What's For Dinner #79 - the Carly Simon "An-ti-ci-pay-yay-shun" Edition - March 2022

Marinated a single turkey tenderloin in a combo of apple cider vinegar, Dijon mustard, brown sugar, minced garlic, dried thyme and cracked rosemary, s/p and olive oil.

Into a baking dish and roasted in the oven at 400° for about 40 minutes with a few hefty spoonfuls of the marinade and a sploosh of wine until the internal temp was at about 160°. Pulled and let it sit for 5 minutes. Added a Tbsp of butter to the liquid left in the pan for a quick pan sauce.

Sides were leftover rice pilaf and newly roasted Brussels sprouts in duck fat, s/p, and dried savory.

Wine.

16 Likes

The third appearance of the Peruvian chicken and aji verde. Roasted baby potatoes, baby bells, onion and garlic. Salad of mixed greens, tomato, avocado and onion with ranch dressing. There was wine.

14 Likes

Our friend prepared another fabulous dinner for us including an outstanding lamb Wellington wrapped in spinach and mushroom duxelles; excellent mushroom pizza topped with ranch dressing; beautiful asparagus salad with a perfect jammy air fried egg; some excellent desserts including a brioche bread pudding; and some fabulous wines, among other things not pictured.

19 Likes

Last night’s flatbread creation was a masterpiece: BF made a white sauce and then we layered it with mozzarella, grated Parmesan, caramelized onion, and prosciutto.

There were martinis!

26 Likes

Open slider window door.
Because?
64° today.
:sunny::sunny::sunny:
Sauteed mushrooms.
Sauteed spinach.
Sauteed red bell peppers.
Previously caramelized onions.
Tomato sauce mixed with tomato paste, dried oregano and basil.
Grated mozzarella.
Shredded Parm-Reg.
Half a ball of store-bought pizza dough.
10 minutes in a well-preheated 450° oven on parchment paper slid on to a pizza stone.

What’s that spell, boys and girls?
A damn fine pizza, that’s what.

P.S. the open slider window had nothing to do with the pizza. I just had to crow about the warm weather and melting of the snow!

Wine.

22 Likes

I ate my kiddo’s mozzarella panini out at a brewery (he wasn’t into it), so dinner was just this broccoli spoon salad with dates, pistachios, and warm dressing.

17 Likes

Salvadoran / Mexican takeout tonight . Chicken Fajitas, Chicken Tostadas and Gallo Pinto with Maduros Fritos

16 Likes

Salisbury Steak… again! Apparently I make this more than I realized!

The one with the toothpick is a little more…tender.

I found this about using panko bread crumbs for panade interesting.

19 Likes

oooh this makes ME Ms. Happy!

1 Like

it looks so juicy!

1 Like

We had a 4 hour power outage Friday so the BF’s meal that he’d started prepping got moved to today (we went out Fri. and i was at my sister’s Sat.) - a beef stew with mushrooms and roasted cherry tomatoes over polenta, which assuredly benefited from the 2-day sit in the fridge, and his go-to parm regg sauteed zucchini.

18 Likes

Oh my, an enmolada. Beef enchilada bathed in mole negro, avocado, cotija cheese and cilantro. Mexican rice, slaw with radish, onion, cilantro and oo & lime dressing. It was so good, thanks to @mariacarmen for the inspiration.

16 Likes

A return to our weekly Indian feast: Chicken Tikka Masala and Bhel Puri done the traditional way with potatoes and three different chutneys mixed in (its a long story- do yourself a favor and read the Bhel Puri thread here on HO).

I treated my chicken differently tonight. Usually I do a dry-rub “marinade” with various spices. This time, however, I rubbed the chicken with Patak’s curry paste (picked that up today), canola oil, and lime juice. What a difference! The flavor was popping, and even though it was only the juice of half a lime, it really shone through and complimented the creaminess of the simmer sauce I added well.

Originally I told myself no naan. That there were enough carbs. The BF and I have been going hard at the gym and while not dieting, have practiced portion control. Have lost some weight and have personally inspired myself, but after two gin and tonics, thy will was weak. There was naan after all.

As for the gin, it was a new one called Greenhall’s. Supposedly produced by the oldest gin distiller in London, so only new to me, not the world. Used it in a martini last night and it was good but not standout. However, in a G & T, the tonic really brought out a superb flavor. Gotta try it @BeefeaterRocks and @mariacarmen.

17 Likes

We went out last night, so half my dinner was leftovers, specifically this beet burger from Korzo in Brooklyn. I have had some terrible beet burgers in my day (i.e., all of them), but this one offered redemption. It’s got black-eyed peas, avocado, stinging nettles, pickles, and smoked gouda. It’s also deep fried in its bun. Accompanied by cabbage pretending to be noodles, prepared with oyster sauce, fish sauce, soy sauce & parm (from a NYT recipe that was just okay).

IMG_1561

But I have other chances to redeem this cabbage. There’s more where that came from, as you can see.

IMG_1560

13 Likes

Sandwich of mayo, mustard, havarti cheese, various cured meats, arugula, red onion, and tomato on ciabatta.

18 Likes

That looks like one fine sandwich - yum!

4 Likes

The chances if me finding it in my little corner of the world are zero, zilch, zip, nada!

1 Like

Indian inspired lamb stew with lacinato kale (half of it braised with the meat, the other briefly sautéed and added at the end). Sauce included turmeric, cumin, ginger, garlic, coriander and cinnamon and was finished with yoghurt and a little bit of lemon juice. Served with some freshly made whole wheat chapati

12 Likes

We enjoyed a fabulous dinner at The Poached Pear in Point Pleasant Beach, NJ, including an excellent mushroom appetizer with a flaky phyllo dough crust; octopus and shrimp salad; the always awesome asparagus fries; apple cider brined pork chop; parmesan and toasted almond crusted halibut with basil pesto mashed potatoes. It all went great with an excellent Syrah and Gigondas.

13 Likes

A local pizza place does a delicious potato pizza. The other ingredients are fennel scented sausage crumbles, caramelized onion, gorgonzola crumbles, rosemary, and a balsamic reduction drizzle.

4 Likes