What's For Dinner #79 - the Carly Simon "An-ti-ci-pay-yay-shun" Edition - March 2022

Pickle pickle? Like you bottled it? I’m impressed!

I still remember when my dad brought back chicken pickle for me from a business trip when I was maybe 10 (yes, he would bring back interesting food :joy:) – it was the first time I had ever encountered meat as a pickle, and it kind of blew my mind a little… till then it was lime pickle or mango pickle or various other vegetable formats.

1 Like

We had a very long and tiring day, so dinner was very simple… leftover soups (scotch broth, tomato for mom) and assorted other bits from the fridge - finger sandwiches (chicken mayo, roasted lamb), eggless “quiche” for mom, and banana bread I made late last night (for everyone but me). A strong few sips of chai to end.

9 Likes

@LindaWhit they really are! I was thinking of my older nephew, who walks by and snacks on them just as I used to as a kid – I have to make twice as many because he’ll eat a whole batch that way!

That looks amazing. I love Indian food, chicken and pickles! How have I not ever heard of chicken pickles. I am going to absolutely have to try making this. Do you have a recipe/source to recommend?

When I read your post, I had Grace Young’s book next to me on the table. I hadn’t tried that recipe for eggs and shrimp, but now I will. Probably tomorrow.

1 Like

It is really good. My friend in college would bring it home from visits to home and I hadn’t had anything like it (still don’t see it outside of homes).

But it’s not chicken and pickles… it’s called chicken pickle and is just chicken and spices/flavorings. I guess they call it pickle since it kind of preserves the meat (I’m sure more in the past than now). South India has a whole culture of them including different proteins.

After Sus and her families moved to the east coast I don’t have the luxury of having her make it, or the masala, for me anymore but she recommended this recipe for me in the times I’m not visiting: https://www.sailusfood.com/andhra-chicken-pickle/

5 Likes

Ya, I put it in a jar, but keep it in the fridge just in case. But in any case, it keeps “forever” (aka as long as it takes us to eat it).

1 Like

Always interesting to think about whether the hot and fast or low and slow roast is optimal. But one cannot argue with that photo. It looks scrumptious.

1 Like

We did summer rolls last night. Guys, I’m sorry - things have been so hectic, I have just not slowed down enough for photos. Anyway, communal hot water on the table. Rice circles were on offer, along with: marinated and baked tofu strips, peanut-sauced mung bean threads, cuke and bell pepper strips, bean sprouts, chives/basil/mint, sautteed chopped mushrooms. Fish sauce and hoisin sauce for drizzles. I love this meal. I also love making my family help make dinner! If they roll their own, I only have to set out the components.

Ok- adding a pic of what this dinner typically looks like when we have it (but this isn’t yesterday’s dinner).

21 Likes

That chicken pickle looks amazing!
Centuries ago, my good college friend’s mother (from Kerala) made a batch and sent it back with friend. First time tasting for most of the rest of us and the bottle didn’t last beyond the first dinner time.
That picture brought back a great food memory.

4 Likes

This looks amazing - trying asap!

1 Like

I made bone-in pork chops and broccoli-quinoa salad with radishes, dates, pistachios, cheddar, and ras el hanout.

16 Likes

Thanks for the recipe - I am definitely going to have to try this. The spicing seems to incorporate a number of those used in various Indian pickles. I see it also calls for lots of curry leaves which I love. I buy a bag or two every time I see them.

Super easy but tasty. GreeNoodles tossed with shredded leftover roast chicken, scallions, some of the solidly gelatinous chicken drippings, soy sauce and Baoning vinegar, then anointed with an injudicious (but not regretted) amount of chili oil.

21 Likes

(post deleted by author)

1 Like

Tonight Pappardelle with IG’s Lamb and Chickpea Curry stew with a side of green beans.
I noticed that I have quite a few bags to use up when I reorganized my freezer the other day. So lately lots of green beans for Supper.

19 Likes

I braised lamb with Burmese spices. I crossed the Burmese Superstar Chili Lamb recipe with an Australian Good Food recipe.

Took the soy sauce, rice vinegar, garlic, cumin, sugar from this recipe: https://www.popsugar.com/food/Burma-Superstar-Chili-Lamb-Recipe-43379863

Took the ginger and turmeric from this recipe : https://www.goodfood.com.au/recipes/burmese-lamb-with-yoghurt-20131030-2wgtw

Braised, covered at 280 degrees for 2 h.

Roasted radicchio. I soaked the raw radicchio on ice water for a few hours, which removed the bitterness, before roasting. Olive oil and vinegar. Thanks for suggesting soaking the radicchio, @pistachiopeas .

Spinach wilted in the oven. Squeeze of lemon.

20 Likes

Question:
I didn’t realize that I deleted this. Do I have a place that I can go to retreive it and repost it?

It’s gone after it’s deleted :frowning:

Ok thanks