The other at the Christmas market in Manchester when it is sold at an extortionate price.

It’s a geographically and historically sensitive topic. Apparently, they both claim it’s theirs. Strictly geographically speaking, it could be German.

I see that it’s made with bread dough. It sounds like a fun thing to make.

Tax Day . Baloney sandwich and beer .

1 Like

There’s a great Alsace restaurant near us that serves this pretty much exclusively. Tried to go there Saturday night, but they were closed for a party, Looking at the pictures above, we must try again soon!

Trader Joe’s frozen Tarte d’Alsace, a customer favorite, is flammekuechen. Almost as good as the ones I enjoyed at the since-closed Sandrine’s in Harvard Square, a bistro with an Alsatian chef, Raymond Ost.

4 Likes

Somehow between cooking and eating I keep forget picture taking! {stoopid stoopid stoopid}

Anywho parmesean crusted baked chicken breasts with a side of sautéed spinach and left over linguini in creamy scampi sauce from last night.

3 Likes

Oh lord, I know what you mean :frowning: We got a REAL surprise this year. Who can afford beer?

A simple dinner after getting home late. B/S Frankenchicken breast seasoned with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and Herbes de Provence. Pan-seared and then poured 1/4 cup of white wine, 1/4 cup of chicken stock, and 1 Tbsp. of lemon juice over top. Covered the pan and simmered until done. Sides were steamed green beans, and leftover Israeli couscous. Wine.

The good thing about getting home close to 7:15 p.m. is that it’s still light out. That’s the ONLY good thing.

4 Likes

So I found out I had a tax ID theft from some scum bag in 2011 . :rage: After receiving a letter from the state 5 days ago saying I owe them $ 3,000. 00 from 2011