What's For Dinner #79 - the Carly Simon "An-ti-ci-pay-yay-shun" Edition - March 2022

Chicken thigh souvlaki and a leafy salad with dill, parsley and sour cream/vinegar dressing.

13 Likes

Raghavan Iyer’s Roasted Cashew Chicken with Fenugreek Sauce (Kaaju Methi Murghi) from 660 Curries, inspired by a trip down memory lane to my favorite Chowhound COTM. I didn’t care about most of my content there, but I wrote extensive posts on a lot of the recipes in that book and all of the notes didn’t make it into my hard copy of the book, so I did a quick copy and paste to save them. This particular recipe was one of my favorites and it was as good as ever tonight, even though I subbed almonds for the cashews and made a bunch of other little changes. One new note - be careful with the cinnamon. I doubled the sauce recipe but used the single 3" cinnamon stick called for, and it was still overpoweringly cinnamony (to be fair, it was the really good, potent cinnamon from Penzey’s rather than grocery store sticks). Served with garam masala-roasted cauliflower.

25 Likes

Broccoli / tofu stir fry with spicy peanut sauce over rice noodles. I tried the method of cubing the tofu, then freezing it, then defrosting before cooking and it really did help it absorb lots of peanut sauce flavor!

14 Likes

Dinner tonight y’all is BBQ shrimp and cheesy cauli grits with Cajun coleslaw. Since I had to open a beer I drank the rest.

25 Likes

Same ingredients, different dish. I had planned on making shrimp fried rice tonight, but instead opted for stir-fried eggs with velvet shrimp from Grace Young’s Stir-Frying To The Sky’s Edge. Steamed rice and roasted broccolini on the side.

Anything green on the plate came from the garden.

29 Likes

And does your Mom turn the handles? Iv had great fun learning to some large work by Turin g handles then making the spatula part on a sander.

BF roasted a little pork shoulder i had in the freezer, rubbed it with a bit of cumin, s&p, and some bourbon-smoked sugar. Along with, roasted carrots/fennels/onions, and his buttery mashed potatoes. The butter lake had not fully developed by the time I took the pics, but it was buttery heaven, don’t you worry. I loved the capers in there. He wasn’t all that happy with his meal but I thought it was all tasty - loved the pork, and the leftovers will make fine tacos later this week.

26 Likes

I’d bought this pack of thin sliced steak at Costco a few days ago. Tacos a la Rick Bayless with green chile adobo Saturday. French dip sandwiches Sunday. Stuffed green peppers in a Philly cheesesteak tonight delivered to the new parents after helping bathe the grandson! And made a non authentic but tasty and quick Mongolian
beef for myself. Froze the rest. Whew!

26 Likes

Produce is getting better and better here in the Bay Area - time for a vegetable soup after going through the produce department. Soup included cauliflower, green beans, kohlrabi, carrots, corn, green onions, celery, tomatoes, Swiss chard and fennel. Added some spelt to make it more substantial. Finished with some pistou to get some extra flavor.

22 Likes

Butter lake . . It’s my new adjective.

6 Likes

It reminds of reading “Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs,” one of my faves growing up.

3 Likes

Wow, that looks amazing. I already searched out the recipe and plan to try it this week. Thanks

1 Like

You sure you don’t have some Korean blood in your lineage? :kr::wink:

3 Likes

Has WFD ever broken the 800 reply mark in the month the WFD was created? I think there’s a new record coming our way!

Making spinach into something tonight. I have some cooked rice from a katsu chicken & rice takeout, and a request for lamb, so I think I’ll make a fried rice as a side, with some sort of Chinese or maybe Burmese lamb as a main. Off to Google Burmese lamb, if that’s a thing.

Oh wow, these look good.Burmese Mutton Puffs

Ok, inspired by this , making something like this Burma Superstar Chili Lamb

7 Likes

Yup, we have. We have one over 1,100 (August 2019) with 5 over 900.

https://www.hungryonion.org/tag/wfd?order=posts

4 Likes

You may or may not know that the co-op in Damariscotta has at least three shelves of locally-made fermented veggies. I haven’t tried them all yet but it sure does make for an easy side.

2 Likes

Ya, she used a wood-burning tool to decorate a bunch of cutting boards and wooden cooking utensils.

22 Likes

Made South Indian Chicken Pickle a bit back so for an easy dinner, just made some rice to eat it with.

20 Likes

We spent the weekend in Atlanta, where I enjoyed not cooking. Last night at home I made chicken tenders, which I lightly dredged in seasoned flour, pan fried, and served over creamy pesto sauce. Sides were steamed buttered broccoli and white beans with Romesco sauce (really leftover roasted red pepper and pecan salsa).

23 Likes

I love chicken tenders, but have never thought to combine them with pesto, which I also love… will have to correct!

2 Likes