What's for Dinner #78 - The Hearts, Candy, Flowers & Slushy Snow Edition - February 2022

HOLY EFF!!!

i’ve never understood that combo, but you make me want to try it again. that chicken is :fire:!!

1 Like

Be still my heart…

2 Likes

Try adding it to a small pot of rice during the last 10 minutes of cooking. Just let it steam on top and mix through when the rice is done.

4 Likes

That is drool-worthy!

1 Like

As I always do when I make risotto, I use the leftovers for arancini. Delicious in the air fryer. Only needed to add an egg yolks and its done!

Dinner was a steak which I quick thawed from the freezer that ended up like shoe leather despite a perfectly medium center. Will never do that again! I’ve never had a problem with chicken or shrimp

13 Likes

I’m low-carbing, so the cauliflower is a rice replacement. Any day now I am just gonna go back to rice.

2 Likes

I made a lentil salad with clementine-shallot dressing and roasted butternut squash, Brussels sprouts, and CSA beets. Also included spinach, feta, croutons, pepitas, tomatoes, cucumbers, and golden raisins. Roasted Frankenchicken breasts rubbed with herbes d’provence and Spicewalla honey and herb seasoning. Half of my chicken went into the leftover salad for lunch. This was very good!

18 Likes

Like the combo of the herbs with the Spicewalla blend!

2 Likes

It was 80 degrees on the Southern Oregon coast today. I visited Dracula, got my hair cut, walked around the port, went to the farmers market for cheese and veg, got boosted and grocery shopped. I love pepper and I have been drooling over all the steak au poivre posts. Steak was on sale today so 'twas kismet. I only sliced half of the strip steak as I knew that was all I could eat. Served with fingerling potatoes fried in duck fat with scallions, salad was mixed greens, asparagus, tomato, avocado, red onion, blue cheese and ranch dressing. Cocktail was a dirty Gibson. Bombay Sapphire, M&R extra dry vermouth, Tipsy onions and brine.

17 Likes

Oh Wow - you described a day and a meal I can only dream about.

2 Likes

Tried making some sandwich rolls using this recipe:

Came out not bad I think but not as airy as I thought it would be. Used half of one to make a turkey, avocado, and cheese sandwich for dinner.

17 Likes

Dream meal right there!

3 Likes

Quesadilla night. They’ve been a weekly go-to for about a month now. May take a break after tonight so we don’t get sick of 'em.

This picture won’t win any awards, but my secret for amazing chicken quesadillas is grilling the chicken and then chopping it into itty bitty pieces (rather than strips). I then throw it back on the grill pan for another minute or two to ensure even cooking. And when it is cut up this fine, you don’t have to worry about it being overcooked. Makes it easier to handle the quesadilla when eating as well. Chicken was rubbed with olive oil, salt, cracked pepper, Adobo, cumin, chili powder, cayenne pepper, and onion and garlic powders. As for the quesadilla itself, a Mexican blend shredded cheese, black beans, raw onions and red bell pepper, and cilantro. Cooked on a very low flame so the cheese melts and gets all ooey goey without burning.

17 Likes

Quick use-what’s-in-the-fridge pasta turned out better than I expected. Big bunch of broccoli stems (like broccolini but meatier), a chunk of blue cheese, and a slivered garlic clove made a gorgeous “sauce” for orecchiette pasta.

I coarsely chopped the last of the Marcona almonds we had and scattered them on top for crunch.

15 Likes

Snapper and sprouts
Screen Shot 2022-02-10 at 7.33.29 AM

19 Likes

Breading on the snapper looks so light and lacy! Do I detect the work of your artful hand?

1 Like

1/3 AP flour, 1/3 rice flour, 1/3 cornstarch, 1/2 teasp. baking powder, salt, seltzer water.

Funny aside: It WAS very light and shattering I thought it excellent. DH was disappointed as he was hoping for the more pancake-like coating his mother used to make. i don’t know how to do that…

9 Likes

A light, tempura-like batter on seafood is my ideal too.

P.S. I may have been conditioned by the fry job at our favorite clam shack here in Massachusetts (Woodman’s).

Some locals poke fun at Woodman’s because it’s such a big place. But man, oh man, when I am staring down a pile of fried clams with battered onion rings I simply think, “Fine, more for me.” Other nearby places also have great fried clams though so far nobody’s outdone Woodman’s onion rings, for us.

8 Likes

NO, NO, NO!!! Woodman’s is OUR c;lam shack! Since '85. We tried others in Essex but never found as good food or ambiance. It just always seemed right to us.
Glad we agree.

3 Likes

:rofl::rofl::rofl: You made my day with this!

3 Likes