What's For Dinner #79 - the Carly Simon "An-ti-ci-pay-yay-shun" Edition - March 2022

Pad Kra Pao from The Woks of Life, but with added mint and lemongrass because I had it. Lots of really good flavors. Wished I’d put a fried egg on it though…

23 Likes

Tortellini out of a box with homemade Polish kielbasa, cannellini beans and garden kale.

18 Likes

That’s a gem of a cookbook.

1 Like

i don’t have it but i have often made recipes from it that I find online. and yes, they’re always good!

1 Like

If you have an opportunity to borrow the book from the library, I recommend it.
There is a fountain of information at the front of the book that you miss by stricktly cooking from online recipes only.
I believe it was @MunchkinRedux that suggested it on the WFD thread that @Amandarama organized on CH.
Please feel free to correct me if I’m not remembering correctly.

1 Like

i haven’t been on CH in like 8 years…

I know i should get it, for that reason. I’m just trying not to buy cookbooks anymore… but I may make an exception. But you know how exceptions open the floodgates!

2 Likes

They most certainly do :grin:

1 Like

Cocotte (SF, used to live close by so recreate it sometimes) style roast chicken in the steam oven. With porcini sauce, cilantro sauce, dijon, baguette, and arugula.

(Shameless placement of the spatula my mom made for me for xmas since I took these photos to show her I’m using it)

25 Likes

Chickpea-zucchini patties with parsley, garlic, panko and eggs. Dip made with yoghurt, feta and basil. Served with oven roasted eggplants (herbes de Provence, honey, cilantro)

23 Likes

Great spatula! Does your mom use a wood-burning tool for the decorations? I have fond memories of all the destruction my brother and I caused with our wood-burning set… :smiley:

2 Likes

Had a great no-meat meal last night. Forgot to take a picture. In the Instant pot I cooked frozen corn-on-the-cob and a sweet potato. Added a sliced tomato, green onion, and baked some biscuits.

Noticed my picture was up again for some reason instead of just my name, so uploaded a picture and hopefully, my picture will not come back up.

7 Likes

I see a beautiful art-deco / Peter Max type of fleur-de-lis mask. I love it!

2 Likes

Why thank you! This might be my favorite thread so far :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

I love this thread yet have venured out and found a few treasures along the way.

1 Like

Ina Garten’s Lamb and Chickpea curry stew with Garlic Basmati rice and clean out the fridge salad.

18 Likes

Tonight’s dinner was an oriental chicken salad.

17 Likes

We were supposed to have red braised pork ribs tonight, but didn’t have a lot in the tank when I got home. So we are grazing in front of the TV with nibbly things - pimiento cheese from Amá (freezer find), creamy salsa dip (half purchased habanero salsa/half sour cream), pepper jack, chorizo, and tortilla chips. IPA for him and Sauvignon Blanc for me.

20 Likes

@amandarama

Your nibbly dinners always give me a serious case of the wants.

5 Likes

Low and slow roasted chicken I have been making once or twice a year since a 2006 Chowhound post by CH Sean Dell. Faux-Tisserie Chicken gets you google facsimiles. A 3lb local pastured chicken rubbed all over with avocado oil, at 300F for an hour, rubbed all over with salted butter and back into 300F oven for another hour. Delicious! Super low energy so only accompaniment was some kimchi.

24 Likes

Aw, shucks @MunchkinRedux :blush:

I am looking forward to sharing the red braised dish here in the near-ish future though. That thing is bomb. This week just went completely sideways.

1 Like