What's For Dinner #79 - the Carly Simon "An-ti-ci-pay-yay-shun" Edition - March 2022

Thank you! And nice to see you here too!

1 Like

TY! We had an EPIC party to go with the pig.Live band, special outdoor tents, catered appetizers, all of that. It was AWESOME!

10 Likes

We are in Kuwait until August. And Thursday is their Friday here. But this pig took a day of prep and two days of cooking. About 12 hours and we had to start the fire the night before. So, we had 3 nights of prep as well. And there ”might’ve” been some booze involved. :wink:

5 Likes

It IS labor intensive. And I am not skilled enough to build the box and all that went into it. My husband is the star of this dish. Because without him, we would not have had the pig.

7 Likes

OK, that is a sure sign of a GREAT whole pig party! Looks amazing!

6 Likes

Hey WFD crowd - our voting threads for COTQ and DOTQ are live! Come join us:

4 Likes

A very recognizable dinner last night — Swedish meatballs with mushroom gravy, truffled mashed potatoes, and lightly-dressed tomatoes.

20 Likes

@articshark what a show-stopper of a WFD!!! I absolutely love the variety of sauces you made! A friend does a pig roast every October and I will try to remember to bring a few of the sauces you made when I go to it this year. His wife makes a heavenly chimichurri but having some choices would be nice.

6 Likes

Wow. That’s just epic.

4 Likes

I only cook pizza at home a few times a year since don’t really have the correct setup. But the best is a pan pizza, then once I have the oven cranking I’ll usually do a fake neo-neopalitan style, which for me means heating up a comal on the cooktop and finishing in a preheated, hot oven under the broiler.

Pan (pepperoni, pickled jalapeño, olives):

Fake neo-neopalitan:
IMG_9528-ANIMATION

22 Likes

Love the video of the pizza in the oven with bubbling cheese starting to brown.
That is one of my absolute favourite things.

2 Likes

I can’t even begin to describe how awesome AND exhausting it was. I feel like I had a baby! :smiley:

8 Likes

I choose two themes- Asian and South of the Border- for the sauces. I could’ve gone a Hawaiian route as well. But I thought I did enough!

1 Like

Thank you!

1 Like

You surely did! Such lucky guests!!

2 Likes

IF I said I was the lucky one, I would sound totally like a suck a cheeseball. But it’s true.

1 Like

Soooooo impressed!!!

2 Likes

A quick and easy dinner before Providence College’s game tonight (Go Friars; I am a native Rhode Islander and a huge basketball fan…I played point/shooting guard in high school).

Fridge dive found broccoli and lemons. And we always have garlic, onions, beans, capers, and pasta in the house. NYT’s white bean piccata pasta with broccoli was a no-brainer. I used whole wheat casarecce from a one-woman local bulk food operation. B added grated Parmesan. I gotta get ready for my game.

21 Likes

Your idea of “Dinner being a rushed affair” and mine are different. You have many sides that sound like they’ve been perfectly seasoned. You’re my hero.

I would make the homemade tartar sauce the day before rice and wild battered Pollack took about the same time to cook. Side was either frozen corn and peas added to the rice or cooked carrots and peas with a roux (prepared the day before and just warmed up).

Tonight’s side was a empty the fridge salad ( and no little league tonight).
This was our favourite meal after little league:

17 Likes

What a week. Leek and goat cheese omelette, made with duck eggs and cooked in duck fat. Sourdough toast with TPSTOB. Simples.

19 Likes